Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default numbers/vinyl, etc removal

Can anyone suggest a solvent/liquid method etc., that would help in the removal of numbers/decals and other glued vinyl that has been sunbaked for years on the fiberglass substrate. Yes, I know about using a hair dryer (on hot) to help peal the numbers off, but these decals are bad/tough to remove. Thanks in advance.

Liked: 80

Default wd 40?

it was developed as a solvent.

of course you would have to clean up the wd.

if it works i'll provide a an account number to which you can contribute.

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by marc sproule View Post
    it was developed as a solvent.

of course you would have to clean up the wd.

if it works i'll provide a an account number to which you can contribute.

WD40 is just stoddard solvent (kerosene) and light turbine oil. Any oil that remains causes fisheyes in the new paint.

I use gasoline or kerosene in a squeeze bottle and a paper towel.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 141

For the stuff that been on for twenty years, acetone and scotchbrite.

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 16

Geez that sounds like paint remover to me
    try Prep Sol (grease and wax remover) or any solvent used on bare surfaces before painting, in fact this is great to clean all the pollution off your car before waxing but after washing.

Liked: 1417

Heat gun makes it all easy. Clean any remaining residue with WD40.

EDIT: The 3M decal remover wheel is also pretty wicked if you have one. Works great on unwanted pinstripess.

Liked: 854

Best thing I've found for removing the residue is PAINT THINNER. Walmart - about $9/gal.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 29

Default Old decal removal

After reconditioning several older motorhomes with old, dry, and cracked graphics I've had a lot of experience removing acres of these things. The best way by far is a "decal eraser". When I heard of this I though it sounded crazy, but I bought one and it was a miracle. I was told about it by my friend who runs a body shop and he said they used them all the time. It looks like a rubber wheel about 4" in diameter and about 5/8" wide. You put it in a drill (old fashioned plug-in-the-wall) and just hold it against the vinyl and it just "erases" it. It takes a drill with good Torque and variable speed. I'm talking Dewalt, not Harbor Freight. You can get the wheels from Amazon or any body shop supply source.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Whe.../dp/B00063VT0G

There are good ones (3M, expensive) and cheaper knock-offs, and if you can find the cheap ones they seem to work almost as well as the good ones.
    You will be amazed, very quick and absolutely no damage to the substrate (paint or gel coat).
    Mike M.

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 296

Just burn the car and get a new one, it will be easier. That said, that wheel device looks nifty and it presumably avoids the many health and safety issues that other methods present.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 7

Heat and a plastic scraper to remove the vinyl.

Soak the area with goo-gone. A combination of letting it sit, and rubbing it off with a rag seems to work. Direct sunlight helps. Hasn't seemed to harm the paint on the trailer/car I have done.

The orange smell on my hands drives me nuts thou.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 711

For removing the adhesive residue, Goo Gone works well, but I've had great results with Right Stuff:
    https://www.amazon.com/Right-Solvent...trus+degreaser

My second choice is this product:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/16888956?...&wl13=&veh=sem

Neither have had a negative effect on repainting.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

I like goo gone too....

http://www.osh.com/Osh-Categories/Ho...nces/p/6035356

It removes old wheel weight sticky stuff much better than a lot of things, but it can remove paint as well....

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

The decal eraser was developed 20 + years ago when every truck and car made has taped on Body Side Moldings.

It was made to remove the tape residue left behind when the BSM had to be pried off to replace it.

Used properly it does not even mark the paint I am talking 3M one. Can't speak for the cheap ones.

I have changed more than a few BSM's in the old days when I was working in the industry.

Liked: 530

I'll 3rd GOO GONE. I keep a bottle in the trailer - it's great for removing rubber marks as well from flying rubber. basically a citrus based product. no harm to paint in my experience.

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 16

Thanks Jorma, I forgot all about these wheels, I bought one today not the 3M but a cheap version at the Body shop suppliers
    Great for removing the black sticky sh.. left on my wheels after removing the weights
    they call them Caramel Wheels here and when I asked why, they said smell it, yum !
    Awesome !

Liked: 123

Back in the day I would go to a body works supply store and buy a two part set of 3M sprays designed to remove the fake wood plastic that they put on station wagons to make them into "woodies". One part dissolved the plastic and it came off easy, the next part took off the adhesive residue. Worked real well, but did nothing for the mis-matched faded/not faded paint.

Liked: 130

X4 on the rubber wheel. I used that all the time when I worked in the body shops.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information