Thread: 1989 Swift DB-1

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 56

For Sale 1989 Swift DB-1

• 1989 Swift DB-1 - This car was one of the last DB-1s built, and may have been the last one made.
    • It's one of the last three which were made with a chrome moly steel frame instead of the mild steel used for all others produced. You can distinguish the chrome moly cars by the round downtubes from the instrument hoop leading to down the toe box. (pic attached)
    • The engine in the car was built by Steve Knapp at Elite Engines.
      • It has an aluminum head and Hi-Tech Stainless header and Exhaust system. The cost of the head and exhaust is over $5,000, alone.
      • The engine has 8 event weekends on it and is still highly competitive, winning the 2016 SVRA Vintage National Championship in Post Club Ford, and placing 4th in in the 2017 SVRA Nationals, finishing behind a 1996 Van Dieman and two 1992 Swift DB-6s.
      • Pertronix Distributor
      • Electric Fuel pump

• The car has all of the available updates to lighten the rotating mass by TDI and Fast Forward racing. These include:
      • Gun-drilled axles with flanged driveshafts
      • Lightened TDI Differential Carrier
      • Lightened and polished Ring and Pinion
      • Lightened and grooved brake rotors with lightened floating rotor hats

• Chassis updates inlcude:
      • Lightened LD-19 Brake Calipers
      • Fast Forward Piper Shifter for the Hewland MK 9 (This is a must have! Massive improvement over the stock version)
      • Fast Forward Cockpit-Adjustable Rear sway bar
      • Updated Prince Engineering A-Arms (from Pat Prince - Swift suspension guru)
      • Rebuilt and dynoed Fox canister shocks by Ange Suspension Works (Fox suspension guru)
      • All new Stack gauges and with memory tach and shift light
      • New LIfeLine Fire System
      • TRS Harnesses good through 2020

• I will be including an extensive list of spares inlcuding a second fresh engine:
      • Complete Loyning engine, aluminum head, with clutch and both Van Dieman and ARE Swift Oil pans (ARE Swift Pans are $3,500.00). DYNO TIME ONLY.
      • 4 Front Lower A arms
      • 4 Rear Lower A arms
      • 1 Rear Rocker
      • 2 Swift/Hewland MK 9 Transmission Input Shafts
      • 2 Front Engine mounts
      • 1 usable Quartermaster Clutch
      • 1 OEM Swift Header and Exhaust System
      • 1 Aluminum Radiator
      • 2 Lightened brake rotors and floating hats
      • 4 used Non-Floating rotors and hats, 1 new
      • 1 non-adjustable rear sway bar assembly
      • 2 new nose boxes
      • 2 OEM Swift Axles
      • 2 OEM Swift CV joints
      • 1 OEM Swift front upright
      • 1 OEM Swift rear upright
      • Assorted Suspension parts (Rod ends, Bearings, Bushings)
      • 1 Starter with Swift DB-1 custom starter output shaft (very hard to find part)
      • 2 OE Shifters
      • 4 New stainless LD-19 Brake caliper pistons
      • 4 Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders

• Wheels and Tires
      • 2 full sets (8 tires) of Hoosier treaded Vintage Formula Ford tires mounted (only run at the 2017 SVRA Nationals. These tires are mandated by SVRA. 1 set used for practice and qualifying sessions (3 heat cycles). 1 set used for Feature and Championship race (2 heat cycles)
      • 3 full sets (12 tires) of Hoosier FF1600 Bias Ply Slicks - new and unmounted. Bagged and in climate contolled interior storage.
      • 1 set Hoosier Bias Ply full rains (4 tires) new.
      • 1 set of Hoosier R60 Bias Ply Slicks (4 tires) - multiple heat cycles...still good for track day tires.
      • 1 set of Tall trailering tires (4) mounted on Jongbloed cast wheels...makes for easy loading!
      • Wheels - 24 total inlcuding those on the trailering tires
        • 8 Jongbloed Forged/Polished 3 piece wheels
        • 4 Jongbloed Forged rim/Painted center 3 piece wheels
        • 4 Jongbloed one piece forged wheels - dark grey anodized (very light!)
        • 4 Panasport one piece forged wheels - polished rims dark grey painted centers.

• Other assorted parts
      • spark plugs
      • spare Pertronix Distibutor
      • belts
      • hoses
      • replacement body work pieces (will require painting)

This car was maintained by Steve Henry of Eagle Racing, who is a noted Porsche and British restorer, who both raced Formula Ford and developed and supported an SCCA FF National Championship car, along with my SVRA championhsip cars in Formula Ford and Formula Atlantic. Steve was also selected as the SVRA 2017 Mechanic of the Year for the quality of his work and support of my cars. The car is stored at Steve's private shop in Dripping Springs, TX, near Austin. Asking $25,000 for everything. I won't sell parts separately yet, unless buyers fail to surface for the entire package.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gbilawsky; 03.06.18 at 2:30 AM.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Car and all spares are sold!

My Car and all spares are sold!!!

Thanks APEX SPEED!

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 72

Whew!
    Which is what I said when you purchased it.....I was getting weak!
    great car!

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 996

As I was told there were three car built by Swift in 1989. One of them I believe was sold to Mike Berg, one to Larry Smith and I don't recall where the third one went. The cars were supposedly the only ones built out of chromoly and had the unique twin tube that drops down between the front dampers vs. the rectangular tube on the previous cars. I would be curious as to which of these cars this one was. Larry's car had the nickel plated rockers and a bunch of other nice upgrades. I purchased the car from Larry in 1995 and ran it until I got the ride in the Citation in 97 when I re-sold it to Larry. He ran it for awhile and then the car went north. I believe it was sold, but haven't seen it since. One of these cars ended up in the hands of a neuro surgeon in Cen Div in the mid 90's. He quit racing years ago - no idea what happened to that one.

This is an excellent preservation - congrats.

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    As I was told there were three car built by Swift in 1989. One of them I believe was sold to Mike Berg, one to Larry Smith and I don't recall where the third one went. The cars were supposedly the only ones built out of chromoly and had the unique twin tube that drops down between the front dampers vs. the rectangular tube on the previous cars. I would be curious as to which of these cars this one was. Larry's car had the nickel plated rockers and a bunch of other nice upgrades. I purchased the car from Larry in 1995 and ran it until I got the ride in the Citation in 97 when I re-sold it to Larry. He ran it for awhile and then the car went north. I believe it was sold, but haven't seen it since. One of these cars ended up in the hands of a neuro surgeon in Cen Div in the mid 90's. He quit racing years ago - no idea what happened to that one.

This is an excellent preservation - congrats.
    The Cen Div surgeon was Tom Stillwell and he sold the car to Alan Murray in Monticello, MN when he retired from racing. Alan is still racing the car and it does have the round chromoly drop tubing.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 2

Default 1989 db1

As per the logbooks, 1989 DB1, chassis number 010-89, with dual round tubes as mentioned above, is parked in a showroom Portland, OR.
    It showed up last year, from New York, as part of a package deal consisting of a 1985 DB1 and the 1989 DB1.
    I only mention it so all the '89 cars might be located / accounted for.
    Rick

Liked: 996

I am curious which one of these was the one I had for a few years. Based on the photos and the custom over flow tank I believe it was the one that was for sale in this thread. They were all good cars.

John,

This was your car. From prior posts I determined that the owners were:

Larry Smith
    John LaRue
    John Grooms
    Glenn Bilawsky
    and now,
    Duke Waldrip.

It's a great car...I just owned too many Swifts (still have a1989 DB-3 FC and 1998 008.a FA) and enjoy driving the downforce cars a lot more.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information