Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: China

Liked: 95

Default 6 sigma

Being an ASQE I am more than familiar with SPC. Trouble is unless you train "the floor" which is the quality dept not the quality dept you repeat issues. Which brings us back to my point China does no such thing at least as leading US/Can companies know it. And I'm not in love with some of the stuff we do.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by Westroc View Post
    Being an ASQE I am more than familiar with SPC. Trouble is unless you train "the floor" which is the quality dept not the quality dept you repeat issues. Which brings us back to my point China does no such thing at least as leading US/Can companies know it. And I'm not in love with some of the stuff we do.
    I completely agree. The vast majority of Chinese companies do not subscribe to SPC unless you insist and implement it with them. I think a very few companies such as Foxcomm do SPC. The workers on the manufacturing floor must be trained and are the SPC quality organization. If the issue gets to QC, its too late.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 927

And the reason that the Japanese kicked our butts for so long is that the US manufacturers did not embrace it. The Japanese did.

Only relatively recently did the US manufacturers (last 20 years) seriously embrace it.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    And the reason that the Japanese kicked our butts for so long is that the US manufacturers did not embrace it. The Japanese did.

Only relatively recently did the US manufacturers (last 20 years) seriously embrace it.
    100% correct Steve it's unique that during WWII we embraced these concepts to win the war and utilizing our manufacturing might and prowess. After the war McArthur used Demming to teach these concepts to rebuild Japan's manufacturing infrastructure and our business leaders sat on their laurels and let go of these ideals. Funny what competition does, wait we racers understand this, after the war all you had to do was start a business in the US to be reasonably successful until the gas shortage and the competition for the consumer money of cars kicked into high gear, I remember the big 3 stated emphatically Americans wouldn't buy those little foreign cars well......

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 33

Yes exactly. Emmick was good. I was a comet guy actually when pop ran it and now Mark We have along w/ the VD,s a team of 6-8 guys and a spectrum of chassis. Some I like very much and some I don't think are up to it much at all. Hardware (again) is just abissmal. example: one guy broke the thru bolt on the accel pedal. The pedal slides over the bolt and the bolt broke from the centre out in the centre section of the bolt. Not at the head or the threads right dead centre of the bolt. That should never happen. If you broke the bolt on a lower A-arm you are in trouble. BTW do not buy Fastenal hardware. I used to use their 6mm caps for our V/C and had 2 heads pop off. What the hell is the torque on them! 6lbs?? Read the back of the box.
    Hi Jim, we have Fastenal here also, I'm lucky enough to live in the land of copious aerospace suppliers and consumers so I only buy AN hardware locally from Spencer Aircraft (shameless plug) and Hi-Strength bolt where I can buy certified socket caps and find quality unusual hardware if they don't have they will make it for me all rolled thread no cut threads Carrol Smith would even approve

Liked: 95

Default I'm one guy with one perspective

Ok maybe to enhance the thread what aggravations, annoyance, problems are other guys- you guys having w/racing parts from China et. al.I mentioned helmets and fittings but what about the rest of the stuff. ie: ignition parts, plugs,gloves, shoes,. Where can I source better meaning from US. Bolts I'm set and happy ignition stuff I usually have one hand holding the other from throwing it.
    What are others experience?
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 283

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Brannon View Post
    100% correct Steve it's unique that during WWII we embraced these concepts to win the war and utilizing our manufacturing might and prowess. After the war McArthur used Demming to teach these concepts to rebuild Japan's manufacturing infrastructure and our business leaders sat on their laurels and let go of these ideals.
    Well put, and still far too prevalent in general US business in general - see for confirmation the pervasiveness of the MBA...

Other parts... I've slowly but surely migrated to using only Mil-Spec switches... and have thrown away all my quarter-turn kill switches (even the English ones) and replaced with contactors.Even electrical connectors, slowly migrating away from some of the cheaper styles of those (namely, spade connectors - far too easy to fall into the trap of using those in a pinch) and over to Metri-pak connectors and the like, OEM level of quality and durability...

Another one - diagnostics for the bike motor. I bought the HealTech "OBD" diagnostic tool directly from their vendor (shameless plug, but not a sponsor):
    https://www.healtech-electronics.com/wheretobuy/

Much more expensive than finding a cheap clone on eBay. But then I get my SW installed and updated directly from the manufacturer, safely. That eBay clone? With the software CD made in China? What else do you suppose is on that CD and going to install itself on your computer??? Support the little guys developing the technology, and you won't regret it. Having this tool, working properly, helped me diagnose an odd wiring/power supply problem in my harness that otherwise went undiagnosed.
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1886

Ok maybe to enhance the thread what aggravations, annoyance, problems are other guys- you guys having w/racing parts from China et. al.
    What are others experience?

Best advice: For anything racing DO NOT BUY FROM CHINA. Period, end of argument.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 130

What happens when A legendary company gets bought out and now is made in china. That decal is under the clear coat.

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 18

Default Chinese Bikes

There are very few bikes - including legendary names like Pinarello and Colnago - that aren't made in China or Taiwan these days. There are good Chinese factories and not-so-good ones, but in general the quality of the top frames is if anything better than those crafted by old-school European artisans back in the day. That's in large part because bike companies don't want to get sued, have to recall products, deal with warranty issues, etc. Many companies have full-time employees living in China or Taiwan overseeing QC and production. Back in the old days if your Colnago cracked or the paint fell off, you were on your own.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 130

Quote Originally Posted by curnonsky View Post
    There are very few bikes - including legendary names like Pinarello and Colnago - that aren't made in China or Taiwan these days. There are good Chinese factories and not-so-good ones, but in general the quality of the top frames is if anything better than those crafted by old-school European artisans back in the day. That's in large part because bike companies don't want to get sued, have to recall products, deal with warranty issues, etc. Many companies have full-time employees living in China or Taiwan overseeing QC and production. Back in the old days if your Colnago cracked or the paint fell off, you were on your own.
    Exactly right on every point.

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by xmazdatracy View Post
    What happens when A legendary company gets bought out and now is made in china. That decal is under the clear coat.
    I will give you that this is funny but.... I have a set of Zipp 60 wheels (very high quality manufacturer and not made in China. Made right here in 'merica). The 60 is no longer made but it is a carbon wheel with an alloy brake surface. About the same wheel as the 303 at the time but with the alloy brake surface. My set however is the only Zipp 363 ever made. The sticker on one side of the wheel says it is a 60 and on the opposite, it says it is a 303. Zipp offered to send a new sticker but I refused as having the only 363 in existence is too cool.

The moral of the story, simple mistakes will be made. Laugh at them sure but don't for a second believe that it won't happen to a high end brand as well and may not be an indication of product quality.

Eric Little

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information