Thread: "paypal" scam

Liked: 130

Default "paypal" scam

Just got hit with this this morning.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...language=en-gb

Almost fell for it. At the last minute I did a copy past search for it and found this link stating it was fake. Normally the hotmail box is very good at keeping this stuff out. But this one made it past. I could tell something was off when there was no PayPal in the URL and the little lock was not at the URL either.

Get a job you jerks

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by xmazdatracy View Post
    Just got hit with this this morning.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/...language=en-gb

Almost fell for it. At the last minute I did a copy past search for it and found this link stating it was fake. Normally the hotmail box is very good at keeping this stuff out. But this one made it past. I could tell something was off when there was no PayPal in the URL and the little lock was not at the URL either.

Get a job you jerks

Might want to use google translate so those jerks get your message. "Your account make a suspicious transaction. . ." doesn't sound like English is their primary language.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

There has been an increase in scams involving Paypal, Apple/ITunes, etc. If you HAVE to open the message, do so on the phone. If you feel you HAVE to check the security of your account, NEVER click on their link. Close everything out, re-open the devil box, and access the appropriate website directly.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 3323

Default Bogus PayPal Emails with links...

I just got 2 bogus "PayPal" messages, so it's spreading. They were picked up by my spam filter.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 80

Default scams abound

i've been getting robocalls this week from "apple support". telling me that my ipad has been compromised and i need to call them.

apple has an 800 number for support

the "tollfree" number is not an 800 number, nor is it tollfree.

didn't call it.

i don't own an ipad. never have.

i'm tired of the b.s.

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

I got a call from someone yesterday purporting be from Windows. He said in a good Hindi accent that my computer was reporting a lot of crashes lately and if I would let him into my computer he could help correct the problem from his office. 1) I have Vista which I believe Windows has stopped supporting by now. 2) I've read where you should never let anyone into your computer so they can adjust it from afar unless you made the original call for help and know who you are calling. I said i wasn't interested and hung up.I hate all these scams. The latest around here is a supposed courthouse official calling you and saying you missed your Jury duty appointment and you would be fined or arrested if you didn't send money right away. Court Houses do most everything by mail regarding Jury duty and like the iRS do not phone you.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Hotel business centet

I travel a lot on business. So if in doubt I just use the computer in the business center to check it out. And you wonder why those machines never work right.

Ed

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1882

Depending on your browser and mail provider, when you get one of these emails, hover your cursor over the sender name, and the senders email address will appear. 99.999% of the time you will see that the address does not even begin to match where it purports to be coming from.

Liked: 98

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Depending on your browser and mail provider, when you get one of these emails, hover your cursor over the sender name, and the senders email address will appear. 99.999% of the time you will see that the address does not even begin to match where it purports to be coming from.
    Exactly. Same with any links in the email body. Remember: the text of the link says nothing about the link itself. The text could be "paypal.com" but the link is http://www.xyz.com/sucker. Hover over the link to see where it actually goes. Don't believe the text.

Similarly, the sender's name may say <support@paypal.com> but the actual address is sucker@xyz.com. Hover to see it.

If they claim to be paypal, then the links and the email addresses (as revealed from the hover) should be to paypal.com, not paypal-community.com or peypal.com, etc.

Better yet, just never click on a link in an email unless you know the sender. Paypal, your bank, etc will never send a link in an email. They will just tell you to go to their website yourself by typing in the address into your browser, log in, and check your messages. Never via a link in the email.

Greg

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by captaineddie1975 View Post
    I got a call from someone yesterday purporting be from Windows. He said in a good Hindi accent that my computer was reporting a lot of crashes lately and if I would let him into my computer he could help correct the problem from his office.
    A month or so ago BofA broke the way they interacted with Quicken. After hours of back and forth with tech support from both companies, BofA sent me to their "advanced" support. Given that I made the call to the number BofA gave me I let the guy with the accent take control. After more back and forth, he opened a command prompt, ran a bunch of tree commands to dazzle me, then announced I had a trojan that his tech could remove in a mere 30 minutes and some $ subscription amount I've forgotten. No thanks.

I reverted to a saved version of the Win10 virtual machine, waited a week, and BofA fixed the problem at their end. After I had given their customer service manager an earful about "George."
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Typo

Also be real careful on spelling when typing in your bank or similar web site. There are a lot of web sites out there with common misspellings to trap you. Almost fell for it once but the home page didn't look right. Check what I had typed and caught it in time.

The internet was fun for a while but we need something better now. Just too many scammers working it.

Ed

Liked: 80

Default tahoo

flickr is a yahoo property.

my pics are on flickr.

yahoo was hacked.

i have an email from them telling me how to deal with their cockup.

i'm sure i'm not alone here with this info.
    Last edited by marc sproule; 10.19.17 at 1:45 PM.

