Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I know why it's not working:
    - Technos have a lip or safety bead you need to get over to get on the seat.
    - The AR tires have been "tightened" to help prevent slippage during braking.

So, smaller tire on bigger wheel...

Long term solution is to probably to grind off the lip. But, before I do that I'd like to try the tires.

Have you tried mounting that tire on a different wheel and a different tire on the current wheel? Would be interesting to see if it is the wheel that has a problem with any tire or if the tire has a problem with any wheel.

It sounds like you have your own mounting equipment so it might be worth a test just to see.

Eric Little

Liked: 151

I've mounted tires on a pretty decent variety of wheels and technos aren't really that bad to mount on. I strongly prefer mounting tires dry and I've always been able to with Technos. I've got a Dymag that had to go to 60+ psi.
    I like the previous idea of swapping this one with the other wheel to identify where the problem lies.
    One idea I haven't seen mentioned is to get it up to 45 psi or so and I drive around the paddock or the block on it. It might cause the bead to seat.
    If the guys at the track get it mounted, I would like to know just how much pressure it took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

It's not help, but I just read an article in either Racetech or Racecar Technology that some rally tires are taking 10 bar to seat the beads!

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Little View Post
    Have you tried mounting that tire on a different wheel and a different tire on the current wheel? Would be interesting to see if it is the wheel that has a problem with any tire or if the tire has a problem with any wheel.

It sounds like you have your own mounting equipment so it might be worth a test just to see.

Eric Little
    I've mounted Pirellis and Hoosiers on these wheels before.
    It's happening to both fronts -so there is some consistency there.

Have not tried the tire on another wheel. Didn't want to dismount other tires I have.

see post#6. Nick says they've tightened them up.....

What curious is these AR fronts are noticeably stiffer. Maybe even more so than the Pirelli radials.

Anyway, I've put all the time I can into it for now (way too much). Other things to do before heading to the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    If the guys at the track get it mounted, I would like to know just how much pressure it took.
    I will find out...

Liked: 605

naïve here.

Until Brad brought mounting equipment to the track, I noticed but thought little of it that the guys at the local Discount Tire shop in Apopka mounting my ARs would occasionally have to try about three different times to get a tire to seat up properly - in their cage. I'll bet they ran the pressure up over 60 at times - used more soapy water - etc - on an old set of Technos like is the subject here.

This last time I took them a set of OZs instead.......they finished up and threw 'em in the back of the truck and off I went. Last night packing up for Sebring I noticed one of the OZ fronts was exactly like what's being discussed here. It's holding a pressure of 30 just fine - no bubbles to water in the groove anywhere. I guess I can find the time to take it back............but in the mean time let me ask the obvious naïve question > > What if I simply ignored it - dropped the pressure down to about 13.5 and went out on it anyway?

It might lose air on a hard corner? ......but I'll bet it wouldn't be much.
    It might more likely walk/rotate on the rim? ..........in June on the short Sebring course [which is nothing but 'point and shoot'] well seated ARs walked on the front rims - one probably about three to four inches - it didn't seem to matter as my times were near personal best every session and the tires held their pressure.
    It might seat? ...........ahh yes - the ol' wishful thinking thing.

If I find the time I'll call Brad and also the AR boys and come back and post what they say.

Update: Primus says nothing overly specific but does say he wouldn't run on it that way - maybe it would be ok but maybe there could be a loss of air in a hard corner - maybe it would be more likely to walk and then throw off the balance ............so nothing overly specific other than he's run some tires way the heck up on poundage to get them to seat the bead - much in the realm of what Hardingfv32 was taking about on page 1 of this thread - but the obvious thing when going that high is to have the tire in a cage and stand out of the way
    Last edited by EYERACE; 08.30.17 at 5:10 PM.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 605

Took the OZ back to the shop, ran the pressure - without dismounting first - up to about 80....popped right into place.

Guys at the track did it. Took about 80 psi like you said.....

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Here's something really crazy to try: Put tire in sun like before but this time make a sheet metal collar or something like it to put just inside the rim and fill it with ice. Make the wheel smaller while the tire is hot ;-)
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

Back in '05 when the Hoosier fronts were slipping on the rim we just put a tire glue on the rim during install.

I'd rather have to do that than jack pressures up so high. I've seen the results of the explosions, and they are not pretty.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 130

its at 2:37.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

So the tire finally seated and it only took 48 posts. Fantastic!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

18. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

There is a tire supply company in Minneapolis called Hanco, the sell a tire lube under their own brand name. The lube is alcohol based so you are not introducing moisture into your tires. It is incredibly sticky almost honey consistency, a good tire lube goes along way. About $12 a gallon.

Dave

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

Crisco, Bardahl, Vagisil.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information