Thread: Honda spark!

Liked: 23

Default Honda spark!

How often should the plugs be changed?
    How often should coil packs be replaced?

thanks
    greg
    Last edited by GregPeluso; 05.23.18 at 8:27 AM.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

Quote Originally Posted by GregPeluso View Post
    How often shock the plugs be changed?

thanks
    greg
    Plugs. After the engine gets cooked due to an external cooling system failure. Plugs come with new engine.
    Coil packs. When they break, or you put in a new engine.

Both are high mileage units that far exceed any time we will ever see in our application.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by GregPeluso View Post
    How often should the plugs be changed?

thanks
    greg
    In the street cars they're 96,000 "no service" engines. The tune up even then is new plugs and checking the valve clearances. In my street car I had a coil pack go bad after about 150,000 miles.

On the race cars after 3 seasons (approximately 75 hours on the dash, including idling & warm-up time) I decided to change out the spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors and the belts to the oil pump & alternator. But I'm kind of paranoid about that stuff.

About the only thing's I've seen reliability wise on these are-
    • Metal mesh fuel filters like to clog up, probably ethanol-related. I prefer paper element filters. Change the filter every season.
    • I've had fuel pressure regulators and fuel pumps go bad. I prefer the external ones because they're easier to get at, more reliable, and you can tweak them on those occasions when the pumps start going bad. I managed to nurse a dying pump with one through most of a weekend.
    • If you tend to like running the car low on fuel (or you're like me and your car has a relatively tiny fuel cell), don't expect to get more than 2 seasons out of a fuel pump.
    • If you're using the oil pressure senders from the HPD auxiliary harness kit, remote-mount them. They like to break in some applications if they're attached directly to the block.

One other thing, have a drain-hose setup handy and always drain the fuel after the race weekend is over, especially if you're using pump gas. Even some "ethanol free" gasoline actually contains some ethanol, and it's a good idea not to let any fuel linger in the cell between race weekends.

Note that all of these numbers assumes you're running as often as I do, which is the equivalent of about 8-12 club races a year. If you're only getting out to the track a couple times a year things will likely last longer.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thread Information