Liked: 35

For Sale 1992 Galmer Indy Car - ex Danny Sullivan

This Galmer is one of only four cars built for the Kraco team when they merged with Rick Galles' team. Designed by Alan Mertens and built in the UK. The car was purchased directly from Kraco in Compton, California. It is complete except for the ECU which was removed by Delco from all the Ilmor/Chevy powered cars. The car uses the Ilmor 265A engine. The ECU should be replaced with a Motec or similar unit. We did this with a similar Lola with a Menards Buick a couple of years ago. Gearbox is a Galmer designed unit that uses Hewland DGB internal parts, so parts are easy to get.

Car has not run since 1992 when parked at the end of the season. The fuel cell should be checked to ensure it is OK. Fuel cells stored dry (as this one has been) are usually in fine shape. Brake and clutch hydraulics should be rebuilt and other items just visually checked. Engine has been sitting un-turned and so should be rebuilt before running. Chuck Haines at VDS rebuilt a similar 265A for us a couple of years ago and has all the parts and tools to do the job. Most people who run Indy cars in SVRA or HSR will have between $100k and $125k invested in a car when it is ready to go. For that reason, I have priced this car at only $60,000. This will give you plenty of room to get the engine rebuild done and the other maintenance items as well. The car comes with a starter.

Danny Sullivan drove this car to a 4th in the Indy 500 in 1992, the year that his team mate, Little Al, won narrowly over Scott Goodyear. At Long Beach that year, Little Al led until Danny nudged him in this car causing Al to spin. This became a famous incident. Danny went on to win at Long Beach. Car was in Blue and White Molson colors at Indy and in Kraco Yellow and Blue for all other races of the season. This will be a great car to run in the big bore Boss races in either SVRA or HSR.

More photos available, just ask.

$60,000 or offers

Robert Metcalf
    Metcalf Racing
    metcalfracing.com
    214-298-9837 cell
    972-494-3434 off

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Proper looking Indy car right there, before (I think) they had to change for the sake of change... timeless, still looks great.
    aaron

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by a. pettipas View Post
    Proper looking Indy car right there, before (I think) they had to change for the sake of change... timeless, still looks great.
    Spot on. Just looking at the car makes me want to go racing. That's how it should be.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 39

Chuck Cornelison at VDS is definitely the man when it comes to that Ilmor engine.

Liked: 35

Chuck has built several Cosworths and Ilmors for us over the years. Always does a spot on job.

Robert Metcalf

Thread Information