Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FE gen2

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by riderxracer View Post
    S Warning: As a famous engineer has previously stated on this forum, " Some of the below content is only my opinion and may only be worth as much as you are paying for it " Ok, here we go....
    Lee,
    You did a masterful job of accurately summarizing what Mike Davies told us while you and I were looking at the car, and during his talk at the party. It is worth many times what I paid for it.

That said, the "FE2" configuration does not yet exist. Mike was trying out new bits on an FE chassis, the big ones of which (motor and gearbox) will be implemented through the comp board process. The others were things he is testing and considering, some more likely to make it to the car than others. It's always a tradeoff among cost, performance and reliability when you get beyond the "must have" items resulting from dwindling availability. For example, all the bits on the motor are not finalized - the intake is a fabbed prototype, he doesn't know whether they will use the individual coil packs or a single, etc.

The car was a rolling test bed, not the first example of the new FE2. Mike was very clear that cost and schedule, as well as determining items to actually be implemented through the rules process are "Robey things." I communicated with Robey this week and asked him to put me on his list for a new motor and gearbox as soon as they were available (apparently he already had done so LOL) and he is planning to have them legal for use at the beginning of 2018.

Always amazes me the people that will come out on the forum, when someone has made a well intentioned effort to share news and information with his fellow competitors and friends, and self-righteously pontificate from their own ivory tower of perceived superior intellect, finding anything negative they can say with no possibility of contributing anything constructive. Slinging $hit is what us dumb country folk call it. To those people, I say "Read my signature line."

Thanks again to those of you that are taking action and engaging in constructive discussion to continue to improve the class that has been my passion for nearly 13 years.

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

2. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWinkelman View Post
    As the newest member of the class (haven’t even driven my car yet), my first thought was – WTF? I just spent a good chunk of change on a car, and now I need to spend another 50-60% on top of that in order to compete? Not pleased. But, I reached out to Mike Davies and he responded quickly. I don’t love all of his answers, but at least SCCA-E isn’t operating totally in a vacuum.

From what he wrote me, with some minor edits:

The plan is to have 2 classes FE / FE GEN2 ...the thought is Runoffs people / [new] kids can and should have the latest stuff (Mazda Road to Indy) the rest of the FE owners will have 2 or 3 years to update... the engine will be mandatory, gear box will not be mandatory. The ECU / throttle body will be a mandatory part of the engine. This is a needed change mostly because of engine parts [availability].

2012 Miata MZR 2.0 engine. As we ran it at the Sprints tuned on 93 pump gas, it is about 185 HP @ 6800 / 156 Ft-lbs max Torque... current 2.3L is 170 HP @ 6000 / 168 Ft-lbs max Torque.

The Elite gear box has been the black eye of the car since day one...over the past year we commissioned SADEV to retool their SL75 to match our gear case... for the FE this will be an option and not mandatory. It is the only way the ESR will live with uprated HP to run in the open P2 class. Gear box will be a 6-speed. Shifting at 6800/6900 rpm at the Sprints we didn’t use 6th gear at all....so it was a 5 SPD. SADEV makes 3.10 final and the Elite is 2.75; we can make it sort of close, but it will never be “same as”. RPM range of each engine will make it a little tough to have one gear stack, we could have a 2.0 stack and 2.3 stack....not sure - we need to test. This update is nearly a bolt on, new shift cable, pair of axles and rear wing mounts.

I’ve been testing [the throttle body] for about 16 - 18 months; it’s been on cars around the country during race weekends. We are out of the OEM throttle body and they have been out of production for maybe 7 or 8 years. We need to be able to control the manufacture of the throttle body, so I had a UK company build us a throttle body... its aluminum and has provision for idle control.

ECU is the same story, MBE 967 has been out of production for as long as I’ve worked at Enterprises. MBE will make them for us 5 at a time $1500 each paid in advance... that’s just not good.I have been testing with the PE ECU that we use on the SRF GEN3...it has lots of features the 967 doesn’t and cost less... the most useful one is closed loop fuel control... it will hold wide open A/F ratio +/- 1% every time, all the time. That makes all the cars more equal and no need to chase the fuel PSI to keep the engine in tune. Flat upshift will also be available when testing is done.

Body updates: We ran different front wing and flaps, also the Formula Ireland side pod floors... that was / is just a what-if... it changes the look of the car a little and adds some aero tuning capability.

Penske shocks: We ran an updated Penske shock on the car, this project was started for the ESR... same as the body stuff, it’s a what-if. Testing to see if this helps the car vs what it cost.

Now, for my personal comments.

The one concern I have is how this is going to be implemented, and what I’m going to HAVE to spend by WHEN. In the case of SRF3, the first announcement (that I was aware of) was in January 2013 – fully two years before the class officially was recognized. In 2013 there were a number of CSR demo cars running, and in 2014 I think the first production kits were shipped and people could run Regionals (or maybe Majors as an exhibition – I can’t remember). Also, with several hundred cars still running SCCA, there was a logical method to have two classes and a transition period. I opted to convert in the second of what was supposed to be a 3 year transition, and didn’t have to spend an extra dime in the first year to keep running SRF.

