Thread: rFactor2

Liked: 99

Default rFactor2

After much back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger on a complete setup with solid equipment and have decided rFactor > iRacing. Just seems much more accurate to me but the downside I have seen thus far is that the average person like myself may have a hard time finding all of the tracks, painting cars/helmets/etc. Can someone point me in a good direction to download additional tracks for the system? A tutorial or where to go for modifying the cars with paint, etc? I have been searching for a while on this thing and cannot seem to figure out either. I was able to download a track from the multiplayer interface where it forced the download but other than that, cannot seem to find anything that seems to work. Any help would be appreciated!
    -Nick

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Hi Nick.
    welcome to Rfactor racing! first question i must ask, are you on Steam? cause if you are most cars and track downloads are pretty easy. when you first fire up steam go to the game tag and on that page under the banner that says Steam Workshop - hit the highlighted: Browse The Workshop. find the car or track you like, subscribe to it. now - exit out of steam and then start it back up, you will see it down load the cars and tracks.
    if you are not on steam (consider it) if you don't want steam, then go here: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php
    you will find a lot of cars and tracks under Third Party Content. you then have to download the mod to your computer, unzip it and transfer that file to your package folder. now start rfactor up you will see and open box icon second down on left hand side, click it and find your mod and hit the install button on bottom of page. been a while since i installed anything this way so anybody that can help, chime in.. that is why i am on steam.
    as far as painting - that can get really involved. try running a search thru some of our old files or run a search on studio-397 forums. you need to have a program like Adobe Photoshop Elements that is able to convert the PDS file you download to a DDS file.
    hope this helps - Good Luck.
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Thank you, found it!

Now, talk with me about traction control/stability/etc?

I tried turning all of it off and it was insanely unrealistic. Seemed much more real with all of it on! Using a G27 setup for now until the Fanatec stuff arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -Nick

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

most leagues run their events with all the traction, stability and driving aids turned OFF. except some leagues allow auto clutch.
    everything is done with setup either car or wheel. now here you are getting to the heart of the matter and everybody is different. how i run my wheel might not be good for you and your fanatec wheel will be different then the G27. this is what takes all the time and hours of practice are for. your wheel has global settings outside of the game and the game has settings too. you then have to match this to the car you are racing and the car setup. your wheel rotation might be different for the USF2000 versus a Flat 6 Porsche. and the driving style for each car is way different too.
    go play with some settings and see what you like. i would turn off all the driving aids, cause if you bank on them and then go into a league that doesn't have them you will be sunk......
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Liked: 341

I agree with Jerry on this. What you describe (drives better with the aids on and impossible without) sounds like the wheel setup. The driving better with the aids on is because the computer is taking over for you. That said, it is a long process to get it all where you want it. Sensitivity, deadzone, degrees of rotation, forced feedback amount, calibration of the pedals and wheel, etc. All I can say is keep at it and try not to get too frustrated. Once you get it, you will find the aids annoying as it will not allow you to drive the car the way you want to. The only aid I use is the auto clutch because for some reason, the programmers think that you need to clutch every shift in a USF2000 car. Apparently the term "crash box" is not known to them.

As for paint schemes, that one is not easy. You will need an photo editor (the big name is photoshop). I downloaded for free online paint.net for mine and it worked fine. There is simply too much to teach about layers and trying to line things up to really go through here. I think there may be some tutorials over on the site that Jerry provided.

Hope you get it worked out and if we end up with a league, hope you join us.

Eric Little

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 447

So glad you have seen the light about how rF2 is a better "sim" than iRacing. It's just unfortunate that iRacing has all of the online multiplayer attention. Maybe if we can get a few more, it may increase my motivation to get the league going. It's VERY tough to go through the steps for a league when we have 3 or 4 people interested. Maybe a lot of the guys on the fence will get sim gear for Christmas and come out and play.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    So glad you have seen the light about how rF2 is a better "sim" than iRacing. It's just unfortunate that iRacing has all of the online multiplayer attention. Maybe if we can get a few more, it may increase my motivation to get the league going. It's VERY tough to go through the steps for a league when we have 3 or 4 people interested. Maybe a lot of the guys on the fence will get sim gear for Christmas and come out and play.

Thanks, Keith. I will certainly come out and play with you guys once I get these settings right on the Fanatec Clubsport once it all arrives. Anyone happen to have good baseline setup info for them? Wheel and pedals?

I primarily use the sim for practice before race weekends as I do find it very useful for that. But now with my boys getting older and the bigger one getting into karting, the kart sim on rFactor has taken over!
    -Nick

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by NPalacioM3 View Post
    But now with my boys getting older and the bigger one getting into karting, the kart sim on rFactor has taken over!
    I was going to say, you will get to use the sim when L1 & L2 have gone to bed...
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Ok, have this new setup running and it is in fact much better. So when does this F2000 league start up??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -Nick

Thread Information