Liked: 25

Default Help out a racing community friend

It is time for a little payback for an ex-racer, a tireless track marshal, that makes all our racing possible. I can not think of a more worthy friend of the racing community that could use a little help maintaining his quality of life. An accident in 2012 left Calvert a quadriplegic — but his enthusiasm for the hobby continues. Dino's home track, my home track, and many others is in Gimli, Manitoba. Attendance is just not accessible for Dino without his wheelchair van. Dino has been at Gimli since the track beginning when Gilles Villeneuve, Bill Brack, Bobby Rahal, and many others raced there. Dino was also there when the Gimli Glider slid into turn 9.

Please have a look at Dino Calvert’s Wheelchair Van Go Fundme page and contribute what you can.
    https://www.gofundme.com/bkf9k-wheelchair-van?

https://www.gofundme.com/bkf9k-wheelchair-van?

This is a small biography of Dino who was inducted into the Manitoba Motorsport Hall of Fame earlier this year;
    Dino is a long-time member of the Winnipeg Sports Car Club and in addition to his decades of competing in rally and road racing he has spent an enormous amount of time volunteering to organize and officiate Manitoba’s motorsports. Dino has also forever been the club’s regional representative of the Western Canada Motorsport Association. One of Calvert’s special accomplishments is his position as regional steward of the Western Canadian Motorsports Association, where his duties include helping write the rules and teaching steward training (which is the judicial side of the motorsport hobby).

Dino’s ability to fairly and consistently apply the rules without making enemies is a gift and is one of the reasons that the club is able to repeatedly attract racers and cars every year from all over Canada and the States due to the quality of the racing.
    Dino has and does everything from chairing drivers’ meetings, inspecting tracks, discussing rule changes, ensuring safety standards, organizing large race weekends and generously sharing his extensive experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 106

Nice write up Mike. I can attest to Dino's great abilities as a steward, and his passion for racing.

One great story I recall - after a particularly close race between Gord and I (many laps of side-by-side racing, very close, but never touching), when we came in, Dino was waiting there for us. Not usually a good sign! He had a call from a corner worker that we were racing too close, and had touched. We both disagreed, saying it was close, but no contact. Dino pointed to the nose of my car, and the large layer of rubber attached... I had to hastily explain, on the haul out, a spare tire had fallen down, and rode all the way sitting against the nose of the car, and that's what the rubber was from, honest!

Not sure if Dino really believes me on that one yet.

He still makes it out to the track for his steward duties, as well as doing sanctioning body write ups. A newer van to let them move about a little easier would be helpful for Dino and Judy.

I've added a small donation, hopefully others who have raced at Gimli over the years will be able to as well.

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 106

A bump to get this back in front of folks.

Thanks,
    Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_T View Post
    A bump to get this back in front of folks.

Thanks,
    Gary
    I'm already in, Gary.

Thread Information