Liked: 444

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

IMHO, the wrecker could have stayed much more to drivers left than he did. I alawys thought that safety vehicles were not supposed to leave the edge of the road until a clear path was assured to where they needed to get.

Thank god that was not a formula car.

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

That's why my rules are:

1) Always slow down for a standing yellow, slow down even more for waving.
    2) Assume tow truck drivers are blind drunk, and give them a really wide berth.

Looks to me like both are at fault. The truck shouldn't have rolled but but either the miata driver was going too fast to course-correct or has really bad peripheral vision and/or situational awareness. If it's the latter said individual must be really fun to race with. :P
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Not the tow truck driver's fault...

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    That's why my rules are:

1) Always slow down for a standing yellow, slow down even more for waving.
    2) Assume tow truck drivers are blind drunk, and give them a really wide berth.

Looks to me like both are at fault. The truck shouldn't have rolled but but either the miata driver was going too fast to course-correct or has really bad peripheral vision and/or situational awareness. If it's the latter said individual must be really fun to race with. :P
    The tow truck rolled on the orders of Race Control after there was a standing yellow at the entry to turn 7. I heard eye witness reports of this from my teammates, the blue car in front of the video car and the car immediately following the video car. The white car either didn't see the yellow or seriously over drove it. I'm guessing it was the latter because the red mist was strong in that race. I got hit 8 times by 4 different driver in the first 2 and 11/12ths laps. The 7th and 8th hits ended my race in turn 11.

FWIW, the pace car was sent out immediately after the tow truck was hit and the race was ended with the pace car leading all running cars to impound. It took the tow crew another 15 minutes to get all of the crashed Miatas off the track.

Steve

Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    The tow truck rolled on the orders of Race Control after there was a standing yellow at the entry to turn 7. I heard eye witness reports of this from my teammates, the blue car in front of the video car and the car immediately following the video car. The white car either didn't see the yellow or seriously over drove it. I'm guessing it was the latter because the red mist was strong in that race. I got hit 8 times by 4 different driver in the first 2 and 11/12ths laps. The 7th and 8th hits ended my race in turn 11.

FWIW, the pace car was sent out immediately after the tow truck was hit and the race was ended with the pace car leading all running cars to impound. It took the tow crew another 15 minutes to get all of the crashed Miatas off the track.

Steve
    Sounds like a Sat night Crashup Derby more than a road race, no thanks. Why would anyone want to race with that group?

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post

Steve
    The wrecker went out after the lead car has passed the flag station that had a standing yellow up. Standing yellow would be the wrong flag to cover the wrecker, a standing yellow tells the driver the racing surface is clear but there is something OFF the circuit. No fault on the part of the Miata driver, he was blind sided by the wrecker.

I do fault the wrecker driver for pulling out into the middle of the track, had he stayed to the left edge of the circuit I believe the Miata would have had enough room to get by.

8. The following 8 users liked this post:

Thread Information