Liked: 45

Default Fuel Cell Enclosure Lining

I took the fuel cell enclosure apart on my FE and there was a fair amount of crud inside the enclosure (sand, dirt, tire rubber pickup, etc.). This gunk, combined with the cell just rubbing against the aluminum enclosure, resulted in the cell wearing on its bottom and selected corners. Luckily, however, it's not leaking and the wear doesn't seem too serious.

Does anyone line the interior of the aluminum enclosure to prevent abrasion on the cell? If so, what material is used?

I was thinking of sealing the enclosure joints with fuel tank sealant (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/ac236b4.php) to keep out dirt, and then lining the enclosure with something like wool felt.

I could use rubber as a liner, but I'm worried it may break down and turn to goo if the cell ever leaks. I guess I could go with Viton, but that's probably quite expensive.

Thanks,
    Jon

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

If the FE's fuel cell is anything like the way VD made the mid-90's enclosures, I wouldn't surprise me. Small pebbles had put dozens of pinholes in my cell.

The enclosure wasn't sealed or rivited to the lower frame rails, nor attached to the firewall. Fixed that with some L strip, use the while flourosilicone fuel resistant stuff around most of the joints, replaced all the rivits in the lid with nutserts so I can easily pull the lid off with just a stubby screwdiver (although the ones that go thru the firewall are a challenge).

Put countersunk drain holes in the front corners of the enclosure's bottom, and because my replacement cell is a skosch smaller than the original, lined the back and both sides with thin ensolite, which keeps the cell from moving around and does away with the need to cover the nutsert heads with tape.

I take a strip of cell foam and stuff it around the filler neck at the enclosure to keep stuff from getting in there.

Had the cell out three times in the last 10 years and no issues other than a slight amount of aluminum corrosion on the bottom.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 113

I take the fuel cell out and clean it every year (which is about every 9-12 race days at my schedule) I tape over any bolt or rivet head which are on the inside of the cell (gaffers tape) and I try to tape over the exterior seams.

As of the late 80's (may have changed) Air Force planes such as the F15 actually had molded inserts that went in the fuel cell bay to cover up any rivet heads (it may have also improved some penetration resistance) I can not remember the material.

Navy planes such as the F18 sinply taped over the exposed rivet heads in the fuel cell bay. I am not sure what the tape was but I know the adhesive was powerful and very aeromatic. One of the regular tapers had me crawl into a bay in the process of being taped and i lasted all of about 3 seconds in there.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

You can use sticky-sided insulation as is used on camper bodies, window frames, etc. available at the local Lowes. Get the thin and wide version, clean the rivit head line with brake clean and stick the stuff on. It will hold long enough to get the cell in place and comes out easily. Most people never maintain the cell or the cell area and only do something when it starts to leak.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I used perforated toolbox liner ( from Sears? ) to surround my cell. It's held up well so far.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

One more item on the checklist... Good info ! Thx
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 0

Default fuel bladder

I have a leak in my fuel bladder. It took some work, but I was able to remove the foam thru the fuel filler hole. The bladder just doesn't look like it will come out that way. A new one sure doesn't look like it will go in that way.
    Do I need to make an access panel behind the seat or come from below the car? Is there already a panel designed for removal?
    If you can help me w/ this, do you have an idea of where to get another bladder? Pegasus? Fuel safe? SCCA?
    DR

Liked: 4

Unfortunately the best way I know is to split the car & remove the engine. The panel between the cell and the engine can be removed and it comes out that way.

Contact your CSR/enterprises for a replacement.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Quote Originally Posted by esr2012 View Post
    I have a leak in my fuel bladder. It took some work, but I was able to remove the foam thru the fuel filler hole. The bladder just doesn't look like it will come out that way. A new one sure doesn't look like it will go in that way.
    Do I need to make an access panel behind the seat or come from below the car? Is there already a panel designed for removal?
    If you can help me w/ this, do you have an idea of where to get another bladder? Pegasus? Fuel safe? SCCA?
    DR
    Having just removed and reinstalled my cell, I don't think you will get the bladder out through the filler plate hole at the top of the cell (without damaging it, at least).

The best way to get it out (this sucks, but it is what it is) is to remove the engine and the engine bay frame. You can then remove the vertical center frame tube behind the cell enclosure (it's bolted in place). Then drill out the rivets holding the aluminum panel on the back of the cell enclosure. Then slide that aluminum panel out. You can then pull the cell out of the back of the enclosure and replace.

When I reinstalled my cell, I sealed all of the seams of the aluminum enclosure to keep out the dirt, and added some felt padding in the areas that showed the most wear.

Regards,
    Jon

Liked: 8

Default Padding

I took my son to the army surplus store a while ago. While he was looking at stuff I stumbled upon used bedding rolls. The ones I got were from the Swiss army but any one will do. These are super light-weight, closed cell foam material. About 3/8 inch thick, 32 inches wide, and 6 feet long, they are great material to line fuel cell boxes...and at $20bucks a pop, were super inexpensive. Good for lining battery boxes as well. Oh ya, I guess you could sleep on them as well

The only down side is that the material is a tad thick for lining existing boxes...you might have to build new enclosures for existing cells. But the up-side is that this weighs next to nil, will not absorb fuel, water etc, and is cheap. Hey! I finally found something that actually meets the "racer's criteria": Cheap, strong, light! Cool!

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Default Re: Fuel Cell Enclosure Lining

:thumbup:
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 30

Default Just found this.

3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8544

I've also read that neoprene sheet can be used. McMaster-Carr has fuel resistant and fabric face ( like wetsuit material) as thin as 1/8". I'd like thinner but I think this would work.

Ian

Liked: 0

Default bladder

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll keep you posted.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I just pulled my cell and have the same dirt and grime. Plan to seal the enclosure better than it was but would also like to make life easier for the cell. There was a square of material on the floor when I pulled the cell.

So I'd like to line it with something....

This film looks ok
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#=1a8mry7

But this looks tougher:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#76445a828/=1a8mu36

Any updated suggestions on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I just pulled my cell and have the same dirt and grime. Plan to seal the enclosure better than it was but would also like to make life easier for the cell. There was a square of material on the floor when I pulled the cell.

So I'd like to line it with something....

This film looks ok
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#=1a8mry7

But this looks tougher:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#76445a828/=1a8mu36

Any updated suggestions on this thread?
    Use wool felt. That's what I ended up using. Won't turn to goo. Is soft and won't abrade the cell. McMaster sells tons of variets.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

The stuff Brownslane found in the thread above is the ensolite I was referring to. I've found that if there's an adhesive involved that is not the fluorosilicone stuff from Dow it will degrade pretty quickly:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=5747

http://www.skandiaupholsterysupplies...e-Closed-Cell/

Thread Information