Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Default Fire Bottle Expiration Date?

I removed my fire bottle the other day and noticed it was manufactured in 1996. I've read a few threads on here about bottles having an age limit, is that manufacture based or a general limit? I don't see anything stamped on my bottle about it.

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Elwell View Post
    I removed my fire bottle the other day and noticed it was manufactured in 1996. I've read a few threads on here about bottles having an age limit, is that manufacture based or a general limit? I don't see anything stamped on my bottle about it.
    Should be a sticker on it which has holes punched for month and year.

I hadn't checked mine in years either and it was well past its date, which Firebottle says 6 years from manufacture. I have one of those small, stubby ones which they no longer make. So they took mine back and serviced/recharged it for under $200 shipped back to me. I would suggest you contact them, they were very easy to deal with in my experience.

http://www.firebottleracing.com/rece...on-recharging/
    -Nick

Liked: 996

The fire bottles should be serviced every two years. While the gauge may show that there is a good charge the orifices can corrode and clog rendering the units useless. I just had mine serviced when I realized this was a potential issue. It was an SPA AFFF unit that was serviced at the Indy shop. Cost was under $100. Cheap insurance. Remember that the Halon units are no longer being manufactured and have been out of production since 1994 because it was a CFC. Halon has not been allowed in FIA homologated systems since 1997 and SFI as of 2008. Being aware of all of this I would not get in a car with an old Halon unit.

SPA does offer a nice Halon replacement using 3M NOVEC 1230. Dan List at SPA can certainly give you more detailed information than me; his number is 317-271-7941.

Quote Originally Posted by John LaRue View Post
    The fire bottles should be serviced every two years. While the gauge may show that there is a good charge the orifices can corrode and clog rendering the units useless. I just had mine serviced when I realized this was a potential issue. It was an SPA AFFF unit that was serviced at the Indy shop. Cost was under $100. Cheap insurance. Remember that the Halon units are no longer being manufactured and have been out of production since 1994 because it was a CFC. Halon has not been allowed in FIA homologated systems since 1997 and SFI as of 2008. Being aware of all of this I would not get in a car with an old Halon unit.

SPA does offer a nice Halon replacement using 3M NOVEC 1230. Dan List at SPA can certainly give you more detailed information than me; his number is 317-271-7941.
    I've already decided to replace my old Halon system with a new Novec system, for most of the reasons you listed. This is the Novec one I'm considering (http://www.spatechnique.com/store/it...D=975&catID=30). I activated my system before removing it, just to see if it still worked. Some Halon came out of the cockpit nozzle but nothing came out of the nozzle pointed at the engine. It was short, weak blasts, I doubt it would have helped much in a fire.

My question is more along the lines of, is my old bottle worth selling to someone that can get some use out of it? The bottle is 21 years old so I'm not sure if it can still be serviced and recharged at that age.

Liked: 41

Limit is manufactured based. Lifeline bottles cannot be serviced after 10 years.
    http://lifeline-fire.com/affffirebot...ification.aspx

I wouldn't sell it without having the buyer sign a liability release.

However, it might make a cool desk lamp...

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by NPalacioM3 View Post
    So they took mine back and serviced/recharged it for under $200 shipped back to me. I would suggest you contact them, they were very easy to deal with in my experience.
    PLEASE be aware that shipping these is illegal and must be done VERY DISCRETELY (thank the idiots at Phoenix Fire Systems for this mess)
    Contact the manufacturer and discuss the options / costs before deciding.

Glenn

Liked: 34

Default bottle size

I am also looking to replace my on-board fire system. I currently have the "stubby" bottle- 5.5 lbs Halon 1211. It measures 4.75" X 9.5" and fits under the front of the seat in my DB1. It seems the AFFF and Novec units are either too long in the slim design or too fat in the shorter versions rendering them a non-desirable option.

Chris the system you referenced measures 13.75" long. That is too long to fit between my frame rails. Will that fit in your car?

This size would work BUT it is not certified. Does SCCA require SFI or FIA certification?
    http://www.spatechnique.com/store/itemList.cfm?catID=30

Any suggestions?

Liked: 956

Dave,

Contact Safecraft, they are local. TroyT said they furnished him a compact bottle to fit his VanDieman. I am replacing the 1986 Phoenix system in my Crossle. Talk to Tyler McQuarrie.

SCCA requires SFI certs as a minimum.

https://safecraft.com/shop/

https://safecraft.com/wp-content/doc...hts_170105.pdf
    Last edited by DanW; 03.22.17 at 5:15 PM. Reason: Added dimensions and weights page
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default safecraft

Dave,
    I replaced the one in the db6 with a model LT with FE36 agent. closest thing I could find to the size of the alum swift bottle.
    john

Default this fits BUT

Talked with Bob @ Pegasus. He can hook me (or you) up with a SPAex M5 Novec 1230 for a little over $800+shipping. BUT it is not yet certified by SFI or FIA. They are working on that aspect.

"The 5lb. bottle is perfect for any SCCA car registered prior to 01 January 2009, and great for vintage retrofits, or any vehicle that does NOT require an FIA or SFI certified system." from SPA site

http://www.spatechnique.com/store/it...=1007&catID=30

Quote Originally Posted by Dave SanF 50 View Post
    I am also looking to replace my on-board fire system. I currently have the "stubby" bottle- 5.5 lbs Halon 1211. It measures 4.75" X 9.5" and fits under the front of the seat in my DB1. It seems the AFFF and Novec units are either too long in the slim design or too fat in the shorter versions rendering them a non-desirable option.

Chris the system you referenced measures 13.75" long. That is too long to fit between my frame rails. Will that fit in your car?

This size would work BUT it is not certified. Does SCCA require SFI or FIA certification?
    http://www.spatechnique.com/store/itemList.cfm?catID=30

Any suggestions?
    Dave,

I have 15" between the frame rails, so the system I referenced will easily fit. I have a Womer FV.

Thanks John for your suggestion. Chris, I'm glad it fits your car.

Thread Information