Liked: 2

Default Tilton OT-II Clutch Life

Any insight on many race weekends one can expect the OT II clutch to last on a typical FF?

Thanks in advance.

Liked: 246

I just replace disc at engine rebuild. Approx 50hrs or 20-25 weekends. Todd

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

If it isn't cracked (check very carefully with a magnifying glass), the splines are in good shape, and the friction material is not all gnarled up, life would be determined by the thickness, which the minimum would be in the instructions and how much you slip the clutch when starting to move.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 160

I just replaced mine during the latest engine rebuild. It lasted 3 seasons (18 race weekends and a few test days). I have never had one wear out so 20-25 weekends sounds good but it may also may depend on how you use your clutch. I usually use mine to down shift but not up shift. Some people only use theirs to get out of the pits and around the paddock. I would also recommend that you replace your throw out bearing at the same time as your clutch disk.

Cheers, Joe

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Depends...

Whether you use the clutch during the "heat of battle" or shift without using the clutch and how much you use the the transmission down shift in preparation to set up for braking into a turn in preparation to power out of the turn. The more you use the clutch/transmission; the increase in wear on the splines is not linear. The more wear on the splines the wear rate increases. I change the disk automatically at the end of the second race year 'cause I don't enjoy pulling the transmission in the middle of the season to change the clutch disk the subsequent year, 3rd?. Some drivers are more aggressive and need to change the disk at the end of each year to avoid that mid year change the second season. Can't say how many weekends one can expect the disk to last, 10, 12, 15? Depends on how aggressive you are and the amount of shifting you must do for that particular race. Racing is lots of fun. Changing the clutch disk less so.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

I was aware of what to look for if I have the gearbox off, but I'm on my 2nd year with a new clutch and pressure plate and all is running great at the moment. That gives me a good idea on what I can expect, as I use the clutch for up and down shifting.

Thanks to everyone for contributing. Much appreciated!

Liked: 35

New discs are .104 thick . A worn out disc will be .74
    These are specs on a single disc , They change with multi disc applications.
    The other things to look at will be warpadge on the pressure plate as well as the friction surface of the flywheel .
    This will have a maximum of .008 warpedge.
    Give me a call if you have any questions 800-922-4327
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Just passing on this info in case someone else asks the question.

I did removed the clutch for inspection and found it was at 0.9" after two seasons from new, and I use the clutch on every shift.

My estimate is the metallic OT II clutch should last approximately 5-6 years with about 6 race weekends a year. Longer if you don't use the clutch much and like to grind gears a bit more than I do. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTY81 View Post
    New discs are .104 thick . A worn out disc will be .74
    These are specs on a single disc , They change with multi disc applications.
    The other things to look at will be warpadge on the pressure plate as well as the friction surface of the flywheel .
    This will have a maximum of .008 warpedge.
    Give me a call if you have any questions 800-922-4327

Thread Information