Liked: 1886

Default Bloodhound ready for first tests

Will be fun to watch their progress:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ack-debut.html

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 210

MAN! That 'thing' looks really, really big.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 58

Those tires must have some crazyspeed rating!

Liked: 31

I thought I read somewhere that suitable pneumatic tires can't be made, so ultra speed cars like this ride on solid metal wheels
    Ken Hoovler

If you go to the link provided, you can get all of the specs on the car.

The wheels are 3ft diameter solid aluminium, and will spin at over 10,000 rpm at top speed.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

The Kolb Racing partial streamlined that I had originally done much of the design and fabrication on has since had its front wheel and tire replaced by a solid aluminum wheel. This is a 125cc "motorcycle" that we built and subsequently raised the record from 133mph to 150+mph. Fastest one way 155mph.
    The idea of a solid wheel still freaks me out because I assume the tire, being somewhat compliant, can absorb some of the small bumps that might "suspend" the wheel in the air at higher speeds without an extremely sophisticated suspension.
    As anyone who's " lost the front" on a bike will attest to there's almost never good news.
    Anyone have any input on how those solid wheels would handle the small but significant undulations on the salt.
    The wheel and tire were replaced for packaging purposes and aero primary.

Liked: 141

Rather shattered to find that prime sponsor is Geely Automotive.

Liked: 356

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by dereklola View Post
    Rather shattered to find that prime sponsor is Geely Automotive.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherBernard View Post
    The idea of a solid wheel still freaks me out because I assume the tire, being somewhat compliant, can absorb some of the small bumps that might "suspend" the wheel in the air at higher speeds without an extremely sophisticated suspension.
    The simple matter is that a fabricated tire just cannot withstand the centrifugal forces that it will see at 10000 rpm - even with a solid alu wheel, it will grow substantially and be stressed to very near its yield point.

Try reading the stories in the link to their search for the near-perfect surface and the 3D laser mapping they did for the data gathering necessary for the suspension design. The ideal surface actually is NOT rock-hard.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    If you go to the link provided, you can get all of the specs on the car.

The wheels are 3ft diameter solid aluminium, and will spin at over 10,000 rpm at top speed.

I saw that. 35-ish inch diameter wheels weighing 231# each. 231# metal disc 35" diameter spinning 10,000 rpms....

Liked: 7

Managed to get 10 tickets last year to take some if my team to the Bloodhound workshop here in Bristol UK and have just bought tickets for the 2nd day of 200mph jet engine only testing locally at Newquay Airport 15 miles up the road in October.

Close up the car is awsome, a Cosworth powered oxidiser pump for the rocket. They had 4-5 Cosworths at the Workshop just lying around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

Sorry guys, but this is not an automobile or a race car of any kind. Just an old farts opinion
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Sorry guys, but this is not an automobile or a race car of any kind. Just an old farts opinion

This coming from somebody who has likely defended the F440/F500/F600 type race cars for decades as to what makes a race car a race car....

I'd suggest the fact that it has 4 wheels and races on land, makes it a race car/automobile.

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 31

I can see the point Mr. Novak is making, this thing is not "wheel driven" rather it is a rocket with wheels, or a wingless aircraft, relying on propulsion from a stream of gas.

That's why there are so many different land speed classes, I'm certain there is a different record for wheel driven LSRs.
    Ken Hoovler

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

This is a ground hugging rocket, and the key to success is retaining the ground hugging part.

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Personally, I could care less what classification it is given - it is still a marvelous wheeled endeavour these guys are attempting. There seem to be very few people left in the world who are willing to push the boundaries any more.

