Liked: 24

Default Honda won’t pull under load

Today at summit after 15 laps my car quit pulling... it go so bad I could not get into 4th on the front straight when I normally would shift at pit out.... temps were fine. After I putted around to finish we went back to the paddock and started it up... rev’d fine and did not sound as if it was done a cylinder or anything..... oh... no Ecu light flashing(if it works). I don’t know where to start.. any suggestions?

thanks
    greg

Liked: 77

Full throttle working as planned? Throttle cable 10-32 backing off can cause issues
    simple and stupid I know, but check it.
    everything tight around the intake?
    fuel filter..?
    check your data and see what fuel pressure is doing..
    usually the basics..!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 212

Default Fuel Pump or Coil/Spark Plug

When my Honda (factory) fuel pump failed, it would initially hold steady pressure (with good power) for the first 10-15 minutes of the session, then the pressure would start intermittently dropping out until the point I couldn't pull 4th gear. By the time I got the bodywork off and start diagnosing the issue, the pump would cool down and run fine. This did not trigger an ECU flashing light code.

Check your data and look for fuel pressure dropouts. If none seen, check your spark plugs to see if one has noticeably different coloration, and if so replace that coil and spark plug. Sometimes a failing coil will start to misfire at high revs when it gets hot, but then run fine at lower rpm.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4368

We have had this exact problem when the fuel cell baffle is inadequate. I have had several cars with external fuel pumps that would only run for a few laps. Now I use the internal pump with pickup baffled or I use two pumps with a swirlpot in between.

Compounding the issue is that the pumps are self-cooling ..... so once you are sucking air, the pump gets hotter and functions even more poorly.

Fuel delivery systems that are more than adequate on a carbureted application fall far short for a system requiring continual 40 psi. Just putting in a higher pressure pump does not do the job. I have learned this the hard way.
    Last edited by problemchild; 04.30.18 at 3:23 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    Retirement Sale NOW, Everything must go!

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 224

If you're using the XRP mesh fuel filter that comes with the kit they can clog up. Depending on where your fuel pressure is reading from you might not see a pressure drop but the flow to the injectors will be significantly lower than it needs.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Liked: 3455

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    If you're using the XRP mesh fuel filter that comes with the kit they can clog up. Depending on where your fuel pressure is reading from you might not see a pressure drop but the flow to the injectors will be significantly lower than it needs.
    That filter has been known to strangle flow when it gets hot. The SS wires are much bigger than the openings between them, and when the wires expand with heat, they can block flow even w/o getting "clogged."
    Dave Weitzenhof

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 18

Quote Originally Posted by GregPeluso View Post
    Today at summit after 15 laps my car quit pulling... it go so bad I could not get into 4th on the front straight when I normally would shift at pit out.... temps were fine. After I putted around to finish we went back to the paddock and started it up... rev’d fine and did not sound as if it was done a cylinder or anything..... oh... no Ecu light flashing(if it works). I don’t know where to start.. any suggestions?

thanks
    greg
    I had a miss on my car that sounds similar. It was an intermittent connection at one of the ignition coils. Mine occasionally lugged at idle which helped me trace it down but when it happened on track (twice in total), third gear was a chore to accelerate and I didn’t bother with 4th. I just went to the pits. I fixed it by tie strapping the connector down on the coil housing but replacing the connector on the wire harness will be coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information