Liked: 0

Please Help, Looking for Crossle FF to race with VARA. Currently running a Porsche 911S in CP. Looking to possibly make a change. Any info that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about these cars. What years are better, what should I look for, Safety issues, etc?

Thank you
    Mark Scott
    [email]m267s@adelphia.net[/email] or
    [email]mark@bankersexpressmortgage.com[/email]

Jerry Sloot

owned a 32F for about 6-7 yrs now, great car. you are on the right track .....a 30F to a 45F and most any of 'em - a classic club FF. Safety issue? ...some want to add a bar that runs from the main hoop forward at shoulder height and then connecting to the front hoop....some do, some don't, the rest of the safety thing is mostly up to how late you brake....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

[quote]Safety issue? ...some want to add a bar that runs from the main hoop forward at shoulder height and then connecting to the front hoop [/quote]I'm rebuilding my 30f and am wondering if there are any pics of what Eyerace is talking about. My sidebars don't go as far as the forward hoop and I want the car to be as safe as is possible.

Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar

You probably have a round bar tying the roll hoop to the upper frame rail. That bar connects to your roll hoop just below the bodywork. Imagine a horizontal bar from that point at the roll hoop all the way to the front roll hoop, following the shape of the bodywork.

Does that make sense?

Contributing Member

Tim-
    Absolutely right. Should I cut of the existing bars and install them like you say?

Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar

There's nothing to cut. The new horizontal bar is welded in where the other diagonal bar meets the roll hoop.

Contributing Member

Tim-
    Now I think I've lost you.
    I'll email pics of my car in the next couple of days so I can understand exactly what it is you are describing.
    Thank you.
    Mike

Mark: I sent you a detailed email to both addresses with details about my Crossle 45F. Also sent pictures to your home email. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rick Johnson cell phone 404-310-4329 EST

christopher burke

mark;
    I think Rob Fritchel's 32F is still for sale here in CA. The ad is still in the Cal club newspaper. It is worth every bit of the 10k asking price. But don't just race VARA, we need more in the SF class here in CA.

I didn't realize VARA let such "new" cars in! I'd heard that they had a class that allowed newer FF's to race from a friend with an Eagle ('79 I think). Sounds like everything before the Swift is Vintage FF.

Maybe that's what Jim Dickson was talking about! ;)
    Brad

christopher burke

In a sense, yes, anything post 1972 and pre1983 can run with VARA in the "mod-Ford" class. I did a race with them in September. Loads of fun, beautiful cars, great food. There are only about 8 Mod Fords in the region so far, I think, mostly Crossles. Bud Morrison runs a Lola.

Liked: 126

I don't believe Fritchell's Crossle is still for sale. His VanDieman, Crossle and trailer have been running in the So-Pac news (dating back to CalClub newsletter days) forever and a day. My friend bought his VD and did so about a year ago! I made him an offer on his Crossle about 4 months later. It was refused, I bought a different Crossle and later learned he had sold his. By the way it's not a 32, it is a 34/35.

VARA's Mod Ford group is getting larger. For the Record, Neal Rupp (club president) also runs a Lola and Brian O'Shaughnessy will be driving an Eagle next season. It looks like the Mod Ford group is growing.

Liked: 126

Cool!

If/When I get my car finished (donation$ welcome) you can increase the count by one more!

Hey Murray,

Count me in for the 2003 season. Mod-Ford continues to grow! Can't wait for the 2003 season.

Craig

I have Allan Lader's 32 that is in outstanding form with a great Loyning. Bill Wilson looked after it and upgraded it over the past year.

If you are still looking, let me know.

Ric

Liked: 1

Are there VARA races that someone in the SF bay area can get to? Do they run at Buttonwillow? What about Oregon? BTW I own a Crossle 32. Great car.

M. Wells

VARA does have Buttonwillow on the schedule on May 3 and 4 and on September 27 and 28. Those are the closest to you and the May event is called the "British Extravaganza" and is a really big event. It draws over 250 entries. We expect 10 or more Club Fords this year at that event (our name for '73 through "83 FF)Come on in the water is fine.

Look at the Club Ford section, I posted the VARA 2003 event schedule.

Craig

Thread Information