Liked: 78

Default Thinking about getting into FE

So I have an opportunity to purchase an FE car and it's actually in my price range. I am in the Great Lakes region so I'd like to have an open wheeler that runs in this area. I'd also like something, relatively speaking, straight forward to work on and a class with minimal setup options where the driver more than car is the reason for success. What does FE cost to run a weekend, approx.?

Aside from that; there seems to be some discontent in FE more so than other categories. I am slightly afraid I am getting into something that is either dying or in a slow decline. Technically, you could say that about motorsport in general (with these kids and their rock music), and I am slightly fearful of that general decline as well. I have a history of getting into things right when everyone pulls out; so I am trying to see if that pattern is continuing.

Who are the main parts suppliers (links?) and does anyone have a pricing sheet handy? I have seen shock rebuild pricing and some engine rebuild procedures, but not pricing. Also, sore subject I know, but can someone give me a link to where the tires are purchased? I thought this was it below, but can't find FE on there.

http://www.americanraceronline.com

Liked: 121

There is talk of new engine, transmission, shocks and not sure what else. Do your research.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardi View Post
    There is talk of new engine, transmission, shocks and not sure what else. Do your research.
    Where is this talk taking place; SCCA backrooms? Asking these questions on this forum is my research so far; what other resources out there have this information?

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 195

Default FE gen2

Quote Originally Posted by toolo4sno View Post
    Where is this talk taking place; SCCA backrooms? Asking these questions on this forum is my research so far; what other resources out there have this information?
    Look down in this forum under FE gen2.

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Look down in this forum under FE gen2.
    I see that now. It's a hot discussion I see. I will read up. Not really what I wanted to see though. I have a feeling this great deal won't be anywhere near that in the end.

Liked: 447

Each region has a CSR who is at most of the major races in each area. You would get tires through them. The discontent you mention was most likely the switch of the tire from Hoosier to the American Racer. Yes, the first gen AR tire had some severe issues but those have since been ironed out. Yes, we are now slower than what we had on the Hoosier, but the tires are lasting 10-15 heat cycles with no loss in performance over sticker tires. This, for us, is a HUGE cost savings! The Gen2 FE is going to be at a different price point than what most people who are currently attracted to with the current FE and it is still going to take a few years to begin showing any signs of life in comparison to the current FE car counts. FE in the Central Division is currently the strongest it has EVER been and one of the strongest formula car classes due to the current price point of the car and the "spec" level playing field. The current engines are no longer manufactured so they can no longer be sourced. This is similar to what happened in FC (Pinto) and FF (Kent) and is the reason for the new proposal for the Gen2 so that FE doesn't die on the vine. Due to the nature of the new engine (hp and torque), parity would never exist to combine the cars into one class especially being a spec class. There will be a place for Gen1 FEs to race for some time yet and based on how often people replace engines on the FE, there will still be much larger car counts than most other formula cars at events.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 53

Default FE

I just bought an FE, and am also in southeast Michigan. Be happy to share my thoughts if you let me know who you are (best bet is using my gmail address: larrywinkelman23). If you can make it to Gingerman this weekend, both the GLDiv and CenDiv CSRs will be there - Alliance Autosport and One Formula Racing. Ask Scott or Steve, or any of the FE drivers, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of good information (and maybe a little BS).

Ohh boy for someone hoping to get into open wheel and not bankrupt my family that's not a good read. I thought with FE being much newer than FC that there wouldn't be these problems; like Ver2 being talked about.

I understand that if the engine isn't available that's tough to deal with. Haven't the Pintos and Zetecs had this problem as well. What did they do? Of course those engines seemed to be viable for much longer; so there is a bigger pool to reman I suppose.

I don't know what to do now. I thought FE was the way to go.

Does anyone have a maintenance schedule for these things? I know that is a little ridiculous for a race car, but even something like:

Check CVs every other weekend
    Service gearbox every month

That kind of stuff. Are their manuals to help with disassembly and reassembly showing fastener torque figures and such?

Liked: 530

When I owned FE I researched and found every file out there for maintenance, operation, etc for everything from engine, trans, chassis, updates, data system, ecu, etc. I put a binder together and I posted the files on this website. Probably 2 years ago at least. I'd have to do some digging on an old laptop to find it all again. See if you can find it on here somewhere.

I'll second the recommendation to get over to Gingerman this weekend. It's relatively close to you and you'll meet all the great FE drivers. There is no faster way to learn about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    When I owned FE I researched and found every file out there for maintenance, operation, etc for everything from engine, trans, chassis, updates, data system, ecu, etc. I put a binder together and I posted the files on this website. Probably 2 years ago at least. I'd have to do some digging on an old laptop to find it all again. See if you can find it on here somewhere.

