Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 Runoffs

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I heard Mosport.

SCCA to assist in securing Passports?

Liked: 13

Well people make valid points about east coast v. west coast v. runoffs in the middle. Another thing to think about is how stale the Runoffs would be if every year Runoffs were in the middle few tracks. If some East coaster feel strong about how lame it is to tow to the Westcoast then sit 2018 out and stock your war chest for 2019 or spend that extra money saved by not going west on rebuilding your shocks.

Also consider there can be more to a Runoffs week than sitting around the track for one qualy session per day and a 45 min race. My racecar is touring around SCCA Majors events and when I fly in there is more than just racing. At HomeStead and Sebring the fishing in Florida was supurb when not racing. NOLA has the best WW2 museum I have ever seen and the food was fantastic. CoTA fantastic Texas BBQ and taco stands is all over the place. I could not try them all! VIR incredible hospitality, with Charlotte a cool city and Carolina BBQ very special. WGI the fishing again is plentiful, there is a cool 3D archery range, and who doesn't like to walk around Niagara Falls of can pass up Duff's chicken wings?

I say look around gents. We are lucky to be able to think about racing and if you are over 50y/o your days are numbered. So your glass is either half empty or half full. Pick your poison.

3. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Well people make valid points about east coast v. west coast v. runoffs in the middle. Another thing to think about is how stale the Runoffs would be if every year Runoffs were in the middle few tracks. If some East coaster feel strong about how lame it is to tow to the Westcoast then sit 2018 out and stock your war chest for 2019 or spend that extra money saved by not going west on rebuilding your shocks.

Also consider there can be more to a Runoffs week than sitting around the track for one qualy session per day and a 45 min race. My racecar is touring around SCCA Majors events and when I fly in there is more than just racing. At HomeStead and Sebring the fishing in Florida was supurb when not racing. NOLA has the best WW2 museum I have ever seen and the food was fantastic. CoTA fantastic Texas BBQ and taco stands is all over the place. I could not try them all! VIR incredible hospitality, with Charlotte a cool city and Carolina BBQ very special. WGI the fishing again is plentiful, there is a cool 3D archery range, and who doesn't like to walk around Niagara Falls of can pass up Duff's chicken wings?

I say look around gents. We are lucky to be able to think about racing and if you are over 50y/o your days are numbered. So your glass is either half empty or half full. Pick your poison.
    I'm jealous! Most of us:

1. Maintain our own cars, so we ARE stuck at the track all day, every day, on weekends and at the Runoffs.
    2. Tow our own cars to the track, and have limited vacation days that barely cover a national level racing season + Runoffs, so we don't get to spend extra days enjoying the local attractions.

Cory

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    I'm jealous! Most of us:

1. Maintain our own cars, so we ARE stuck at the track all day, every day, on weekends and at the Runoffs.
    2. Tow our own cars to the track, and have limited vacation days that barely cover a national level racing season + Runoffs, so we don't get to spend extra days enjoying the local attractions.

Cory
    I totally hear you! I fix my own car too but I like to do it. When one is on the fringe of making the race budget it is even more important that SCCA is moving the Runoffs around the country so many can enjoy the experience even if it is once in a lifetime. Phoenix and Fall-line and the top guys who could be National Champions don't care if they are long haul towing it is just part of the game for them. They already have multiple sets of new tires for qualy and news tires to race and new rain tires, spending so much to win that more tow miles is really just an annoyance for those guys. A local guy racing regionally with no budget can't tow across the country for 2 1/2 hours of tracktime. He is going to wait until the Runoffs come to him and he has over a year to prepare for it. If he really wants to see what the Runoffs are all about he brings his lunch to work and skips the Starbucks and makes it happen.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I totally hear you! I fix my own car too but I like to do it. When one is on the fringe of making the race budget it is even more important that SCCA is moving the Runoffs around the country so many can enjoy the experience even if it is once in a lifetime. Phoenix and Fall-line and the top guys who could be National Champions don't care if they are long haul towing it is just part of the game for them. They already have multiple sets of new tires for qualy and news tires to race and new rain tires, spending so much to win that more tow miles is really just an annoyance for those guys. A local guy racing regionally with no budget can't tow across the country for 2 1/2 hours of tracktime. He is going to wait until the Runoffs come to him and he has over a year to prepare for it. If he really wants to see what the Runoffs are all about he brings his lunch to work and skips the Starbucks and makes it happen.
    I'm with you - I like the concept of the Runoffs rotating to "bucket list" tracks, even if it means I can't participate every 4 years when it's on the West coast. That being said, I do wonder what will happen when they run out of tracks that enough racers consider "bucket list". Not sure what other "bucket list" tracks are left on the West coast after Laguna and Sonoma.

Cory

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Some of the best Runoffs ever were when they had the long stays at Atlanta and MO.

The competition was beyond intense and it was also like old friends week.

10. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

The Runoffs were once about the racing. That people are more drawn by "destination" tracks than competing at a "national championship" event is a reflection on the state of the watered down racing with too many classes. Apply your own cliche here ...... the horse has left the barn ..... you cannot go back .... however you want to say it, but the Runoffs will be what they become.

