Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 341

First, thanks for the dropbox version of this. I installed it and I like it a lot. Finally a car that handles more like I would expect. It could be my setup (I am on an old Momo wheel) but even the Skippy car is more than two handfuls to drive. The only element I do not find very real is the amount of trail braking needed. Do the 2 litre cars really drive like that? In the FF, if I was that hard on the brakes at turn in, I would be viewing the cars behind me very clearly very quickly. I am more inclined to brake hard in a straight line and get back in the power just after turn in to get the weight transfer to stick the back end. I cannot imagine that the downforce, particularly in a slow corner, can overcome the huge weight transfer of braking.

Okay, the other reason I like this mod is it has the recent drivers. This includes Dakota Dickerson. I have raced with Dakota. To be more precise, I was on the track when Dakota was also on the track and someone threw a green. From that point it was more driving, watching, and wondering, "how the *&%$ is he that fast?" I like the indycar mod for the similar reasons. It has Charlie Kimbal's car. I started in karts when he was a junior driver running at the club and regional level. I also worked corner's for the club and learned a lot just watching him in his pre-teen years.

The other thing those two have in common is that they are two of the nicest people you will ever meet. After an unfortunate incident that left my Swift with only three corners, while I went to the principal's office, Dakota volunteered to load my car on the trailer along with a bunch of other FF drivers and crew. I never asked, he just jumped in and did it. Was gone before I could get back and say thanks.

If you set up an Apexspeed league with this mod, count me in.

Eric Little

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Little View Post
    First, thanks for the dropbox version of this.
    You're welcome! I assumed I wasn't the only one that would be interested in it. Now, in exchange, I'd like some setup help. I am ALL OVER THE PLACE in this car, and I assume it's because the base setup is bad.

I have yet to play with the car setup. By the way, in the USF2000 series is it a fixed ratio gear box? The simulator will not allow me to change ratios and they are way off.

The only change I have made thus far is to reduce the the steering in the general tab to match my wheel. My wheel turns 270 deegrees total. If you leave it up in the 400+ range then every degree you turn the wheel is a multiple of that. If I forget to do this, the car is impossible to drive.

The only other change I have made is with the game itself. The setup for graphics that comes with it resulted in a huge lag between my input on the wheel and when the car actually moved. It was completely undriveable. I would spin on a long straight. After reading up on this, I did what everything I read told me not to do (because what they said to do was not working). I set the video to sync with GPU. Went from totally undriveable to operating mostly like the original rFactor.

Eric Little

Liked: 91

I have weird problems. I was driving Silverstone last night, and near the ends of the straights, the car would be wild, it would pull under braking. (In a straight line!), and generally wander all over the place. I assumed it was the stock setup of the car. Might be the stock setup of the game. I'll check that.

Sync with GPU you say. Sounds like a good place to start.

Try this, get to the car in the garage. Quickly move the steering wheel one way or the other while watching the screen (I found it easier to spot if I only moved the wheel from center to one side full lock. Back and forth is harder to spot as the eye sees motion and can confuse direction). See if there is a lag between when you move and when the screen shows something. For mine it was noticable in this circumstance but not really noticable on the track.

I actually owned rFactor2 about 2 years ago. Had the same problem at that time but thought it was the controller. Contacted ISI and they suggested I use their forums to diagnose the problem. What a business model. When there are problems, let the users solve them. Wish I could sucessfully implement such a model. I ended up uninstalling the game and getting a refund since no one could tell me what was going on.

When the USF2000 mod came up, I had to try again. I hoped they had fixed the problem (they hadn't). It was only by chance that I found the lag issue and at that I only got the fix by trying something that everyone said not to do. Hopefully it will help you too.

Eric Little

Senior Member SilverCarbir_FC26's Avatar
    Liked: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Little View Post
    First, thanks for the dropbox version of this. I installed it and I like it a lot. Finally a car that handles more like I would expect. It could be my setup (I am on an old Momo wheel) but even the Skippy car is more than two handfuls to drive. The only element I do not find very real is the amount of trail braking needed. Do the 2 litre cars really drive like that? In the FF, if I was that hard on the brakes at turn in, I would be viewing the cars behind me very clearly very quickly. I am more inclined to brake hard in a straight line and get back in the power just after turn in to get the weight transfer to stick the back end. I cannot imagine that the downforce, particularly in a slow corner, can overcome the huge weight transfer of braking.

Okay, the other reason I like this mod is it has the recent drivers. This includes Dakota Dickerson. I have raced with Dakota. To be more precise, I was on the track when Dakota was also on the track and someone threw a green. From that point it was more driving, watching, and wondering, "how the *&%$ is he that fast?" I like the indycar mod for the similar reasons. It has Charlie Kimbal's car. I started in karts when he was a junior driver running at the club and regional level. I also worked corner's for the club and learned a lot just watching him in his pre-teen years.

The other thing those two have in common is that they are two of the nicest people you will ever meet. After an unfortunate incident that left my Swift with only three corners, while I went to the principal's office, Dakota volunteered to load my car on the trailer along with a bunch of other FF drivers and crew. I never asked, he just jumped in and did it. Was gone before I could get back and say thanks.

If you set up an Apexspeed league with this mod, count me in.

Eric Little
    It's ridiculous at how much trail braking is needed with this car. In real life I have the braking and down shifting done and I am back on throttle at or slightly before the apex. The rear end does slide around a little but not nearly as much as whats done in the sim. Its kind of frustrating but hey its good enough for a sim and it will only get better with more feed back!
    Because racecar...

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Guess I am out of the series as i just realized its in the middle of the afternoon!

Anyone racing at 2:30!?? I won't be able to make any races either, but it'll be interesting to post hotlaps with those guys. Some have a couple hundred laps on the server already! Not sure where I would pick up two seconds though... I wonder what corners they're cutting!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Keith,

I have not looked at their lap times but just with my own testing, I am finding that stiffer is faster. I have yet to mess with aero but going full still on springs (fronts 100 lbs less than rear), almost full stiff on shocks (1 to 2 clicks off full) and the rear sway full stiff with the front at 3 and the car is about 1 second per minute of lap time faster. It does not drive much differently in terms of balance. It has a bit less oversteer but not much. Mainly, it just seems to get more overall grip with the suspension stiff.

Will be fun to play with setups more but there is a starting point for you to try if you haven't already.

Note: If you use this advice and set up a league, then you owe me a 1 second per lap head start.

Eric Little

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

With the latest DX11 update to rF2, here is an unedited screen cap of the USF2000 mod. It's getting harder to even tell it's a sim!

2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

12. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 1417

Wow.

Anyone have a PC and a wheel I can borrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Wow.

Anyone have a PC and a wheel I can borrow?

Not having a wheel never seemed to stop Jacques from beating up on us. I speculate he did not use one because there was no adapter to hook it up to his smart phone which also takes care of the PC problem.

Eric (still waiting for my second per lap head start) Little

Last I chatted with Jacques (Captain Keyboard), he gave his wheel to Goodwill because he never used it.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information