Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

I am starting club racing in the Washington DC region. Given my age, finite budget, hobbyist ambitions, I am thinking in terms of Club Ford. My plan at the moment is to look for a local car, currently/recently competing, that is complete and ready to race. I doubt that I shall trade up in a couple of years.

I see Crossles, Van Diemens, and Zinks in the regional entry lists. Do folks have any sense of whether there are particular makers/models which would be reasonably competitive, maintainable, and economical for a club racer over a span of years?

Thanks for your thoughts,

John Nesbitt
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 0

Hi John,
    Welcome! - will you be coming out to the
    MARRS race this weekend? I don't know who all
    will be there as far as FF or CF, but I'll be
    there, and I know that Rob Davis has registered.
    If you do come out, please stop by and say "hi"
    I'll be paddocked at the big green "GT Classics"
    trailer, probably near the turn 10 corner of
    the paddock as you come in.

John

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Crossle, Van Diemen and Zink are all good names. More importantly, there is a good supply of spares available. The DC Region may be expanding the CF roster to allow more cars in. If this occurs, I'd give close consideration to a Reynard or Swift. Again, they have ample spare parts available, and have proven to be excellent cars.

They are racing at Summit Point this weekend, and I'd suggest you chat with Chuck Van Nostrand, the CF drivers rep. He's a good man, and he'll be able to fill you in on the latest in the region.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

My biggest suggestion is to go to the track and talk to these guys. Let their experience help you avoid newbie problems. I can't tell you how much the experienced guys in my region have helped me! Great group.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 73

Unfortunately this weekend won't be a good one to meet alot of CF people at Summit Point. I don't think any CFs are going to be there.
    This forum remains a great place to meet and share ideas and information.
    I drive a Zink and have well over a hundred races with only 5 ever DNFs, and only 2 were mechanical.

Knocking on wood.
    JD
    Zink Z10

Contributing Member

Nice to see a new open wheel driver -- you'll find the FF bunch to be a friendly / helpful bunch of racers.

For a glimpse at the chassis that are begin run in NEDiv, check out the New England Challenge (NEC) final points standings for 2003 at:

http://www.users.fast.net/~nescca/necstand.htm

The NEC series saw 43 different drivers participate in at least one event in 2003 and, as I count them, there are at least 15 different Club Ford chassis being raced this year.

Look forward to seeing you on the track in '04

Bob:

Can you please explain the difference between NCF and CF in the New England Challenge Series?

Thanks.
    Craig Jones

Contributing Member

Simple --- CF is Club Ford with no spec tire rule - - NCF is Club Ford with the NARRC (North Atlantic Road Racing Championship) tire rule (GY600/Hoosier60).

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

John,

There is no NCF in the DC region. As I mentioned, the CF rules may have some major changes over this winter, so keep in contact with Chuck Van Nostrand, the CF driver's rep.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information