Liked: 530

Default Need to build a trailer door

Hi all,
    Throwing this out there, hoping for ideas. I have a Cherokee aluminum 5th wheel toy hauler that needs a rear ramp door. I bought it used last year. The makeshift door that was on it did not have angle on the perimeter, thus it has gaps and doesn't seal, plus it is the wrong size, not square, not strong enough, and was piano hinged so it did not open level with the trailer floor like most car haulers. I am not sure but the original setup may have been barn doors.

I'd like the ramp to be sturdy enough for 4000lb car, but only 1 axle at a time is necessary. The inside top header is shorter than my other steel frame car hauler so I'm not sure an overhead spring is an option.

Cherokee is not in business to buy parts from anymore. I am having a hard time finding someone to build a door. I live in the Tampa, FL area.

I'm thinking 3"h x 2"w x 1/4" aluminum rectangle tube as an outer frame with two more runners where the tires would roll and one beam down the center might be sufficient. Covered on the inside with aluminum diamond plate (thickness?). Was thinking aluminum to keep weight down. Door opening is approx. 84"h x 82"w. Wells cargo makes a hinge spring (cable-less door spring) but I can't figure out how to source it. And thus far haven't found a shop to actually build the door. One was willing to do it but when I asked what their method would be it was to just lay the aluminum on the floor and weld it. I'm afraid it would warp and not be a square door then.

Any ideas for sources or methods or plans or competent shops around Tampa FL would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Liked: 307

Are there any trailer construction organizations anywhere near your area? For $$$$$ I expect they could construct something to your liking. Or maybe one of their employees would take on the job as 'side work'.

I know there are several trailer constructors in Southern Georgia.

Liked: 530

Haven't found a constructor, only dealers and resellers. South GA is where my other trailer was built. But they didn't know the difference between "on center" and "inside track" measurements .. welded my e-track in the wrong spot. That was a lot of fun when I went to pick up! Thank God I brought a tape measure and checked. Of course I could only depart with what they had already built, but at least I got a discount and new unmounted e-track for consideration.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 307

Are there any shops performing damaged trailer repair, to fix the trailer of someone that cornered their trailer against the house as the were backing it up the driveway?

Liked: 1880

just go find a local race car builder - and decent one should be able to do the job easily.

Fred Clark (Caracal FV) up in Jacksonville is one place I'd contact.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 920

You probably know this but make sure it is a thumb sucking tight fit in the opening. A ramp door increases the overall stiffness of a trailer body immensely when it fits properly.

I second the race car constructor idea.

I know one guy who mounted so much crap on his ramp door that the spring would not provide enough help to lift it. Solution: attach winch cable to it to raise and lower.

Thread Information