Liked: 18

Default Engine sensor info

I’m busy guys. I don’t want to search forever for info. I’m not to proud to ask.

Doing the DB1/ Honda conversion for anyone that doesn’t know.

I’m wondering if you have a special spot for the oil temp sensor? As far as the oil pressure goes, when you install the optional harness, do you disconnect the original HPD oil pressure switch/ harness and hook up the new one? Or, are you adding another one? I found a nice spot for the fuel pressure sensor. Right where check valve goes. I was wondering what you guys came up with in regards to this?

Also, just wondering what you did with the knock sensor location?

As always, I appreciate any and all input

Tim
    Last edited by tim voth; 03.31.18 at 9:34 AM.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by tim voth View Post
    I’m busy guys. I don’t want to search forever for info. I’m not too proud to ask.

I’m wondering if you have a special spot for the oil temp sensor? As far as the oil pressure goes, when you install the optional harness, do you disconnect the original HPD oil pressure switch/ harness and hook up the new one? Or, are you adding another one? I found a nice spot for the fuel pressure sensor. Right where check valve goes. I was wondering what you guys came up with in regards to this?

Tim

Per the GCR (I've been reading it a ton because I debated the swap myself), You have to utilize the the HPD sensors, and if you'd like to register these sensors for something else, you can, but again they cannot interfere with the HPD parts.

Quick question though: Are you, or can you, use an Aim datalogging setup? This way you can get their setup, get Aim's ECU harness, and everything you're talking about will already be logged and displayed on any dash you choose.

My Aim setup, but with individual & progressive based gauges

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

I’m busy guys. I don’t want to search forever for info. I’m not to proud to ask.

Tim
    The oil pressure switch isn't used with the auxiliary harness. I placed an adapter there, ran a short -3 line & zip-tie mounted the oil pressure sender to the frame with some padding in between. The Pressure senders die a lot less often that way.

I just pulled the knock sensor off, it isn't used. You can't use that location for a sender unless you want to drill a hole in the block anyway.

There's a port just under the oil inlet on the right side of the oil pan that I used for the factory oil temperature sender.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by S. Frebert View Post
    Per the GCR (I've been reading it a ton because I debated the swap myself), You have to utilize the the HPD sensors, and if you'd like to register these sensors for something else, you can, but again they cannot interfere with the HPD parts.

Quick question though: Are you, or can you, use an Aim datalogging setup? This way you can get their setup, get Aim's ECU harness, and everything you're talking about will already be logged and displayed on any dash you choose.

My Aim setup, but with individual & progressive based gauges
    Hey Shane, thanks for the info. Did you ever sell your VD? If so, what are you driving this year?

By the way, I am using an aim logger. Just trying to decipher which sensor setup to use. There is a little bit of doubling up with this system. I’m going to try and use all the HPD sensors utilizing the optional pin out on HPD harness. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Between you and Sam, I at least feel more confident going into it??????
    Last edited by tim voth; 04.04.18 at 5:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    The oil pressure switch isn't used with the auxiliary harness. I placed an adapter there, ran a short -3 line & zip-tie mounted the oil pressure sender to the frame with some padding in between. The Pressure senders die a lot less often that way.

I just pulled the knock sensor off, it isn't used. You can't use that location for a sender unless you want to drill a hole in the block anyway.

There's a port just under the oil inlet on the right side of the oil pan that I used for the factory oil temperature sender.
    Hey Sam, thanks for the info. I like your idea’s and wisdom. I wanted to make sure I was understanding you.

You’re not using the auxilliary harness for the oil pressure at all? You are in fact using the original HPD oil pressure set up?

Hey Shane, thanks for the info. Did you ever sell your VD? If so, what are you driving this year?

By the way, I am using an aim logger. Just trying to decipher which sensor setup to use. There is a little bit of doubling up with this system. I’m going to try and use all the HPD sensors utilizing the optional pin out on HPD harness. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Between you and Sam, I at least feel more confident going into it??????

I knew your Picture looked familiar man! I pulled it off the market. I love the Aim setup though. Looking at some of the data from Road Atlanta, I think the VD is really capable. For instance, I was steadily reaching 1.95-2.1 G's in turn 1 ( that wasn't even my fastest entry speeds!)

So I'll keep the car develop it more and my driving. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Late Model Van Diemen Honda though haha

It did seem lame that you have to absolutely use their stuff when it comes to sensors.

I don't think you should have too much trouble. Sam will know more specifically about the Honda parts, I just wanted to make sure you knew for some reason the GCR/HPD wants all of their sensors used.

Hope to see you at the track this year! I have a lot of work to do!

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 159

Default CAN bus

Did you guys get the CAN extension? You get a bunch of good stuff into the AIM, Then hook up an external pressure sensor like Sam did and run it straight (not in the HPD harness) to the AIM. Also do the same with the Oil Temp.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Sensors

Ok, i’m a little bit confused.

