Liked: 23

Default Cam & Pawl versus Salisbury diff in LG 500/600

Wondering whether anyone has had experience with the two different types of differential. I have both and think for a non-racing (exhibition only) gearbox the Salisbury would be adequate. I'm not ever going to stress it like a vintage CanAm car, just in Indy exhibition runs. I know the cam & pawl is used in the high horsepower race applications and is touted by Carroll Smith in "Prepare to Win" but says almost nothing about the Salisbury or clutch type. Thanks

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by pakracer View Post
    Wondering whether anyone has had experience with the two different types of differential. I have both and think for a non-racing (exhibition only) gearbox the Salisbury would be adequate. I'm not ever going to stress it like a vintage CanAm car, just in Indy exhibition runs. I know the cam & pawl is used in the high horsepower race applications and is touted by Carroll Smith in "Prepare to Win" but says almost nothing about the Salisbury or clutch type. Thanks
    What ramp angles do you have on the Salisbury diff. And how many active clutch faces do you have?

Decades ago the team worked for did a lot of diff work on the various diff options for the Lola T97. The Cam and Pawl was never used but we did use the Salisbury a lot and with many different ramp configurations.

In short, the best combination seemed to be minimal locking on acceleration and a lot of locking on lift throttle, coast side of the ramp.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1880

The cam&pawl is used by almost no one nowadays - it cannot be adjusted, and wears out fairly quickly.

The Salisbury is a much more versatile diff in that you can tune it separately for on-throttle, off-throttle, and neutral-throttle. Depending on the manufacturer, it can be very low maintenance ( it depends on various metal treatments of the clutches). The Salisbury ( ramp and clutch) style differential is the most widely used for racing purposes around the world.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 268

Default Diffs

When the cam and pawls were mostly used nearly every weekend you replaced sections of the diff, chiclets one weekend, outer the next, inner the next. It was not too expensive then but now it's nuts. These worked only when nearly everything was new and then marginally. As they wore you got more and more oversteer on throttle but the good news is that it wasn't dramatic.

Default Thanks

Thanks, My questions were answered and I know which way to go.

Default Looking for Hewland part # DGB214 Differential end plate

Thanks for all the info-- I have another Salisbury diff that is almost complete, just missing the end plate ( see hewland manual for DG300) if anyone has a spare, would buy or trade for other Salisbury clutches and internal parts. Also lots of DG-B parts and gears.

Thread Information