Liked: 1

Default Cost of running a prototype or f1000

I'm current looking and daydreaming about scca racing. I really want to drive something with downforce and paddles (i'm also a nerd so I would be looking for a car with a mychron) I've always wanted to drive prototype or gt3 cars but obviously i don't have the money . I've been looking at arrive and drive packages, f1000 or prototypes. f1000 seems to very cool as the cars use a motorcycle engine and remind me of radical sports cars (RPE engines) . Unfortunately money is a concern. Most of my time i've been on the websites and came to the conclusion that it's either rich people or people that are trying to climb the motorsport ladder . I would like to know if there are any amateurs racers (people who have a "normal" day job. E.g software engineer making 100) in f1000 or prototypes . What is the costs of running one and can you convert one into a prototype? How much does a prototype cost to run? Do the people i'm looking for race in protos?
    thanks

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Quote Originally Posted by zacchaeus View Post
    I'm current looking and daydreaming about scca racing. I really want to drive something with downforce and paddles (i'm also a nerd so I would be looking for a car with a mychron) I've always wanted to drive prototype or gt3 cars but obviously i don't have the money . I've been looking at arrive and drive packages, f1000 or prototypes. f1000 seems to very cool as the cars use a motorcycle engine and remind me of radical sports cars (RPE engines) . Unfortunately money is a concern. Most of my time i've been on the websites and came to the conclusion that it's either rich people or people that are trying to climb the motorsport ladder . I would like to know if there are any amateurs racers (people who have a "normal" day job. E.g software engineer making 100) in f1000 or prototypes . What is the costs of running one and can you convert one into a prototype? How much does a prototype cost to run? Do the people i'm looking for race in protos?
    thanks
    If you're willing to forgo the paddles, there are plenty of formula classes in which to play for reasonable "mere mortal" money. I would NOT be looking to F1000 or P1 as your 'starter' classes. Consider FE, FC, and FM as possible places to start for open wheels. In those classes, $15000-$25000 can buy you a race ready (or close to it) car. I'm personally biased towards FC, as the prices of cars right now is at an all time low. You can get a project FC for less than 10k, or a solid regional car for $15-18. A lot of the guys in the GLC series have about 5-10k annual budget. Lap times are not too far off of F1000. By the time you do a few seasons and get up to speed in whatever class you choose, you'll know enough to have an idea of where you'd like to go play next.

Shameless plug - Waterford Hills Driver's School is fast approaching, and I have an available seat if you want to get a license. (FC) Cheers!

Cade
    www.wrenchaholics.com

Rental, Coaching, and Data Analysis for Great Lakes Region

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
    If you're willing to forgo the paddles, there are plenty of formula classes in which to play for reasonable "mere mortal" money. I would NOT be looking to F1000 or P1 as your 'starter' classes. Consider FE, FC, and FM as possible places to start for open wheels. In those classes, $15000-$25000 can buy you a race ready (or close to it) car. I'm personally biased towards FC, as the prices of cars right now is at an all time low. You can get a project FC for less than 10k, or a solid regional car for $15-18. A lot of the guys in the GLC series have about 5-10k annual budget. Lap times are not too far off of F1000. By the time you do a few seasons and get up to speed in whatever class you choose, you'll know enough to have an idea of where you'd like to go play next.

Shameless plug - Waterford Hills Driver's School is fast approaching, and I have an available seat if you want to get a license. (FC) Cheers!

Cade
    I know, but that's that goal for me I just want to know do mere mortals race in prototypes. I would love to own a wf1

Liked: 33

First most of us have normal jobs currently I’m a manager of devops teams but my background is precision CNC machine tools with over 20 years in aerospace. That being said you haven’t provided us with enough insight about your electro - mechanical proficientcy. Cost of running any of the cars you’re describing goes up drastically depending on how much of the work you are skilled at performing yourself. Next have you raced anything before climbing into a wings and minimal downforce car is quite a step from racing nothing, not insurmountable but nevertheless a large step. This the correct forum so you’re searching in the correct area. My suggestion if you already haven’t, consume the Carrol Smith books start with prep to win to get an understanding of what this entails. I perform 90% of the cars work and farm out engine work as far as rebuilds, gearbox prep. Good luck but if you haven’t raced anything before then take a step back and do some diligence first.
    Last edited by Rick Brannon; 03.19.18 at 3:39 PM. Reason: Fat fingered on iOS device

Liked: 555

I agree with the comments above. Racing pretty much is for "rich people" (depending on your POV), but there are many of us doing it with small budgets and having fun.

Best advice is to start with a basic, reliable car, then move up later. Everyone wants to start with their dream car, but that might get you off on the wrong foot.

Since you asked about formula car/prototype, here is something you might enjoy reading about. David O'Leary started with a nice FC and added a body to it:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/dsrf...08.html#p75725
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 531

Recommend sticking with a flat bottom car. Diffuser ok. Tunnels can be big trouble on the edge for even the most experienced drivers. All it takes is a sideways gust of wind...

