Liked: 1

Default Wanted: Fontana ARRIVE AND DRIVE

Anyone know of someone that might have an ARRIVE AND DRIVE opportunity in the western region SCCA?

Looking to drive Formula Vee, Formula Ford or Formula Mazda to get some additional practice before the NEDIV season begins in April.

Fontana regional in January looks possible if I can find a ride.

Chris
    chrismcaruso@yahoo.com

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Jan is Reg at Buttomwillow which would fine but I am not sure the weather is worth the gamble. At a minimum there is a good chance of heavy fog before noon.

Feb is the Major at Fontana. This is a Roval at its worst... very weak on technical turns. I live 2 hrs away and have never bothered to race there.

Willow Springs in March is a Majors. The fastest road coarse in the US. One down shift into 3rd per lap with 80% of the lap spent flat in 4th.

Brian

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

I'd disagree about the challenge of Fontana. Of all the rovals I've driven, it's easily the most fun and most technical. Setting up a car and driving through the flat infield is tough and challenging. The entry into the infield, the double left into the very fast chicane to a decreasing radius hairpin, then getting max speed, sliding out the last turn to the oval was so much fun! The 1:45 I did there without a draft may have been one of my best laps!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I hate Fontana because (A) it's a track where you don't want to be leading taking the white flag. (B) the "indoor dump" next door means the place reeks something fierce if it's hot and there's no wind. (C) it's almost always windy. (D) if it is not hot and/or windy it's probably raining and the section of the infield before getting back onto the oval floods.

I live 15 miles from Cal Speedway. . . it is my least favorite track, but it is fairly technical. Certainly, moreso than a track like Willow where you are flat out, pedal to the medal in a FV for 94.8% of a lap, with 4 gear changes in a minute and a half.

Liked: 18

If you want to come up north in May for Portland or Seattle, we could have a car ready for you...

arthursix@shaw.ca

cheers, Robbie
    Robbie Arthur FV #67

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

Default Schedule?

Thank you for the reply. Do you have a 2019 schedule yet that I could review? Portland/Seattle not out of the question for me, depending on dates and availability.

Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie.Arthur View Post
    If you want to come up north in May for Portland or Seattle, we could have a car ready for you...

arthursix@shaw.ca

cheers, Robbie

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Portland and Seattle are beyond your stated April limit.

If you were to include April then you could consider Thunderhill and a little late Buttonwillow, both Major events. Both excellent club owned tracks. Thunderhill might have a regional earlier than April. An open test day at either track might be a better bang for you buck fi track time is your goal.

Brian

Thread Information