Liked: 126

Default Pic-A-Part Pinto...

... or a penny for your thoughts

I've decided to spend my fortune and have Ivey build me up a fresh 2.0L this winter. I've got two disassembled motors and with your help, will decide which parts to use to make one good motor. Pictures and descriptions (to my limited 2.0L knowledge) below, so please help me fill in the unknowns -

The Orange motor (because it's painted orange), using head studs, the one that was in the car when purchased and has been overheating:
    T4 block

unknown pistons (marked 21426V1 STD)

unknown oil pump and steel pan

unknown Tilton clutch

unknown flywheel

8c cylinder head

8c valves (two different types used here)

8c intake porting (some guide removed)

__________________________________________________ ________

The purple motor, using head bolts, the complete clutch-to-carb spare that came with car:
    202 block

unknown pistons (marked 34)

unknown oil pump and aluminum pan

ot-111 Tilton clutch

unknown flywheel

8a cylinder head

8a valves

8c intake porting (most of guide gone)

TroyT - SFR SCCA, VARA, CSRG, SVRA
    www.ThingsThatGoVroom.net
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

This is that game where you post a teeny bit of a pic and we guess what it's a pic of, right? I love that game! I'm guessing this is a pinto motor. Did I get it?

/sarc - sorry... can you make the pics a teeny bit smaller, please?

Liked: 6

Default Call them

I'd suggest you just call Ivey and ask them or shoot them an email with pics.
    A picture can never tell you if a block, head,or crank is cracked though-

Good luck

The big pics resize to smaller on my computer, figured they did on everyone's, maybe I'm wrong. If it's an issue, I can delete and repost. I left them as large as I could so knowledgable folks could have as much detail as possible to help me determine which parts to use.
    Info sent to Ivey as well, but since this forum is such a large braintrust, it would be a shame to waste it...
    Last edited by troyt; 11.22.16 at 7:38 PM.
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

Liked: 324

Not sure if this is feasible for you, but Ivey is roughly 12 hours away from you. Ever consider loading up all the bits and taking it up to him? They could select all the best parts and make one motor out of that.

This idea works if you have something else you wanted to do or pick up in Portland area. Visit family etc.

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 246

Troy, agree with the post above. Even if it costs you double shipping just send everything to Jay and let him and Colin sort it out. You will get the "right" answers and he can tell you the good, bad, and ugly on all the parts. Todd

Liked: 282

The maroon paint is an Ivey color. Probably one of his, it is also the late model block and has the newer flywheel. Call Jay and talk to him and send him pictures.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1507

yeah - my guess is the Ivey motor was the good one and the homebuilt one that was in the car is the "spare".

I spoke to Ivey Engines yesterday to discuss options, head/refresh/rebuild, etc. They will take a look at the pics and get back to me, as they are also looking into Bay area shipping containers for me (great guys). I asked them about the purple engine, they had me check the builder stamp on the head and block, and they said it's not theirs. They said there is a shop in the midwest who uses, or used to use, "Ivey" maroon as well, but Ivey build numbers always go IVxxxx.

I've received some much appreciated PMs, concerns about part legality, compatibility, etc. I've learned and checked a few things, and that's why I posted all the pics. I'm trying to learn about these cars, and always try to keep my stuff legal. For ref, both the T4 and 202 blocks carry the GCR required HM6015BA casting number, something I didn't even think about checking...

Interesting that one motor runs two scavenge lines that tee together before the oil swirl pot, while the other just ran one scavenge line, and neither are plumbed for a cooler. I would like to hear some more comments on the oil pumps and the steel vs aluminum oil scavenge pan...

Thanks, and a very Happy Thanksgiving to all you Forumites. I work in the travel industry and spend most holidays on the road, and I have discovered that the holidays aren't necessarily about the "traditional" turkey, football, Christmas tree, etc, but about sharing some good time and good food with good people. Sharing our race cars is just a bonus.
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Hi Troy: suggestions

Pic #1....... Use a steel adapter on the Dural hose fitting, it's under stress and might
    crack
    Pic #2....... Detonation and steam cleaned. AE piston std. The other might be the OEM

clutch 71/4" \OT2 Tilton
    purple 5.5" \OT3 "

The Inspiration shots...... but spare parts are good. You got around that Chrysler good pass. Good luck and I expect you will out and running for the School ??

Troy.......I have a Haynes Ford Pinto Shop Manual that you can have......you coming down sometime soon??

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry B.; 11.24.16 at 1:15 AM. Reason: Addition

Thanks Jerry. I'll be teaching at the U as always, see ya there.
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 961

Troy,

I have a shipping container you can borrow if you want. Safe travels.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 608

Send them everything and let a professional decide...it's only the extra shipping charges for a lot of peace of mind

Liked: 130

Nice aluminum pan! I would assume they do not weep?!?!

I haven't used that one yet, but I've never had other AL pans weep. It's a Pace unit with matching pump that came on the "spare", I'm going to use it on the fresh build.
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1507

check the AL pan for fit. It has to clear the step at the back of the 90-96 frame, and if there are mounts/ears on the front they might interfere with the floor cross bracing.

I have a very nice ARE pan I got for cheap - but it will probably cost me $150 to cut the step, move a port, and weld everything back up and machine it.

Thanks Rick, I'll take a close look.
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

Thread Information