The original HPD that is sent with the kit— don’t use that oil pressure wire/ sensor?

The optional HPD harness comes with another oil pressure wire/ sensor—don’t use that one?

Instead, hook an AIM sensor direct into the system?

When I started it yesterday, it didn’t show oil pressure—I presently have it hooked into the original HPD harness.

I do have the CAN gizmo, which i’ve hooked up. John at Pegasus told me I didn’t need the power wire at the CAN extension hook up, due to my EVO 4 having power already—whatcha think about that.

Heading down the home stretch

Default The Van Diemen.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Frebert View Post
    I knew your Picture looked familiar man! I pulled it off the market. I love the Aim setup though. Looking at some of the data from Road Atlanta, I think the VD is really capable. For instance, I was steadily reaching 1.95-2.1 G's in turn 1 ( that wasn't even my fastest entry speeds!)

So I'll keep the car develop it more and my driving. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Late Model Van Diemen Honda though haha

It did seem lame that you have to absolutely use their stuff when it comes to sensors.

I don't think you should have too much trouble. Sam will know more specifically about the Honda parts, I just wanted to make sure you knew for some reason the GCR/HPD wants all of their sensors used.

Hope to see you at the track this year! I have a lot of work to do!
    Yep, they are hard to get rid of sometimes. What you have do is go out and win a few, then i’m sure it will sell like hot cake.

Where do you typically race? I’m plannng on mostly VIR and Atlanta. They are the closest to me.
    I look forward to seeing you out there!

Yep, they are hard to get rid of sometimes. What you have do is go out and win a few, then i’m sure it will sell like hot cake.

Where do you typically race? I’m plannng on mostly VIR and Atlanta. They are the closest to me.
    I look forward to seeing you out there!

Wouldn't mind doing that ! haha

Mainly Summit point, and I will be doing as much VIR as I can afford. Got a solid new job so concentrating on that.

Atlanta is a must at the end of this year also! That was so awesome. .

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Ok, i’m a little bit confused.

The original HPD that is sent with the kit— don’t use that oil pressure wire/ sensor?

The optional HPD harness comes with another oil pressure wire/ sensor—don’t use that one?

Instead, hook an AIM sensor direct into the system?

When I started it yesterday, it didn’t show oil pressure—I presently have it hooked into the original HPD harness.

I do have the CAN gizmo, which i’ve hooked up. John at Pegasus told me I didn’t need the power wire at the CAN extension hook up, due to my EVO 4 having power already—whatcha think about that.

Heading down the home stretch
    The oil pressure connector on the main harness is just an idiot light, it' won't give you a pressure reading.

Your auxiliary harness kit should have come with two pressure senders and a temperature sender.

So, to illustrate what I've been talking about:

Right side of the oil pan, showing the where the temp sender is just below the oil inlet from the dry sump tank.

Left side of the block, showing the oil temperature sender from the auxiliary kit & the vibration isolation I did for it.

Left side, higher up. This is where I put the fuel pressure sender with vibration dampening as well.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Hey Sam, thanks for the insight. You know my biggest problem was I didn’t have the little pins pushed in to the make up connector enough, so they were not reading. Which in turn had me wondering wtf?
    I finally figured it out, and all is well.

My biggest issue now is, the wideband sensor is reading a fault? I even bought a new one and plugged it up,Same deal?

You wouldn’t happen to have any insight to this issue, would you?

Hey Sam, thanks for the insight. You know my biggest problem was I didn’t have the little pins pushed in to the make up connector enough, so they were not reading. Which in turn had me wondering wtf?
    I finally figured it out, and all is well.

My biggest issue now is, the wideband sensor is reading a fault? I even bought a new one and plugged it up,Same deal?

You wouldn’t happen to have any insight to this issue, would you?
    I've never even had one go bad. The most common code I get is "low voltage" (which is, IIRC, 5 flashes) if I crank the motor a lot.

Double check the connection if changing the sensor doesn't help. Either blow them out with air or better yet hit it with some contact cleaner. Maybe something got in there.

I tend to use dielectric grease on the connectors as extra insurance against corrosion & water intrusion.

It's rare but if nothing else works maybe check to see if they wired it wrong. Do a continuity test & see which pins the O2 sensor wires go to (the milspec connectors have #'s), & talk to someone at HPD about it. I had a new car that wouldn't start in 2014 and that ended up being the problem. As long as you haven't done anything screwy with the harness or ECU they're usually pretty helpful.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Ok Sam, I’ll give those suggestions a go. It’s strange the first dozen starts, and then comes the code.
    It actually threw the code as soon as I plugged up the new oil sensor....weird. I’ll get to the bottom of it.
    Thanks for the help, i’ll post the results

Thread Information