If I wanted to go fishing in Florida, I would go fishing in Florida. No need to bring my race car to do that.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Some of the best Runoffs ever were when they had the long stays at Atlanta and MO.

The competition was beyond intense and it was also like old friends week.
    Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    The Runoffs were once about the racing. That people are more drawn by "destination" tracks than competing at a "national championship" event is a reflection on the state of the watered down racing with too many classes. Apply your own cliche here ...... the horse has left the barn ..... you cannot go back .... however you want to say it, but the Runoffs will be what they become.

If I wanted to go fishing in Florida, I would go fishing in Florida. No need to bring my race car to do that.
    My sentiments exactly. I race to race, not to see bucket-list sights or tracks. I am grateful that I was able to race in the hey-days ('70's and '80's) of FF and FC. Unfortunately we'll never see that again.
    Dave Weitzenhof

14. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I race to race, not to see bucket-list sights or tracks. I am grateful that I was able to race in the hey-days ('70's and '80's) of FF and FC. Unfortunately we'll never see that again.

I got to watch in the 70's and 80's but not compete (too young/not enough disposable income).

So with all apologies to Jimmy Buffet:

Yes I am a racer, forty years too late
    The engines don't thunder, whether I'd have won I wonder
    I'm an over-forty victim of fate
    Arriving too late, arriving too late

That said, I am enjoying my time in FF now, looking to RACE where I can. The more I get beat, the more I enjoy the journey to get there. Even if I never do arrive.

Eric Little

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

I would sure like to revisit my 20's and chase skirts again. When we had Mike Lewis on the Board his voice of change was a good view of what SCCA could be or return to be. He was a champion of class consolidation and under his term some class consolidation occurred but not enough. There was pissing and moaning from drivers in every class. Everyone wants their 15 Y/o vette or 50 y/o Triumph spitfire to be competitive. Just like anyone's opinion and resolve can be strengthened by finding factions of believers on the internet so does this happen within SCCA. SCCA is a victim of the time and social patterns. The 70's aren't ever coming back.

Liked: 804

Default back on original subject - 2018

So, 51 weeks to go ...

Can anyone clarify the rumor/story about a reduced length event ? (in terms of number of days start-to-finish)

Can any west-coasters please identify sensible hotel choices, etc. out there?

thx

Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    So, 51 weeks to go ...

Can anyone clarify the rumor/story about a reduced length event ? (in terms of number of days start-to-finish)

Can any west-coasters please identify sensible hotel choices, etc. out there?

thx
    Per the official announcement from SCCA last January: https://www.scca.com/articles/200507...-runoffs-venue

Specifically: "At the suggestion of participants, the 2018 Runoffs, including testing, qualifying and racing, will be shortened overall by two days from the 2015-2017 events."
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    "At the suggestion of participants, the 2018 Runoffs, including testing, qualifying and racing, will be shortened overall by two days from the 2015-2017 events."
    Thx, was aware of that January article, was wondering if there was fresh news.
    For instance, is the event shortened via :
    - two days qual versus current four?
    - greater number of shorter races per day?
    - reduced number of races with greater mix of car classes? (no thread hijacks please )
    - reduced number of race classes invited? (ditto)

or something else...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Thx, was aware of that January article, was wondering if there was fresh news.
    For instance, is the event shortened via :
    - two days qual versus current four?
    - greater number of shorter races per day?
    - reduced number of races with greater mix of car classes? (no thread hijacks please )
    - reduced number of race classes invited? (ditto)

or something else...?
    No inside info, but my understanding is they'll cut out one day of qualifying. No clue on the number of qualifying or race groups, but based on history I'm confident all current Majors classes will be invited.
    Butch Kummer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

I wonder who will control/administer the test days at Sears Point?

Brian

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    I wonder who will control/administer the test days at Sears Point?

Brian
    Sears Point unless SCCA rents the entire facility from Speedway Motorsports which would be a very expensive undertaking. If SCCA does take on the test day(s), they would need to staff a good portion of the facility too.

As a heads up, Sears Point and SCCA (both local SFR and national) do not have a very good working relationship. It is the reason SFR only gets 1 race weekend per year.

Steve

Default from SCCA today:

"What we know as of now is Test Days - October 13th -15th, Qualifying - 16th – 18th, and the Races - 19th – 21st."

Liked: 80

Any chance of them modifying the format so it's not an obligate 10-day long "Runons" ordeal?

Tough sell for those of us with a company to run and a young family. Not a big deal for the pensioners I realize, but makes it a dealbreaker for me these days.

Splitting it up like Solo Nationals does would shorten the event, and would reduce the paddock spots problem.

-Jake

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Default Sonoma

I'm sure the entire Sonoma region situation will look a lot different tomorrow. I know the racetrack personnel were assisting the fire fighters today.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    Any chance of them modifying the format so it's not an obligate 10-day long "Runons" ordeal?

Tough sell for those of us with a company to run and a young family. Not a big deal for the pensioners I realize, but makes it a dealbreaker for me these days.

