Liked: 0

I recently sold my tow vehicle and now I'm thinking about going with a super-low-profile tow package to get me through this season.

I have a nice lightweight single-axle open trailer with a tire rack and room for tools, etc. I'd be towing with a 97 VW GTI VR6, which has a 2000 lb tow capacity. I don't have the exact weight of my trailer yet, but let's assume I could keep it under the limit. Does anyone have any experience doing such a thing? Any words of wisdom (such as, "you idiot, don't even think about doing that!")

I realize it would put an extra burden on the GTI, but I would only be doing this for trips to my "local" tracks (less then 100 miles away).

Thanks!
    Paul Reineck
    VD RF86

What does the owner's manual for your car suggest in regard to towing?

Regards,
    Gerry
    Chuck Lessick

ZATgraphics.com
    2006 Top Private Team Cooper Tire Series

Paul,
    I'm not going to call you any names but I would strongly suggest you not tow with the VW. I've been towing with my 4 cylinder Ford Ranger and even though I try to keep everything to a minimum, my little pickup is straining. Your trailer would have to be longer than the VW and because of the VW's length and front wheel drive, you might have some huge difficulties with stability. The higher your tongue weight, the lighter your front axle will be.

I'd suggest getting a beater Toyota P/U or save to get something that's meant to tow. If your trailer is light enough to get you under the 2000# limit, it's not a very sturdy trailer! And from your description of the trailer, it sounds like it's probably around 2000# by itself.

Or rent a truck from Ryder, Penske, etc.

[size="1"][ January 21, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Garey Guzman ][/size]
    Brad

the fact that you had a tow vehicle indicates that you did not consider your street car to be qualified to be used as a tow vehicle. Good choice.

Depending on the number of events you want to go to, you might find someone (worker, other team crew etc) that is going to the same event and has a truck. You pay for their gas (and a 6-pack)& they tow to/from.

another choice is to rent a pickup for the weekend. rates are lower than during the week. just don't tell them you are going to tow. light hookups are easy with an $8.00 pigtail from pep boys/autozone & can be removed before returning the rental. don't forget to take your ball off of the truck also. bumper footstep usually has provision for trailer ball. ok for light formula car. tools & spares go in truck bed.
    dont take chance on messing up your GTI.

I tow my 1978 PRS CF with a 2002 1.8T Passat, Tiptronic trans, same setup, light trailer, no trailer brakes, etc. VW says 1,500 max trailer weight. I'm at the limit with this setup.

Ran 12 races in last year with no problems. All tracks in CO within 60 - 120 miles.

Jerry Sloot

years ago i towed an 1800 pound MG on a trailer that weighed about 1500 lbs with a 2.2 liter [or was it 2.6?] 4 banger in a minivan - ask yourself how much the minivan weighed - my guess was the van was close to 2800 pounds itself....anyway, ask yourself....can i tow at 48 miles an hour on the freeway, can i take off very very slowly, can i make it up that hill might be the best question [not many of them in florida]...but i'll bet on you being able to tow with what you have, just take it very easy and don't try to go too fast...use 93 octane and install a tranny cooler if your car doesn't one and perhaps change out your thermostat in the tow car, also use synthetic oil in the tow car and make sure you are on the high edge of the allowable tire inflations always

Towed for a year with a BMW 325. My trailer was under 500 lbs, so I was just under the 2000 lb rating fully loaded. With the tongue weight set properly, there were no issues. With it set too light (too much weight aft of the trailer's axle) the rig would sway like crazy under braking.

Plan on a new set of brakes in the VW by the end of the season.

Geoff

Thanks for the responses. This is not by any means a long term solution - I'd just like to get by on a couple weekends this year, and it would be nice to have a hitch to move the trailer around if necessary.

I do like the idea of renting or borrowing a pickup - that's something I considered when I decided to get rid of my van. I figured the cost of renting something for a few weekends would be comparable to the maintenance and insurance on a second vehicle. And I'll do anything to keep from owning an SUV (sorry Steve B.)!!

I've seen Europeans tow some amazingly big stuff with cars.

With brings me to these British trailers.

[url="http://www.brianjames-europe.com/uk/default.html"]http://www.brianjames-europe.com/uk/default.html[/url]

Kind of cool.

DENIS

Biggest problem I faced a couple of years ago using a V6 Ranger to tow to CO and back was not the loads, but the wind. When you get a real head wind I don't care what the 'rating' is, you'll be laboring.

Liked: 104

Hello
    If you get the tounge wheight right on a trailer with brakes there should be no problems exept traction on standing starts. You see a lot of VW Golf towing here in europe. With such a light trailer no problem.