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by killerken53 View Post
    That's why there are so many different land speed classes, I'm certain there is a different record for wheel driven LSRs.
    Yes, there are. Yes, there is. The SCTA and BNI are probably the only racing sanctioning bodies with more classes than SCCA

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 195

Default Ground Hugging rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Licked Racing View Post
    This is a ground hugging rocket, and the key to success is retaining the ground hugging part.
    Not exactly a new development, this is the way it has been since Arfons, Breedlove and Green began trading the record back and forth starting in 1963.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 195

Default Goerge Poteet - Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by killerken53 View Post
    I can see the point Mr. Novak is making, this thing is not "wheel driven" rather it is a rocket with wheels, or a wingless aircraft, relying on propulsion from a stream of gas.

Yep held by George Poteet in Speed Demon - which was subsequently crashed at speed with a new car built.

Quote Originally Posted by hdsporty1988 View Post
    Not exactly a new development, this is the way it has been since Arfons, Breedlove and Green began trading the record back and forth starting in 1963.
    Yea, but the shock wave when they hit the sound barrier makes the ride a whole different beast, and the aero once above the sound barrier is way different as well.

Banned

Yea, but the shock wave when they hit the sound barrier makes the ride a whole different beast, and the aero once above the sound barrier is way different as well.
    The speed of sound was broken on the ground about 20 years ago....

Yes, Green did, very briefly, and he left the ground while doing so. Add another 300 or so mph to go to get to where they are aiming, and the complexity just rose geometrically.

Banned

Yes, Green did, very briefly, and he left the ground while doing so. Add another 300 or so mph to go to get to where they are aiming, and the complexity just rose geometrically.

Understood. If it was easy somebody would have gone faster in the last couple of decades. I was just mentioning that the sound barrier/shockwave thing on the ground wasn't an unknown. Like way back when they didn't know what would happen if you went a mile a minute

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 927

Ask Craig Breedlove about the shockwave thing. He did a donut at Mach 1 when trying for the record in the last Spirit of America. Shockwave was visible and lifted the nose enough to cause loss of control. What a ride.

Would love to see in car footage of that.

What the Bloodhound guys are shooting for is nothing short of a monumental achievement.

While Green broke the barrier, it was a "just barely" breaking where he rode the shock wave for a couple hundred yards. What will be entirely new is riding the car PAST the shock wave, where no one yet knows what will happen. This is entirely new territory.

Banned

While Green broke the barrier, it was a "just barely" breaking where he rode the shock wave for a couple hundred yards. What will be entirely new is riding the car PAST the shock wave, where no one yet knows what will happen. This is entirely new territory.

Well then he needs some hydraulic actuated flight surfaces that he can engage should it take flight so he can fly the thing back to a safe landing

Breedlove never hit mach 1 - he was about 70 or so mph shy when he crashed ( at about 675 mph)

"he needs some hydraulic actuated flight surfaces"

If it were me, I'd probably want some as well!

Liked: 757

If it were me, I'd be standing well back watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    This coming from somebody who has likely defended the F440/F500/F600 type race cars for decades as to what makes a race car a race car....

I'd suggest the fact that it has 4 wheels and races on land, makes it a race car/automobile.
    your right Daryl, and best of all is that they are 2 seconds a lap faster than FF cars at less than 1/3 the cost.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    your right Daryl, and best of all is that they are 2 seconds a lap faster than FF cars at less than 1/3 the cost.

Agreed. Why they aren't flocking to the class in droves is beyond me (best performance to value ratio in SCCA in my opinion). I'm thinking there is a significant hurdle to overcome in what people decide makes a race car a race car.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Agreed. Why they aren't flocking to the class in droves is beyond me (best performance to value ratio in SCCA in my opinion). I'm thinking there is a significant hurdle to overcome in what people decide makes a race car a race car.

I totally agree Daryl. When we first proposed the class I wrote a very simple set of rules that would have kept the cost very low but the cars would have been a separate class. The CRB shot it down a told me that I MUST fit it into f500. Oh well.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 927

He was close enough, but I stand corrected.

Breedlove never hit mach 1 - he was about 70 or so mph shy when he crashed ( at about 675 mph)

"he needs some hydraulic actuated flight surfaces"

Thread Information