Liked: 232

Default Bertil Roos - 1943-2016

"Bertil Roos
    March 31, 2016
    Bertil Roos, 72, of Blakeslee, passed away on Thursday, March 31, 2016, at Pocono Medical Center. He was the husband of Barbara Summers.
    Born Oct. 12, 1943, in Gothenburg, Sweden, he was a son of the late Godfried and Karla (Beckmark) Roos. He was a resident of Monroe County since 1973.
    He was the founder, owner and operator of the Bertil Roos School of Racing in Long Pond.
    In addition to his wife, he is survived by his two daughters, Helené and Catarina Roos of Sweden; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and a sister, Barbara Hodgeson of England.
    He was predeceased by his brother, Leif.
    As per Bertil's wishes, there will be no public services."

Last edited by Swift17; 11.25.16 at 8:24 PM.

Liked: 20

Sad to hear this news.
    Bertil was my racing instructor at Fred Opert racing school in 1973 at Pocono.
    Rest in peace.

Liked: 83

Default Rip

Thanks for posting. There's a whole bunch of racers who say to themselves, sometimes out loud, "Look... LOOK!" Thank you, Bertil.

DK

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Oscar Kovaleski was the chief instructor at my SCCA driver school at Pocono in 1973 (?).
    And Bertil Roos was his assistant. Talk about a great pair of instructors and a great driving school. I'm sure he's watching over all of us.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

i too recall Bertil's preaching at Pocono in 1973...."looking, looking, looking"....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

Default Bertil Roos

Sad Day but I sure all the pros who had Bertil as their first coach have great memories of the
    time sent with him.
    He was very hands on , a great example was when I would not turn my Head enough at the
    Pocono hairpin he would throw his clipboard at me when approaching, the turn till i got it right.
    Bertil always showed an interest in my racing and always made a point of coming by when running
    at Pocono at offering up helpful hints.
    He seemed to take great pleasure when we last spoke that I was still racing and that I have had a long career as lead instructor at the Porsche Sport Driving School.
    Fire one up for all your Grads Bertil!!

Liked: 80

Default Bertil

One of the highlights of my racing career was to beat Bertil's long standing lap record at Mosport in u2l Can-Am. He was fiercely competitive but always willing to help a fellow driver. RIP Bertil Jeremy Hill

10. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Default Bertils Cars driven

Jeremy brings out a good point, Bertil ran up front with the 5 liter Can Am car many times.
    Hope we hear from some who raced against him.
    His last big effort was at the Runoffs in a FSV racing against the FAs. Think he finished 3rd.
    FV , FA , Indy cars, and F1 he could get it done in everything.Usually sideways!!

Liked: 502

Thank you Mr. Roos for your many contributions to racing and her drivers. RIP

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Going through the sweeper at Pocono in 1989 sitting next to Bertil in a S2 flat out with him (arms locked after turn in) staring me in the eye and screaming "see, this is how you do it" will always be one of the most memorable times in my racing "career"

That and watching him laugh so hard at the bar next to the school office, that he flipped over backwards on a bar stool but somehow tossed his drink up on the bar before hitting the floor. Dude had reflexes like a cat!

Thank you Bertil. I owe a lot of race wins to you sir.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

14. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 5

Default Bertil Roos-My Hero

Bertils brother-in-law has opened a Go Fund Me site(Racing Legend Bertil Roos-Widow). This is to assist Bertils widow Bobbi who has tirelessly supported Bertil for the last twelve years as he was unable to work due to the illness that led to his death. She is a loyal and outstanding person who now needs help as she is in a difficult financial situation. Lets step up and help racers! Bertil gave a lot to the SCCA pro and club racers with his excellent school and teaching. Plus a lot of excitement to those of us who were fortunate enough to see him race.

Contributing Member

Default Go Fund Me

Any way to get a direct link to the Go Fund Me acct?
    I would love to help but not so computer savy!!

Liked: 5

Default Link for Bertil Roos Widow Fund

Liked: 44

Default Wow

I am the proud owner of a '75 Lola T324 HU61, and Bertil raced the car... RIP.

Thread Information