Liked: 3

Default VD RF82 Rear Wheel Bearing - DIY

Has anyone performed a rear wheel bearing replacement on a RF82? Are there special tools required to remove and replace and a general procedure? Looking for some help on doing this myself or having a shop do the repairs. Thanks - Jim

Contributing Member
    Liked: 902

Quote Originally Posted by JWidrig View Post
    Has anyone performed a rear wheel bearing replacement on a RF82? Are there special tools required to remove and replace and a general procedure? Looking for some help on doing this myself or having a shop do the repairs. Thanks - Jim
    Nope, you should be fine. Try to use a press, not a BFH! You will need a circular plate slightly smaller than the bore of tto safely push the bearing out - any machinist could whittle one up in about 10 minutes.

Be warned - replacement bearings are very hard to find. Originally this bearing was specced for use in an elevator system (so I am told). But they are out there (can help with a source if needed)

bt

Liked: 225

Default Bearing

Primus may have the bearings. Try Universal Racing Services in the UK if not. The bearings are spendy.

It’s been a few years but as I recall, I heated the uprights in an oven to maybe 300 deg F for about a half hour. I recommend doing it when your significant other will be out of the house for several hours in case of smell.

Then press out. Residual heat should be sufficient to press the new one in easily

John
    Last edited by JHerscher; 04.10.18 at 11:49 AM. Reason: corrected bearing source

Thread Information