Liked: 301

Default PayPal Scams

I receive about 12 "PayPal" scam-mails per month.
    Most of them say my account has been frozen or locked and that I need to click on a link to log in.
    DO NOT CLICK ON THOSE LINKS !!!
    Fortunately, my server filters these directly to my Spam Box.
    And if you check the address that sent you the message, it's not PayPal at all.
    Any REAL email from PayPal will start with addressing you by YOUR NAME, not by your email address or "Dear Sir".
    If anyone out there receives suspect scam mail from "PayPal", forward it to: spoof@paypal.com
    They take it very seriously and try to investigate them all.
    Glenn

Liked: 605

1. Wanna buy a bridge ?

2. I will not use PayPal - period - someday when they're hacked it will be extremely painful for many people - but not me...........because I will not use PayPal........period.

3. However..........because I'm not stupid..........maybe not the brightest light bulb in the box either...............but not stupid, I shall add that my stock position in PayPal is doing very very well thank you.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

. 2) I've read where you should never let anyone into your computer so they can adjust it from afar unless you made the original call for help and know who you are calling. Court Houses do most everything by mail regarding Jury duty and like the iRS do not phone you.
    You are correct, never let anyone into your computer, and I'd add even if you initiated the call. I had McAfee Techmaster Support (which I paid for) for my old computer. This included the Security suite. About a year and a half ago, I had some issues with my machine, called them to "fix" it. Oh they did all right, Unbeknownst to me, the overly polite/friendly Hindi English speaking guy, Ethan, or Bill or George or whatever he claimed his name was, Uninstalled ALL the security software from my computer. A few days later, I had over 3000 spam emails on my yahoo account, and a few hundred on my Outlook account. Then we found that one of our credit cards had been used to purchase airline tickets, and soon thereafter, my bank called me to inquire as to whether or not I had just setup On Line Wire Transfer and attempted to transfer ALL the money out of my savings account! Yikes! (Fortunately, between being a Racer and therefore having very little money to save, and my primary bank paying a whopping .01% Interest, I keep little money in that bank) I of course canceled the McAfee account, but that did not stop them from charging my credit card when the annual renewal came up, even though I had verified with them shortly before hand that I indeed did NOT want to renew. Fortunately, my CC company, notified me of a questionable charge and stopped it.

And as for the Courts, well, I was on call for Jury Duty this past Sept. I received a letter from the (actual) Judicial Dept, my personal data (and others) had been "inadvertently accessed", but THEY thought is was of minor concern. They got a severe letter back from me. (I did receive a reply, it had be escalated, and they said they would take my suggestions into account for changes) I didn't have to serve, not sure if the two were related or not. Oh, and my wife recieved a call one day from the "IRS", there's a warrant out for her arrest. Apparently they still haven't found her, 'cause she's sitting right here where I like her.

As for Paypal scams, oh yeah, I get those too. Apple ID too. DELETE.

Good luck everyone, be careful out there
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    2. I will not use PayPal - period - someday when they're hacked it will be extremely painful for many people - but not me...........because I will not use PayPal........period.
    I find this funny. Not sure why people have this great fear of Paypal. They probably have better security that most banks and credit card companies. Certainly better than retail companies that have your credit card info. Better than Equifax!?!
    They also have better fraud protection than any other. That does frustrate people sometimes.

So many people have your private information. That's the scary part. Example: We recently had our pool cover replaced. Came out and gave us an estimate. Gave them a down payment via credit card with the order over the phone (they insisted). 8 weeks later they showed up and installed the new cover. Job done, sign here - and there was all my credit card info, name address, phone, etc. on the workers job sheet. I asked when this would get back to the office. End of the week, but the charge would be processed in a few hours. They pickup a week of job sheets at a time. The private details of probably 40 people bouncing around in a pickup truck for a week. They have 5 trucks. Great.

This thread is labeled "paypal" scam. It's not a paypal scam. It's a scam using your gullibility and getting you to reveal your paypal account details. No different that any online account.

So, instead of saying "I'm a gullible idiot" people blame paypal.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I've read where you should never let anyone into your computer so they can adjust it
    Quote Originally Posted by racingflyboy View Post
    You are correct, never let anyone into your computer,
    It's been revealed recently that allowing remote access to your computer is not necessary.
    Whether you're a Trump fan or not, the investigation into 'Russian ties' has revealed that the Antivirus software company Kaspersky actually contains spyware. As it scans for viruses, it also scans for keywords and transfers data it finds with keywords to a server for review. They can then initiate full access to your computer. Fun.

Some computer chips made in China have also been found to contain spyware. DOD contractors found this and some companies have made it their policy to not buy Chinese chips - hard to do in todays market.

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I reverted to a saved version of the Win10 virtual machine,
    A good technique but the average user has enough trouble with basics.

Thread Information