Liked: 1

Default looking to enter FM

Hello all,
    I am looking to enter into open wheel racing via the formula mazda. It appealed to me due to the cost being reasonable, it being a spec series, and though i am not mechanically experienced, i would say i am mechanically inclined and could easy do most work myself. From what I’ve seen the community looks awesome, the racing looks fun,and again the cost looks like something i could afford. Apexspeed seemed to be the best place to find info on the formula mazda and outside experience from other series. I do have track experience but no true race experience. I'm looking for info on race schools first. I live in Jacksonville FL, and I’d like to attend a race school near me (roebling, sebring, PBIR). The best I’ve found is Bertil Roos as far as availability and convenience in the area. I know they run f2000 cars so i was wondering(and hoping) there are similarities in the cars driving style to make this a good choice. After that i am looking for any and all information on formula mazda. Websites, facebook pages, videos, etc. to give me a better idea of what to look for in a car and if i need help in the future. And i would be looking to purchase a car in the next year or so. Ideally i wouldn’t want to drive west of the Mississippi for the car, unless its unbeatable on price and worth it. I am originally from PA and can look in the northeast region for a car as well. I’ve seen good prices for FM cars recently and as much as i would love to commit to buying one ASAP it is just not feasible at this time. I feel like this is the perfect car for me to be in and the community seems better than others I've been around recently. I'm just trying to stick my foot in the door and get to know some people so i can hit the ground running when i do kick this off. Sorry for the long post.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 2

Talke to Moses Smith at Texas Autosports. He's the FM manufacturer and can tell you more about FM than anyone else. Also, check out the classifieds section, as I'm sure you already have, when you're ready to purchase. It would also be a good idea to talk to Moses before pulling the trigger to see what he thinks about any particular car you're interested in. He may actually know the history of it. Other than that, good luck. It's a TON of fun

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

Default racing

Quote Originally Posted by Seibertaj View Post
    Hello all,
    I am looking to enter into open wheel racing via the formula mazda. It appealed to me due to the cost being reasonable, it being a spec series, and though i am not mechanically experienced, i would say i am mechanically inclined and could easy do most work myself. From what I’ve seen the community looks awesome, the racing looks fun,and again the cost looks like something i could afford. Apexspeed seemed to be the best place to find info on the formula mazda and outside experience from other series. I do have track experience but no true race experience. I'm looking for info on race schools first. I live in Jacksonville FL, and I’d like to attend a race school near me (roebling, sebring, PBIR). The best I’ve found is Bertil Roos as far as availability and convenience in the area. I know they run f2000 cars so i was wondering(and hoping) there are similarities in the cars driving style to make this a good choice. After that i am looking for any and all information on formula mazda. Websites, facebook pages, videos, etc. to give me a better idea of what to look for in a car and if i need help in the future. And i would be looking to purchase a car in the next year or so. Ideally i wouldn’t want to drive west of the Mississippi for the car, unless its unbeatable on price and worth it. I am originally from PA and can look in the northeast region for a car as well. I’ve seen good prices for FM cars recently and as much as i would love to commit to buying one ASAP it is just not feasible at this time. I feel like this is the perfect car for me to be in and the community seems better than others I've been around recently. I'm just trying to stick my foot in the door and get to know some people so i can hit the ground running when i do kick this off. Sorry for the long post.
    i went the same route as you. bertil roos was a great school and the cars are very similar to fm with the difference being primarily the frequency of engine rebuild. ive been racing ten years now and im 61. my wife wants me to sell everything. its reasonable like 21k for car,tool,trailer and spares. tranny just rebuilt by taylor and strong sealed motor.contact me when ready.im in montgomery al

Liked: 98

Default Costs

Regarding costs, check out this spreadsheet of costs for many racing classes, including FM.

Thread Information