Liked: 4

Default FF Elden Mk8 new acquisition

Through good fortune I bought a 1971 Elden Mk8 FF last week from the original owner. It'd been raced for a few seasons and then parked in a garage since the mid-70's. Along the way it was partially disassembled. Complete minus nose (although it included an unused Mk10 nose), right side panel and fuel tank. I certainly appreciate what I have and will preserve it but don't intend to race it.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 757

What a great find. Glad to hear it'll be restored and raced again. I love this era of Formula Ford. Great looking cars.
    if you can it would be great to see photos as you go through the restoration process.

My personal preference would be to keep it as original as possible and not making it SCCA legal by replacing the roll hoops. Just a personal thing!

Oh, and keep those steel wheels too!
    Last edited by SEComposites; 04.27.17 at 10:06 PM.

Liked: 3

Default Had 2 different 10b's

My brother and I owned 2 different 10's in 1977-1987 or so. Simple and tough awesome in slow to third gear turns, great brakeing, and a hand full in the fast stuff! Even if you don't race it you MUST! drive it some day. Hope you post ur progress with the rebuild. Always LOVED it's simple shape, second car was bone stock orange/white nose. My driving instructor at LRP (BMc) wrote in my logbook that it was a (limited potential FF). Kinda became my battle cry from then on. Under a minute 2 weeks later and ran in top 5 in the then larger fields of the day till I replaced it the the Windshadow. Let me know if you have questions/issues as you proceed. Be glad to help!

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 435

How come you won't race it. It was born to race. It is great to see the old cars out there doing their thing. I enjoy the hell out of my old Lotus. Anyway, do post pics as you go. Great find.
    Graham

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 319

If you don't race it, at least autocross it. Eldens make outstanding autocross cars: narrow and short wheel base is perfect for the venue.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 15

I have a Mk 10 with the short Mk 8 nose and as well as a the long Mk 10 nose.

If you are looking for parts try contacting Al Murray and Larry Haynes (user name Ich Racing). I know Al has body parts available and Larry has done a couple of restorations.

I'm doing what was suppose to be a winter/spring refresh, now looks like a spring/early summer refresh. I've been taking pictures to help put everything back together. The photos are here:
    https://jimbradley.smugmug.com/Cars/...2017-Re-and-Re

Jim

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Jim, Nice pictures. Keep up the good work.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    I have a Mk 10 with the short Mk 8 nose and as well as a the long Mk 10 nose.

If you are looking for parts try contacting Al Murray and Larry Haynes (user name Ich Racing). I know Al has body parts available and Larry has done a couple of restorations.

I'm doing what was suppose to be a winter/spring refresh, now looks like a spring/early summer refresh. I've been taking pictures to help put everything back together. The photos are here:
    https://jimbradley.smugmug.com/Cars/...2017-Re-and-Re

Jim

Default Some history

Thank you for your responses. I have been chuckling about the 'limited potential FF' story for a few days.

I learned more about the history of the car. This was the first PRH8 (i.e. Mk8) shipped to America. For a long time it was listed on the Elden register as destroyed at Road Atlanta in 1973, but was actually only involved in a normal racing incident and then not subsequently raced. The very early cars had different wheels front and and rear, which this car still has. The pcd of the front studs is 3.75" and the rear is 4", causing the wheels to be non interchangeable. Most cars were retrofitted with rear spacers drilled to 3.75" and so this one is possibly now unique. It was apparently viewed as a pain at the time but is now worth preserving as part of Elden history. The Scholar engine and Hewland gearbox are original although the rear cover on the gearbox is a Webster (presumably the result of another normal racing incident).

The plan is to store it until my current car project is done and then build it up as authentically as possible to preserve it rather than 'improve' it. An autocross would be the initial objective.

- Jeremy

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Elden Mk8 sold and shipped to England

To close the loop on this, the original owner's son and I decided to sell the Elden Mk8 rather than continue to store it for the day we might have time to put it together. It's on its way to England to be rebuilt and raced.

- Jeremy

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4XFAR View Post
    To close the loop on this, the original owner's son and I decided to sell the Elden Mk8 rather than continue to store it for the day we might have time to put it together. It's on its way to England to be rebuilt and raced.

- Jeremy
    I suppose it's better to have the car get rebuilt and remain active, rather than indefinitely stored and maybe sometime get around to doing something with it. But sadly it's yet another interesting and significant car which we will no longer see here stateside.

- Gerhard

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information