Liked: 1

Default Speads RM11 Vs Other options

Hi All,

Just after some feedback on how the Speads RM11 compares to the other F1000 options out there?

Have found a very well optioned out Speads RM11 and interested to know would it still be as competitive as a Stohr/Phoenix/RFR and other options or are they no where near as competitive/advanced ?

Appreciate the advice

Thanks
    Last edited by RaceTech; 01.03.18 at 3:44 AM.

Liked: 273

Default My opinion

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTech View Post
    Hi All,

Just after some feedback on how the Speads RM11 compares to the other F1000 options out there?

Have found a very well optioned out Speads RM11 and interested to know would it still be as competitive as a Stohr/Phoenix/RFR and other options or are they no where near as competitive/advanced ?

Appreciate the advice

Thanks
    If you are looking for a car that is going to be at the pointy end of the grid that would not be my choice. The Speads is a dated design that from the outset was dated.

In my opinion none of the cars except for the current Phoenix exploit the aero rules to the fullest.

The Stohr isn't nearly as competitive in the USA now since the Phoenix, RFR, JDR raised the bar.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

What are the advantages... is it purly mechanical grip from chassis design, aero grip or a combo of both ?

The competition here is not as fierce, we simply don’t have the numbers on the east coast of Australia.

I will be running the car against West, Stohr, Juno type DSR and CN type cars.

The Speads RM11 I have found actually is fitted with a 08 Hayabusa package, motec, geartronics and some really nice components.

Liked: 273

Default The sum of the packaging

I would say in the case of the Phoenix is its ability to achieve maximum mechanical grip. Then fine tune that with aero grip to balance the car.

Almost everywhere I take the Phoenix now I'm running less wing than any car in the field. There's a reason why the real magic is what is happening underneath the car. Look under this car and you'll see why.

The Speads is a decent looking car but isn't a front runner by any stretch.

If this Speads has a Busa in it then it wouldn't be legal in FB here in the USA....but it would be one hell of a track day car or FS car.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Pretty keen to buy this Speads RM11.

I am thinking, since its great value, I can always sell off the Hayabusa kit at a later date if I want to make the car F1000 legal.

If I was to do this at some point would there be a simple engine mount kit for a 08 ZX10 or GSXR1000 engine kit for this car ?

The current setup has around 220hp Motec, drysump, Riltek airbox, Geartronics, Quaife diff etc

I was just hoping the Speads RM11 was not a total waste of time as the car looks decent compared to the early days of Speads. Nicer front and rear wing, larger rear diffuser etc

Liked: 555

I'm not an expert, (and anyone feel free to correct me), but if it's making 220 HP then it must have some significant engine work done. If so, I'd want to know all of the details about it. That may make the car more valuable, but it may mean fewer hours between service. It will certainly be fun to drive.

It only has 10hrs total run time on a crate engine.

I would say the larger capacity engine would have a decent increase in engine rebuild intervals as they dont rev as hard, larger components like gearbox gears etc plus this one is running dry sump and a geartronics airshift kit so its more than likely as solid as it gets.

I had my heart set on a RFR 2014+ car but there is none in the country for sale so my choices are certainly limited.

OK. I thought a stock engine made 194 HP, so I assumed it had some internal work done to get 25 more HP.

I have a stock Haybusa in my race car (project - I will race it for the first time this year). A good buddy has raced his Hayabusa formula car for a bunch of years and it has been super reliable and fast. It seems to be a great power plant.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Yeah I agree, they sound good too

Every dyno reads differently but this car made 206hp on a chassis dyno. I would put the power increase up from the factory bike quoted figure of 192hp due to the dry sump, motec tuning, rilltek airbox and long tube header design. Engine is internally standard.

Yeah, those definitely help (except I think a dry sump may actually require more HP than adding any, since there is an extra scavenge pump pushing oil around).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 212

I my opinion.. 70% driver.. 20% chassis.. 10% engine

Unless you are are already at the very pointy end of the grid that car is likely a good option for you

Enjoy the car. Learn to drive it.. when you are loosing races by under a few seconds then worry about getting the best car possible
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 8

Default Australian F1000

Hi RaceTech,

You can contact me direct if you want to talk about chassis, engine combinations in Australia. Go to www.ausf1000.com.au, find my contact details - President: Derek Burns.

Strictly speaking from the description you have given the RM11 is not a genuine AUS F1000. AUS F1000's are currently restricted to Honda, Kawasaki,Yamaha and Suzuki 1000cc engines prior to 2009, ie. up to 2008. Even the RFR's from JAM don't comply with the Australian regs, which can be found on the CAMS website as a sub category of Formula Libre.

Having just attended the 1st race meet at Tailem Bend, SA, I can say that a genuine F1000 loses out to the Stohr, West and for aero and outright speed but catches them in the twisty parts of the track. So dependent on which track you are racing at would dictate the outright performance.

One of the main reasons for limiting which engines are acceptable was that we were reminded by CAMS (during the 2.5 years getting the regs. approved) not to over power the car for the chassis safety. It was CAMS that recommended we limit the engine options to ensure there were no parity arguments. Hence why I say that the car you are describing does not conform for a AUS F1000 log book.

Happy to talk and discuss the category further with you.

Cheer's,

Derek

Thread Information