Contributing Member
    Liked: 31

Default Lilly Vintage Vee Slider or Semi Roller

Had this for 20 years and never got to it , now I have a lynx b to do so this has to go. It's a copy of the famous Lilly with a more conventional frame. Needs aluminum sides and floor. Can sell as a slider ( less z bar and rear springs) or a semi roller. No log book. Comes with a nice wooden cart to move it around.

Slider less front end and trans $250 SOLD

Vee prepped beam with partial build spindles and drums. $200

Vee trans drum to drum unknown builder or condition, turns ok $300

Set of wheels and old tires $100

Car is located between Detroit & Ann Arbor.

734-697-3874

easiest to contact me by e-mail dsatterley at Hotmail dot com
    Last edited by veeracer98; 04.09.18 at 5:04 PM.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1403

Do you have the front sway bar setup that was on this car when it was first raced? I do not see any sign of it in the pictures. It was an original and something that I copied many decades later.

Contributing Member

Steve, no I didn't get it with the car. Do you have history on this peticular car?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by veeracer98 View Post
    Steve, no I didn't get it with the car. Do you have history on this peticular car?

Dave
    I only remember that Ted Schroeder ( I think) drover the car when I was racing FV, 1969 or 1970. I remember the front sway bar setup.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

What is the thought behind the sway bar? An external bar that was additive to the normal internal bar? Something that was easily changed or adjustable?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    What is the thought behind the sway bar? An external bar that was additive to the normal internal bar? Something that was easily changed or adjustable?

Brian
    The trick was how the sway bar attached to the suspension. The bar operated on the link pin carrier through links attached to the top and bottom of the link pin carrier.

I guessed that there was no internal sway bar.

Liked: 1

Pricing on the whole package?

Contributing Member

How about $750 for everything?

Contributing Member

Someone buy this I need to room for a new project.

Contributing Member

Roll bar is stamped 10-518

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default Lilly

Car was designed and built by Ted Schroeder, a GM engineer.who previously was Mazuro's tram driver in a Lynx B. Ted was a tall guy so there should be plenty of room. There was an article printed in a magazine about the car.(hot VCW;s?) The car was owned by Bruce Watson at one point, Bruce was a fabricator at the Lynx factory in Detroit.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    Car was designed and built by Ted Schroeder, a GM engineer.who previously was Mazuro's tram driver in a Lynx B. Ted was a tall guy so there should be plenty of room. There was an article printed in a magazine about the car.(hot VCW;s?) The car was owned by Bruce Watson at one point, Bruce was a fabricator at the Lynx factory in Detroit.
    Frank,
    Do you have any old entry forms with this car. Tying to date when it was built.

Contributing Member

Best bet would be to get a hold of Garret van Camp. He was one of a group of guys that ran Nationals back then with Underwood, Ira, Purcell, MacDonald all from Detroit. He could probably pin point when Schroeder debuted the Lily. I'm going to guess around 77-78.

Frank

Liked: 20

If I had the space for this, I'd be all over it. Would love to start building my first vee. Might have to check out pricing on storage/garage space for it.

Quote Originally Posted by fvracerone1 View Post
    Best bet would be to get a hold of Garret van Camp. He was one of a group of guys that ran Nationals back then with Underwood, Ira, Purcell, MacDonald all from Detroit. He could probably pin point when Schroeder debuted the Lily. I'm going to guess around 77-78.

Frank
    Try late 69 to 71. I remember the car when I was driving a C4 Zink FV.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Try late 69 to 71. I remember the car when I was driving a C4 Zink FV.
    Get in touch with Bob Detrick (helipilot) on here. I think his dad built the Lily
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 58

Default Lily

The Hot VW mag article was from May/June 1974.
    Names mentioned were:
    Dale Detrick ,Ted Schroeder , Fred Klingener.
    Two Lilies were built according to the article and first made the track in LATE 1973.

Will make copies for the person who buys the car!

Dietmar
    www.quixoteracing.com

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Any idea where any of the origional Lily cars are?

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    Get in touch with Bob Detrick (helipilot) on here. I think his dad built the Lily
    The Lily (one “l”) formula vee was built at dm Engineering in Brookfield, CT in 1973 by Dale Detrick (the “d” in dm), Carl Miller (the “m” in dm and the best fabricator that ever lived - imagine full-penetration TIG welding a roll bar joint up under the dash of a TR4, propped excruciatingly on his back, watching weld bead in a mirror, giving verbal instructions to the guy running the foot pedal) and the author. The fiberglass shell was designed and fabricated by Ted Schroeder in the Detroit area.

There were two cars built - one in time for the tail end of the ‘73 season for Dale, the other later that year for Ted. The cars were identical except for some modifications to match Ted’s larger frame. The second brake pedal was left off Ted’s car too.

To clean up the clutter behind the front axle assembly, the steering box was flipped 180 degrees twice and mounted onto the knee bulkhead. Pittman and steering arms were fabricated to restore neutral front roll steer.

Clutter was then added back on Dale’s car with four pedals, the left-most one to activate only the rear brake. It was designed specifically for trail braking into Turn 1 at Lime Rock. Evaluation of this feature took more time and bravery than we could put together at the same time.

The key to getting a vee to handle, then as now, is to tame the evils of the swing axles. Start by minimizing jacking by minimizing the rear roll stiffness. Second, you should minimize roll toe-in. The Lily had Scott Russell straight-line swing arms for the purpose. I think no one ever noticed them or figured out how they were supposed to work. In any case, no one ever protested them.

The biggest problem with the Lily was aero - draggy and draftable, but it wasn’t Ted’s fault. The car was wide. I had been on my head in the deep sand of Bridgehampton a few years earlier, so I wanted a roll bar and made it wide enough to pick up straight tubes to the rear spring pickups. (We had to clear the stock fan housing then.) But the body aft of the was the killer. Just leaving it off was worth seconds a lap at Lime Rock.

Fred Klingener

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flatspot; 04.11.18 at 9:17 AM. Reason: Attach images

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 111

Default Thanks

Fred, Thanks for setting the history straight on the car. I would have put my 2cents in, but this car was just before my time, and everything I know about it came from you or Dad. Hope someone buys it to restore it.

On another note, If anyone knows where the Lily 001 chassis is, I would love to know.

Cheers,
    Bob Detrick

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by helipilot04 View Post
    Fred, Thanks for setting the history straight on the car. I would have put my 2cents in, but this car was just before my time, and everything I know about it came from you or Dad. Hope someone buys it to restore it.

On another note, If anyone knows where the Lily 001 chassis is, I would love to know.

Cheers,
    Bob Detrick
    If there was anybody that should own and drive that car, it would be you and your Dad.

Contributing Member

Frame has been sold locally. Buyer wants to use it for a belly tank racer. Have a front end and transmission available.

Contributing Member

Default Mazuro Schroeder in 1971

Schroeder was driving for Mazuro in 1971. I recall Underwood cut the toilet seat in the porta jon before Schroeder went in . This was my first National at MIS. I think Mazuro picked up Harry MacDonald and Ted went on to build the Lily..... I think! What year did Harry win?

Thread Information