Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default Solo classification question

Ran my Formula First (FST)at the Auto-x meet last weekend with with an engineering student that I work with driving for me. We had fun getting issues sorted out and the tires dialed in a bit. We were very well received and drew a lot of attention from other young engineers in attendance.

First off while skimming through this form i see a lot of FF cars and competitors obviously, are there any other FST here on Apex running autocross?

Classification
    I have just reviewed the Solo rules for formula cars and it seems to basically boil down to one sentence, "CM and CF must conform to current year Club Racing GCR". At that event I registered as C mod I assume that is the same as CM but not sure that is the right class for this car.
    Any insight and advice is appreciated.

Liked: 309

Default 2017 Solo Rules...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Soule View Post
    Any insight and advice is appreciated.
    Jeremy,

Happy to hear you had an enjoyable experience. I have not seen any other FST running Solo.

As to where FST runs in Solo, CM is the correct class.

Note that Section 18 - Modified Category of the 2017 Solo Cars and Rules provides a summary regarding Solo formula car classing:
    18.3 FORMULA CARS
    Single-seat, open-wheeled cars are referred to as Formula cars and are as signed to Modified classes B (BM), C (CM), and F (FM)....CM and FM cars must conform to the current year Club Racing GCR except Solo® Vee and Formula 440/500 vehicles which are allowed the additional modifications and exceptions listed in Appendix A.
    Page 203 of the 2/27/17 version of Appendix A - Automobile Classes, Modified Class C (CM) actually lists FV and FST:
    B. Other Club Racing GCR-compliant Formula Cars
    1. Formula Vee (FV)
    2. Formula First (FST)
    Take care,
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 80

I find this very interesting, The FV has what a 1300cc engine and maybe I just guessing here but the FST has a 1500 to a 1600 engine so on the same CC's as the Formula Ford and the FST has to run the FF tires right? and what's their weight W/driver? I may find One for Rocco in the next year or 2 to get things started for Rocco and Nina.

I'm not going to throw them in a FF to start autocross, this is my 30th year and I have a good 3 to 5 years of good speed left...maybe

Ben

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Yes Ben it seems to me Formula First FST with it's 1600cc pushrod motor (only a single barrel carb though) would be a good less expensive place to start C-mod autocross before moving up to a FF car.

But that saying couldn't one just switch classes to Solo Vee add carbs and a bigger motor to the FST

Jeremy,

Well just looked into the GCR and no you can't do any of that.

I'm thinking that unless the VW has gut-wrenching torque and that can rev like no other engine and the 1 barrel CC restrictive carburetor could be it's down side, and maybe remove the Formula First 32 mm restrictor plate.

So unless the solo rules over the GCR give you some love this would be a great way start out in SOLO but not the to a great end, meaning the FF look faster on paper, but who I'm I, I love odd cars and win with them.

Ben
    Last edited by CM/FFdriver; 03.09.17 at 2:18 PM. Reason: new info

Ok, so have a update, if I'm reading it right from the Solo rules you can put 2 carb's on the Formula First FST and drop your cars weight down to 1000lbs.

It sounds like a FV competitor help write the FV rules for Solo FMPOV.

and it looked like the FV's had larger tire than the FF's but I didn't go look, so yes they have given the FV's some love in CM.

Ben

Liked: 310

Ben, the Solo Vees are very different from the Formula First. Putting twin carbs on the stock First engine probably won't yield much hp. You would need the higher compression, bigger valves and a racing cam Solo Vees are allowed. I don't know how big your kids are, but getting to 1000 lbs can be expensive. The VW disc brakes are quite heavy. Many current Solo Vees are running dune buggy brakes. Some have limited slip and all have been re-geared. Solo Vees are allowed any tire and wheel.

The First is a great car to have you kids learn in. Just replace the Hoosier R60 compound tires with R25 compound tires. Turning a First into a Solo Vee can be very expensive and you end up with a car that will be very hard to sell. The First should retain its value.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information