Liked: 313

Default 3D scan software/app

I tried 123d catch and had trouble so I thought I'd try one of the other apps.

Anyone have really good experience they want to share by way of a recommendation?

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Harmison View Post
    I tried 123d catch and had trouble so I thought I'd try one of the other apps.

Anyone have really good experience they want to share by way of a recommendation?
    I've been interested in this also.

Subscribing for more info.....

A little more background on what I tried with 123d catch:

As a first project, i tried scanning a model car. I painted it flat gray and then speckled it with black to give it texture. When the software mangled the meshing I put the model on a white board and put targets points on the board. I then went in the software and tried to define common points, photo-to-photo, making sure the points overlapped between photos and were not colinear. This in my mind should have given the software a reference plane and made stitching them together trivial. Didn't work at all. The result was horribly distorted.

I'm hoping someone here can say "If you're willing to do all that, then this software will really work well for you."

Thanks for any leads. If I don't hear from someone, I'll probably just try whatever the app store offers up.

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Been away from this end of mechanized madness for a few years... Previously the hot ticket software I dabbled; with used with a turntable and a web-cam and a laser pointer you modified to shoot a line. Was a Source Forge project as I recall so the price was good too = free.

So being interested - I hit the "G" and like the results of this one: Seene - if you can find a source for it. Seems it was discontinued earlier this year.

When you get a scan what is the plan some cnc work/3d printing?

Keep us posted/pictured!

Cheers Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

That's the sort of thing I want. I have a Craftsman laser level thing so I can shoot a sheet of monochromatic light easily. I didn't quite follow your post, is this software available somewhere and compatible with modern operating systems?

Scanning a model car is just a trial case. I'd like to scan lots of stuff. With 3d printing and 3d routing costs coming down so fast, the sky is the limit of what you want to make. Having the scan seems to be the important first step.

Liked: 1880

Haven't tried it yet, but there is software available that can make a pretty accurate 3D model out of a series of still digital photos.

Liked: 159

Default going to try...

scann3d

report coming soon

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

I was using DAVID and it appears to be still available, but they have also moved to a "profit-deal" bundling complete packages as plug-and-play solutions. This from CNET:
    http://download.cnet.com/windows/dav...6293325-1.html this version is 2.6.2, I was working with 1.3

Also played around with this one: http://download.cnet.com/windows/dav...6293325-1.html

His layout of a DIY scanner is what I built.

I played around a bit to generate a mesh and then convert to CAM files and CNC a stick grip (Apr 2007). Was quite complicated, so I initially worked some simple pieces. Still have the DIY turntable, laser, etc, but note that even version 2.6 of DAVID was at best WINXP. My output is lost somewhere on one of the many HDD, but I recall the output being fairly usable--just ran out of time.
    Excuses: At the time I was 6-on/6-off Sailing overseas, then CNC "play" at home. Ahh, but then the USAF recalled me in '09 and the 6/6 was over until late 2013. Then I took up this motor madness, so that is now 6-on/6-off. My season in the US is closing and I'm heading to the boat in S.E.A. Wish I could play with it some, but gotta pack.
    Best of luck - looking forward to your report and outputs.

Cheers - Jim
    Last edited by phantomjock; 12.22.16 at 8:13 AM. Reason: added link
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 357

I've found this FB group is pretty good for help. A lot of people are using a Microsoft Kinect webcam, but obviously there are other more advanced DIY options.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3dsug/

Alec Moody on there uses a Nikon D800E & Reality Capture software & has a bunch of great car parts done up that look great.

~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Haven't tried it yet, but there is software available that can make a pretty accurate 3D model out of a series of still digital photos.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Here is a search to help you get started. There is everything from hobbyist to survey-grade software available, with lots of them outputing directly in formats compatible with 3d printers. Have fun!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Thanks for the replies. I've read a number of the links and gone through some of Stan's search results. Seems the best stuff is (naturally) the expensive commercial software.

Anyone know if there is a business for sending your pictures in, review the results (obviously couldn't keep it, just look at it) and buy it if you like it?

I like to pay for results.

Thread Information