I'll second the recommendation to get over to Gingerman this weekend. It's relatively close to you and you'll meet all the great FE drivers. There is no faster way to learn about it.
    I think I found a post of yours with a lot of technical paper links. Some links work some not yet on my machine, but I am sifting through the ones that do. Thanks.

Update:

So far two HPDE groups I have run with have given me the green light to run an FE during their track days. That's almost good enough for me to continue since I'd have at least a place to use the thing while the drivetrain gets sorted out for spec racing.

So now that I've talked myself (80%) into doing this; what do I pay extra special attention too when inspecting this thing?

Cold start and drive around the block is all I got now. What should I be looking at?

Liked: 112

Larry---you shouldn't have gotten into my car!

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 447

So now that I've talked myself (80%) into doing this; what do I pay extra special attention too when inspecting this thing?

Cold start and drive around the block is all I got now. What should I be looking at?
    Check the logbook to see when it was last raced. The previous owners may also tip off the rest of us on whether or not the owners were reputable or not. There are a couple dozen upgrades that could be costly if it hasn't gotten them yet.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 530

I found all of the files on my laptop so if I need to repost I can. Will need some kind of file site to use I think.

Be glad you only got a drive around the block. Jed Copham (owner - BIR) generously put me up for the night at a condo at his track and let me test drive FE for 2 full sessions back when I was considering getting into one. I wrote him a check the next day. HPDE is all I ever did with mine, and it was a blast. I had guys in the SE that would link up with FMs, Radical SR3, etc and we chased each other many weekends every year.

Does any other racing series run a slick and or wet tire that is the same size at FE? Essentially, if I didn't care about running the spec tire is there another option out there?

Liked: 324

Give this guy a call and see what kind of price he would have on some 'take off' tires. This may be an option that would interest you

John Berget
    http://www.jbracingtires.net/

Quote Originally Posted by CGOffroad View Post
    Give this guy a call and see what kind of price he would have on some 'take off' tires. This may be an option that would interest you

John Berget
    http://www.jbracingtires.net/
    Called him today. WOW, that's cheap for a full set of wet or dries. Bless you sponsored drivers for unloading that "nasty" old rubber for us poor people to buy.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

As of today I am no longer thinking about getting into FE.

I made it rain hundreds on the owner of #004/3074 and took delivery today. Honestly, I am sporting a little buyers remorse, but imagine when I start tearing into it the fun will come back. At least when I get into the custom stuff, electronics and such. Getting it turn key maybe not so much. I will probably start a refresh thread when I start figuring things out.

Thanks for all the input. I hope to see you on track in some capacity soon.
    Last edited by toolo4sno; 07.31.17 at 4:27 PM.

21. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License dsmithwc04's Avatar
    Liked: 178

As of today I am no longer thinking about getting into FE.

I made it rain hundreds on the owner of #004 and took delivery today. Honestly, I am sporting a little buyers remorse, but imagine when I start tearing into it the fun will come back. At least when I get into the custom stuff, electronics and such. Getting it turn key maybe not so much. I will probably start a refresh thread when I start figuring things out.

Thanks for all the input. I hope to see you on track in some capacity soon.

I'm confused. You bought an FE and no longer wish to run it? Na, get 'er done and once your out on track the pain in your cheeks will be from the fun you just had in the completed session. Easy to work on, easy to drive (relatively speaking) and cheap to run (relatively speaking).

Also, are you saying there is custom electronics on the car? Those four spare shocks it comes with are Penskes or are they the originals?
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
    I'm confused. You bought an FE and no longer wish to run it? Na, get 'er done and once your out on track the pain in your cheeks will be from the fun you just had in the completed session. Easy to work on, easy to drive (relatively speaking) and cheap to run (relatively speaking).

Also, are you saying there is custom electronics on the car? Those four spare shocks it comes with are Penskes or are they the originals?
    No need for confusion. I just need to get it track ready; buyers remorse was over the time that will take me. I couldn't stretch it's legs during the test drive and I am a little disappointed in myself for rushing into the purchase. The goal was to run it in HPDEs this year and I just don't think it's going to happen, but I could be wrong.

I believe the spare shocks are originals. I haven't gotten into the spare gear yet. I have another project that I need to wrap up to be able to dive straight in to the FE. To free up garage space.

I will enjoy planning and installing the AV and telemetry recording devices. Along with radio and such. I think this car has a beacon receiver that's about it for electronic gear.
    Last edited by toolo4sno; 07.31.17 at 4:28 PM.

Liked: 9

My goodness. To the original post and others considering FE. Don't over think this. If you like the FE looks and the idea of very little maintenance and a CSR at the tracks to help you get out of trouble, find a car and start logging races. I am four years in and no regrets. We are generally pretty nice guys too.

25. The following 3 users liked this post:

Thread Information