The SRF Gen3 package was $10k (including ECU)… I believe a current spare FE motor is just under $7k… no reason to expect the new one won’t be in this same ballpark. I’ve heard anywhere from $8k to $14k for the gearbox. Mike said, “less than 10% more than the elite gear box and much more reliable.” So, low end for updates is $15k, high could be $20k or even a bit higher. If I need to spend that this winter – I will seriously regret my recent purchase. Wings, floors, shocks… easily another $1000, $1000 and $3000. Now, if I can run for two or three years as-is, and run Majors against equal cars – then it’s much more palatable. I think that’s the main thing that needs to be addressed, and discussed, and preferably before we all see it in Fastrack, effective 1/1/2018!

FE participation numbers are decent, at least as far as SCCA goes in general, but they do seem to be concentrated in Northern and Southeast, a few in Northeast. Looking at points, only 46 drivers entered a Majors race last year but only 27 entered more than one weekend. Is the plan to FE be Majors & Regionals only, but no Runoffs? And only FE Gen2 to be Runoffs? I’m ok with that, because I don’t plan to enter the Runoffs, but I think the owners at large should be asked – not told. I certainly don’t speak for the other 40+ drivers, and potentially 100+ car owners (many apparently parked). If regional-only, I would not be in favor. If one class, and 2.3 are uncompetitive, I would not be in favor. Maybe the changes will entice another 20-40 drivers to enter races. That would be great, but I have no idea if that’s realistic, or whether the performance changes will be enough to attract drivers. It is apparently a very limited pool for club racing.

RE the gearbox seal question. FM has spec ratios and not sealed. Incorrect ratios are pretty easy to detect, by sound, by shift point, by data, and lastly by physical inspection. I suspect that the issue would be REM treatment, diff set-up to make a little less open, etc. Again – would like to know the pros & cons, and the cost vs benefit, of sealed versus not sealed. And we should get to weigh in with the facts. Initially, I don't know of a reason to seal it.

My first two cents…
    This is a very helpful post; thank you

Liked: 447

Some pics I took on Friday...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

5. The following 8 users liked this post:

Liked: 502

Cool inner CVs

Liked: 9

Default FE gen2

I would jump at the chance to change out the engine, trans and the ECU. Candidly, a majority of the problems are solved almost immediately.

Mike Davies - Amazing job! Not that I would doubt it but, thank goodness you are working on it.

Lee - Thanks for the update!

Keith Carter - Thanks for the pictures. You have now ruined my children's vacation fund for the next several years. Looks like it's camping in the back yard for a vacation.

As always, thanks for the info.

Zambo

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by Zambo View Post
    Keith Carter - Thanks for the pictures. You have now ruined my children's vacation fund for the next several years. Looks like it's camping in the back yard for a vacation.

You have a vacation fund? My kid's vacations are camping at the track!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 45

Same bell housing as existing car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked: 0

I feel the motor change is a good thing if we cant get more 2.3 motors. My motor is original to my chassis and I have run it for 8 seasons and it has about 70 event on it . As far as the gear box change , I really think it is a huge waste of $$. The gear box issues are not like there were when the car was first put into production. In 8 years of racing I have had 3 gear failures and 1 pin failure . This is not a lot in my opinion. I pull my box every weekend or every other weekend depending on time. I feel that we have good parts for this box and we all know how to work on it. I hate the idea of a sealed box because now when something breaks I am down for weeks vs. me pulling the box and ordering a part and fixing it all in one week. How many times have you pulled you box at the track to fix something. With a sealed unit you are done for the weekend or you need a second 12-15K gearbox as a spare. I feel that spending 20K upgrading a 25K car is not really money well spent. when we can spend 7K get a new motor and solve the real problem that we have which is no more 2.3 motors . It will kill this class. The class has been seeing more entries in the last year or two with a lot of new names out there. All this will do is stop the growth of the class and cause people to park there cars. If half the cars that are currently racing are parked for a season or two then we will have 20 cars out there running nationally?? This happened with SRF, Lots of cars were parked to save for the conversion. The difference is there are 400 SRF +/ - running . The reason that cars are parked now is not because of the gearbox or motor we have. its mostly because of time or money constrictions. I also don't think there should be two different gearboxes allowed to run , This is not a spec then anymore. Upgrade the motor and ECU leave the box alone and give us a tire that has some grip again!!! . That would be my vote not that I have one.

Joe Sammut
    FE#57 NER

Liked: 14

I think one main reason for changing transmissions is that the current one would not hold up well with the additional HP. Also, there would be electrical and/or mechanical means to prevent miss-shifts/gear damage (without paddle shift) which would greatly decrease the maintenance/inspection requirements.
    Andrew M. Cross, Jr.

Liked: 0

HP is not the problem Tq is what kills the Box. We are loosing 20 Lb of Tq if anything the gearbox will last longer if not the same

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Cool inner CVs
    I believe those are tri-pods, not CV's

Either way they are cool!
    Scott

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information