Henrik

Years ago I towed my Lola 342 with a Rabbit. The amazing thing was that it worked pretty well. I used it for two years with an open trailer loaded will all the typical junk needed for a weekend. I now have a much bigger enclosed trailer and I tow with a Dodge + Cummings Diesel which is a fabulous package. But the Rabbit did just fine with the smaller load.

Tim Dunn

DENIS

Not to dismiss the original question, but it sounds like we've answered it. So, let's kill some time and add some more tow stories.

Dateline January 1990: I'm leaving SP in CA to embark on my illustrious Bondurnat career <cough> in the yet to be built PHX desert....As an avid vintage VW fan I have a number of vehicles to move.

Loaded up at the 'barn' is my '59 Single Cab pick up. In the back is my Yamaha 750 (I miss that bike) as well as a vast assortment of tools, misc spares, and some housewares. On the back of this old truck is a rickety bumper with a hitch on it....

On the other end of the hitch is, what else? A VW tow bar of course. On that is a recent 'find'; a '54 ragtop I couldn't pass up! Inside this clapped out beast is all the spares he had with it. Such as a few extra 36hp cases, carbs, jugs, etc. et. And I mean etc. Air up the tires on both and we are under way.....

Normally this is about a 12-14 hour drive I'd say. But in a '59 Single Cab it's a bit longer, about 60mph tops. Got the dog with me- Barney the Pitbull, and we are moving right along down I-5. Up ahead is "the grapevine" on this road that takes you over the mountains into LA. As we plug away I down shift to third (thank god for reduction boxes even with the 1600 plugged in this truck) and we head up the hill. Nearing the top at about 9-10pm I'd bet we hit snow! Just enough to make it miserable. Now, there are a few things in an old VW that are not so good as reduction boxes....such as defrosters, and brakes.

This old truck pulls like a tank, but stopping it is sometimes a bit of a mission. Single master, manually adjusted drums, and lose steering pins all make for some intersting stopping. As it gets worse we simply do the best to run in second gear and keep the speed down hill in check. Once the snow clears we pick up again and deal with the rain.

Made it all the way to PHX the next day after stopping for the night in Ontario or somewhere. By the time we hit AZ it's still chugging along and I've had more 'looks' than I can count! "Hey, it's a VW pulling a VW" to the simple "you're nuts" reply.

Used that truck for a few years for the best work truck I ever had. Fold down sides and all. Just not up to city traffic. I was an accident waiting to happen given its driving style. Oh well. And man, I loved that dog :( <sniff>

Contributing Member

Hey Paul.
    Go for it. When I can't borrow a truck, I pull my trailer, toolbox, spares, and two extra sets of wheels and tires with a chev Berretta(Fr wheel drive 2.8 V6 with auto tranny). My tounge weight is about 200 pounds. The V6 pulls it just fine. I'd add a tranny cooler though. Just plan for long stopping distances. In emergency stop situations, my front brakes will lock up but just drive sain and you'll be fine. When you want to race, you'll use any means to get your race car to the track.
    Cheers
    Neil
    RF89
    Ray

Liked: 19

I am skeptical of using the GTI due to potential tongue weight/weight distribution issues. However, I am sure it has adequate power. My first tow vehicle was an '84 S-10 with the 2.8 V-6 and 5-speed. It was adequate for my rig - a Don Parker British FF trailer and FF with a total weight of about 1500 lbs. [In case anyone is interested, the trailer is listed as "Lightweight FF Trailer" in the For Sale category] I replaced the '84 S-10 with a '92 S-10 with the 4.3 V-6 and 5-speed. It did a much better job. The 4.3 in the S-10 is very strong and I think it makes an excellent budget tow vehicle. The long bed S-10 has about the same cargo area as my current extended cab, short bed F150.

On diabolical towing combinations, my personal favorite was the time I flat-towed a '67 Austin Healey 3000 from Albuquerque to Atlanta with a '63 Land Rover 88 in 1981. The Land Rover was about 2900 lb with 80 hp and an 88 inch wheelbase. The Healey was about 2500 lbs with a 92 inch wheelbase. The combination had very little power for mountains and very interesting dynamics. It made it, though.

- Frank C

[size="1"][ January 22, 2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Frank C ][/size]

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Hey Paul!
    Renting a good tow vehicle is the way to go. However, you have a great VW that could fetch a good trade-in amount.
    I know CNN and MTV have some beef against SUV's, and, now that whatever is hip is moving toward Mini's and hybrids, but a person can get a helluva deal on a used SUV. Most SUV's are garage queens that mom drove in the suburbs.
    I traded my SHO for an F150, had to, otherwise I'd have to rent, too.

A used SUV is a good deal these days. It could be a daily driver, tow your FF, and, if nothing else, it'll let you know who voted for Nader.

Andy Graff

...If it aint a V8, we mas^#$%bate.

Thread Information