Liked: 239

Default Dampers for Tow Vehicle

The shocks on my GMC Savana van are definitely past their prime. If a lane change at 70 mph isn't done very smoothly, the van gets into a mild oscillation.

Checking out the internet there are plenty of Gabriels, Monroes, KYB, etc. There are also some Bilsteins for my vehicle. My question is whether there is a significant difference between manufacturers for this application.

The trailer is not a particularly heavy one. The entire trailer load is probably 3500 lbs.

Thanks for any information!
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Contributing Member Andrew Stein's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default Replacement dampers

There are differences between brands in durability and damping, but without putting them on a dyno it is largely anecdotal evidence. Generally, Monroe and Gabriel compete for mass-market major retailer business and are not seen as best quality, though they have many series to suggest they have everything you could ever want, and some may be OK Stock KYB, Bilstein and TRW/Sachs would all be excellent choices. If the ride control was sufficient on your stock shocks you probably don't want to "upgrade" to a heavy-duty shock, as that generally implies a stiffening of the ride - and might be less control in certain bumpy circumstances. KYB "Monomax" is one example of HD shock. Generally, Bilstein are most expensive, KYB in the middle and TRW/Sachs least expensive of the quality shocks. There is also the possibility that the coil springs have had their day, too. Hope that helps.

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 323

Default Bilsteins

My daily driver/tow vehicle is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Bilsteins made a huge difference in handling, stability, and ride. Best $400.00 I've spent on it and really helped when towing a fully loaded 6x10 uhaul box trailer.

If you're going to keep the vehicle, don't cheap out.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 165

Default OEM, but for now real convincing reason

On my Ford van I just went with another set of the Ford original parts.since I had no clear way to judge what might be better, or just marketing hype

Steve

Liked: 3855

If that "oscillation" during a lane change is with the trailer attached I'm betting new shocks won't help as much as installing a friction anti-sway bar on the hitch assembly.

The best towing accessory I've put on my van. Only ~$100.
    Never have needed a load leveling hitch, even with 7500 lb trailer. (I'm careful about tongue weight)
    The friction anti-sway bar on the hitch makes passing semis, cross winds, and lane changes very smooth situations.

My big Ford E350 has had 4 new sets of tires so far. I have noticed that with brand new rear tires (Goodrich Commercial T/As) the van wants to wiggle a little on the tread blocks of the new tires for the first 2,000 to 3,000 miles, then settles down for a few years until the next new set.

Liked: 154

I've just bought a very flash CTW shock dyno, and just trailered my car 1300 km bouncing around here in Oz. The Ranger has done120,000 km so I'll dyno them and see how they go.

Liked: 165

Default Exactly the same experience for me

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    If that "oscillation" during a lane change is with the trailer attached I'm betting new shocks won't help as much as installing a friction anti-sway bar on the hitch assembly.

The best towing accessory I've put on my van. Only ~$100.
    Never have needed a load leveling hitch, even with 7500 lb trailer. (I'm careful about tongue weight)
    The friction anti-sway bar on the hitch makes passing semis, cross winds, and lane changes very smooth situations.

My big Ford E350 has had 4 new sets of tires so far. I have noticed that with brand new rear tires (Goodrich Commercial T/As) the van wants to wiggle a little on the tread blocks of the new tires for the first 2,000 to 3,000 miles, then settles down for a few years until the next new set.
    New rear tires are hell unless you add the friction sway control on my E350 as well. I liked the improvement felt with one damper so much a put on a second one on the other side.

Steve

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information