Liked: 105

Default New scales- hard wired or Bluetooth?

I am about to pull the plug and buy new Longacre scales. Does anyone have experience with the wireless scales and have an opinion as to whether they are worth the extra money and do they function reliably?
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Liked: 282

They are repeatable. Worth the money? Your call.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 77

Default Scales

I used to use Longacre Kart scales for my FF. Way cheaper. Use the extra $$ for coaching.
    Hybels

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

In my opinion, the extra functionality they work into the app is useless and won't replace your setup notes (if that is important). Not having the wires is nice, but not a deal breaker.

Liked: 141

Why would you want to untangle cords every time. Then plug the cord into the correct scale. Trip over cord or crush with jack. Then try to position the read out while sitting in car as you try to scale it yourself. I don't think bluetooth would change scale reading.

Thanks guys all good points. Leaning towards wireless mainly for convenience.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Why would you want to untangle cords every time. Then plug the cord into the correct scale. Trip over cord or crush with jack. Then try to position the read out while sitting in car as you try to scale it yourself. I don't think bluetooth would change scale reading.
    To save a bunch of money! It depends on whether you like buying whizzy bits or paying entry fees. I would go wireless for the same or a little more, unquestionably, but I have not seen them for "a little more".
    Last edited by problemchild; 03.26.17 at 7:40 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Yeah Greg its not that much more money for wireless. I was more concerned with reliability and longevity.
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    That's what employees are for. And if you don't have employees, then just put the cords away in an organized manner like the rest of us poor people.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

So, with wired you need to get the cords out, lay the wires, plug them in.

With wireless, you need to start the day before and charge everything.
    Then once the scales are set you start futzing with the app.

Hmm. Not pairing, delete, reset, try again, and again...

Okay, 10 minutes later you get it paired, the the app says - updating. Another few minutes....

I'm in the IT field. I will only choose wireless when necessary. I can't see how the wires are such a big deal when it is less than 5 minutes (a small fraction of the time) to setup scales correctly.

And like romoman says, you're still going to use paper....

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 110

Default Easier than you think

I would beg to differ. I have an Intercomp wireless unit that has its own 'headset'. I have not charged the actual scales in 4 years; I have never ever had a pairing connectivity issue. I simply turn each scale on and turn on the box. Perfect every time.

Yes we can all claim to be experts in cable management and never tangle them or run over them. Good for you. I am not that careful because I am typically concentrating on the task at hand (i.e. the setup of the car). I also have friends that borrow stuff. They are less careful than me. And before I bought my unit, the scales I borrowed would always have wire problems.

If I had my time over, I would always buy wireless scales. If you choose to add the complexity of using your phone with bluetooth (?why; they come with a monitor box that is at least as good as the app), then congratulations.

Thanks again everyone who replied. Mark you make excellent practical points, exactly what I was looking for! Connectivity hassles with the wireless scales are my biggest concerns. I have the same issue with my car and phone on occasion. Not willing to add that to my race weekends. It sounds like a non event. The other reservation I had was whether the scales and communication hardware/ antennae etc. would stand up to the wear and tear of travel, set up, travel cycles. Again thanks for the great input!
    Hartley MacDonald
    2006 Van Dieman RF06

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar

Just looking a bit sideways whohoo! both feet in...

But, have you considered postal scales? Check the deals at Amazon, etc. Bet you'll find something that is more than functional - and maybe 1/2 the price of "real" Race Gear.

Cheers - Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information