Splitting it up like Solo Nationals does would shorten the event, and would reduce the paddock spots problem.

-Jake
    Various formats (3-3-3 or 4-1-4, specifically) have been suggested in the past and have always gotten shot down by the BoD because those options "don't have the Runoffs atmosphere".

Let your director know your opinion...
    Butch Kummer

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

I really like rotation and we plan to be there ($$$). Gulp.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post

-Jake
    I wish it was shortened. I was planning on running all of the F600 challenge events next year & the runoffs... but spending 10 days in California + 8 days traveling just isn't in the works for me.... or half the F600 field from what I've seen. Next year will be interesting to see who actually goes though.
    Restricted Racing | Flexx Technology

Liked: 80

Various formats (3-3-3 or 4-1-4, specifically) have been suggested in the past and have always gotten shot down by the BoD because those options "don't have the Runoffs atmosphere".

Done

In case you don't know your BoD members ( I didn't), here's the list for each division: https://www.scca.com/pages/board-of-directors

-J

Default there are always options

While I'm a proponent of running three consecutive 3-day events for nine classes at a time, one can also be realistic and say no one FORCES anyone be there for 10 days.
    For example, my driver this year could have shown up Wednesday evening, qualified Thursday, raced Friday morning, and been home in time for dinner. Yes, there are certain risks with that scenario of course. Not saying he should have, just that he could have.

It all depends on ones personal valuation of the event.

Liked: 3

We are open to alternative formats. If you have suggestions, I’d recommend sending them to the SCCA national staff (Mike/Eric/Deanna). They do the planning. It doesn’t hurt to send a comment of support to your director.

Contributing Member

Default Track Configuration

You guys should consider and notify SCCA of your preference for the Sears Point track configuration. There are a number of Pro car and bike configurations which effectively neuter the challenge of the track for SCCA level competition.

Brian

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by beachguy12 View Post
    I'm sure the entire Sonoma region situation will look a lot different tomorrow. I know the racetrack personnel were assisting the fire fighters today.
    The track and its facilities were not damaged by the fire, except for part of one of the overflow spectator parking fields. By the time spring rolls around and the grass greens up you won't even be able see any remnants of the fire.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

38. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default race schedule ?

When is a realistic date to expect a day-by-day and race order schedule?

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Curious to know what exactly is the issue the SF Region has with Sonoma Raceway? Also why every year they seem to have the least amount of major races than any other region (this trend I noticed even back when we had national races). You can reply to me in a private message if you want.

Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Copeland View Post
    Curious to know what exactly is the issue the SF Region has with Sonoma Raceway? Also why every year they seem to have the least amount of major races than any other region (this trend I noticed even back when we had national races). You can reply to me in a private message if you want.
    The 2018 Western Conference consists of 7 Majors/Super Tour events, that is only equaled by the Southeast Conference region?

Sonoma does seem to only be a single event from a Regional perspective, I was told that is more the track allocation of available weekends than any SF Regional issue with the venue.

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

I guess the thing I've seen is 3 majors in the Cal Club area (Auto Club, Buttonwillow, and Willow Springs), 2 at least in the NorthWest and only 1 in the SF Region area (Thunderhill). Seems disproportionate to me. Sonoma probably a major this year because of the Runoffs. Will it be back as a major next year? Both Laguna Seca and Sears Point used to be the site of national race events. The SFR now just seems to be heavily tilted towards running regionals.

Maybe I'm only looking at it from a geography standpoint, as in what's closest to where I currently sitting. Which is why I'm flying clear across the country this year (like I did last year) to race (although I'm doing mostly regionals this year as they are part of NAF1000.
    Last edited by Thomas Copeland; 02.01.18 at 7:49 PM.

When the Majors program first got started back in 2013 SFR chose not to host an event due to the BoD's requirement that regional-only classes were not invited. This left a hole in the Western Conference schedule with two events in SoPac (ACS & Buttonwillow) and two in NorPac (Pacific & PIR). In 2014 the SFR board did agree to host an event at Thunderhill which attracted 290 entries, mainly due to the Runoffs being back on the West Coast after 40+ years.

In my experience (which admittedly is not recent), the SFR board was/is very protective of their regional-only classes while the National BoD was adamant those classes could not be invited to a Majors event. Last year the National BoD relaxed that requirement to pertain only to Hoosier Super Tour events (i.e. - regional-only classes could participate at Majors but not HSTs).

Bottom line - they will be covered up with entries at the one Sonoma event they hold each year, so I'm thinking SFR chooses not to eliminate a significant portion of their customer base by hosting an event restricted just to Runoffs-eligible classes.

Just guessing based on past experience working with them, and I can't say they're wrong...
    Butch Kummer

Contributing Member

SFR simply gets more business per race weekend with their Regional program that they any National event. It has been this way for many decades.

Sears is a very expensive track to rent. As an example an open test day is $500. Also a number of of pro dates take up a lot of the calendar. Part of Sears is a NHRA dragstrip.

Brian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information