100K salary could afford this hobby 6-8 weekends per year if you don’t spend much money anywhere else in life. I.e. house, kids, eating out.. and as someone else noted, you’ll need to do your own wrenching.

as a point of reference, for PFM, i’m at about $15/mile, but that is all inclusive of towing, hotels, gas, and everything the race car needs including parts that wear out. No crash damage. I maintain my own car, except for the hard stuff, then I have an engineer/mechanic who used to work the pro series help me out.

YMMV

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

Lots of "sports racing" cars being raced (and track days) in the Ottawa-Calabogie area by regular folks. Have you reached out to your local enthusiasts, car clubs, etc. Lots of Radicals up there.

If you are not going to go the tin-top route, the three relevant classes in Ontario are F1200, F1600, and Formula Libre/Sports Racing. F1600 has the best fields but all have enthusiastic communities, and you won't go wrong with any. For used cars, F1200s are probably $5-15K, F1600 is $10-30K, and FL/SR $5-100K. For DIY, uou will spend a grand a weekend for the most basic racing effort, but several per weekend will give you relatively competitive efforts in most of those classes.

If you email me with more specific objectives, I will try and steer you toward local people that can help you.
    greg13rice-at- hotmail.com
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 138

Oh geez you are in Ottawa? Yeah let's talk. We have a small group of friendly people willing to help. You said scca so assumed you were in the U.S.

In Canada we mostly race for fun low budget very few are gong all put. I'm a software tester with a regular job and I've had a radical a stohr and now an F2000.

You must come out and chat, help out etc. 2 guys locally run wf1s. Was 3 but one moved on to other cars

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

Glad That Greg reached out to you/.
    That is who I would recommend to help find your way
    He is too modest to say but he has the best base of
    knowledge on all types of racing in your area.
    If you haven't visited a track yet the May Race at
    Mosport would be a good start.
    Lots of mere mortals running F1200 in
    Challenge Cup
    BTW I have race most the classes your interested in
    and always find my back to F1200 for the best racing
    Good Luck
    Sherman

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 138

April 28th calabogie test day.

Liked: 804

Nothing wrong with a WF1 as an 'ultimate goal' car, but many of us on this site would call that a bad choice as a newbie car.

Call Brian Graham or David Clubine (both down the 401 from you), they will set you up properly and do you right :-)

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 65

Default low cost f1000/ prototype

Yes there are a lot of day job people racing F1000 and prototypes.

In Fact, every driver in the North American Formula 1000 Championship, has a "day job"

Corporate America, Attorneys, Day Traders, Software Engineers, etc.

You can get a VERY Competitive used F1000 for 30K. - see Jeremy Hill or Mike Crowe for two cars available which are race winning capable cars.

Motors in a F1000 are EXTREMELY less expensive to purchase and maintain than any other formula car - 3K for race winning engines is pretty cheap way to go 175mph. Many drivers run motors for a few seasons before any type of work to be done.

Similar to any motor, if you keep oil and water in it, and don't over rev it will live a long time. Some people gave the class a bad name by ignoring engines builders and logic and running them to 15,000 - those things would kill an engine in any class.

Just like any other class, you can spend 50,60 or more on a new car - or you can find a good used one for 25-35

However, with no rebuilds, and no gearbox (NO expensive gears or rebuilds) the cost of operation is much less over a season compared to a traditional engine/transmission. Especially when you figure in the Free oil, random tires, prize money, random products, and more available if you enter the NorthAmF1000 Championship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

As you are seeing, everyone you meet will try and recruit you to their class. Its like buying a house or a car or anything else. Don't buy the first car you look at. Go to the track and talk to different people in different classes. They will mostly be great people but you will click with some more than others.

One of the things you will need to determine is whether driving fast cars is your biggest attraction, or racing very competitively with close racing in evenly matched cars, is what will get you hooked. Racing at the club level seems to get very segregated in that regard, so the class that you choose depends on your outlook.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

16. The following 5 users liked this post:

Junior Member breakfast_burrito's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post

Cade
    Could you PM me if this offer is still available!

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by breakfast_burrito View Post
    Could you PM me if this offer is still available!
    I suspect the event is passed but give Cade a call:
    https://www.wrenchaholics.com/contact-us/

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 7

[QUOTE=Lotus7;557576]Nothing wrong with a WF1 as an 'ultimate goal' car, but many of us on this site would call that a bad choice as a newbie car.

This isn't a 100% rule. While the WF1 is a VERY fast option for a first car I've known a couple of guys who went in this direction as a first race car and did just fine. Contrary to popular opinion the car is very easy to drive and somewhat forgiving. The downforce can take some getting used to but if you drive within your abilities you can learn the limits safely. As for operational costs it varies based on where you want to race and the spec of car you want to drive. If you stay in the CASC and race locally (Calabogie, Mosport and Tremblant) you can do it for reasonable money. The SCCA ads some costs related to travel, higher entry fees and exchange. Racing a P2 version of a WF1 takes a bit of the cost away as well.

I'm in Ottawa and I own a WF1 so if you ever want to reach out I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Thread Information