Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Call Jon Lewis, he can get you there.
    Marshall, Marshall, Marshall. I was waiting for some smartass to say that. Problem (depending on ones' perspective) is the OP may not recognize the humor. I'm sure Jon would hang up on him after finding out his funding level....then again low hanging fruit, as they say.

to the OP read Spengo's post again....and then read it again.

Scott Speed won the SKUSA Super Pro Title for JM Racing. That's a huge long shot, but a similar level of success in karts would be step one on your goal to make it to F1. I imagine the annual budget to duplicate that feat would be close to 6 figures....depending how quickly you learn and how wise you are with your spending choices.

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by f1racingchampsd11 View Post
    Okay and I appreciate everyone's glimpse of reality, although I do realize this, but you know, if someone told James Hunt or whomever after they went to driver's school for the first time and did not distinguish themselves that they would never make it, and that person gave up on that persons advice, then they would have never become World Champion.
    Agreed, and I applaud your enthusiasm.

My only point in that post about winning races and championships in karts was that when I first raced Formula Fords with the Ca. guys, I found out how darn fast they were (it was very educational).
    It took a lot of seat time just to get close to the lap times they were running. And they had big bucks in their cars.

Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Marshall, Marshall, Marshall. I was waiting for some smartass to say that. .
    Daryl, did you just call me a name? I am now going to hide in my safe space. Oh, wait, you live there.....CA. Not fair....someone help me....Mommy, Mommy. Oh wait, I am a man and this is real life. Okay then, I guess Ill have to listen to not just what pleases my ears and supports my ideals. Dang.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    You've raced 2 times, or raced your current kart 2 times?

"Both. Actually practiced once, and then raced once."

I'd say we've all spent more than enough time on this thread considering the above, but it will make good reading for future racing aspirants.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

AKA: Beating a dead horse.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 679

Scanning through this thread, I just had a random thought. Ayerton Senna was a superior talent, maybe in the top five or six best racers ever to race in F1. But would anyone know Senna was, if Senna's dad hadn't been rich? Even he wouldn't have gotten there, despite his massive talent, if he hadn't had daddy's fortune to cover his training years. I think the last F1 champ who got there on talent alone was in the Jackie Stewart / Fittipaldi era [and I think Emerson had daddy's cash too]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Scanning through this thread, I just had a random thought. Ayerton Senna was a superior talent, maybe in the top five or six best racers ever to race in F1. But would anyone know Senna was, if Senna's dad hadn't been rich? Even he wouldn't have gotten there, despite his massive talent, if he hadn't had daddy's fortune to cover his training years. I think the last F1 champ who got there on talent alone was in the Jackie Stewart / Fittipaldi era [and I think Emerson had daddy's cash too]
    I have heard stories that Schumacher was poor and slept in a van at the track when racing Formula Fords.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Read Tommy Byrne's book:

'Crashed and Byrned'

It will give you some great insight into the F1600 and F2000 days of Senna and other F1 drivers in England and Europe around 1980, not to mention Tommy's story.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1880

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    I have heard stories that Schumacher was poor and slept in a van at the track when racing Formula Fords.

His father was a wealthy industrialist.

Liked: 33

I thought His father was a bricklayer? I read that somewhere will have to look it up to verify.

Liked: 33

It's a wiki so who knows how true this is https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Schumacher

Liked: 1115

Gilles...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 13

-
    Last edited by jimmy neutron; 09.05.23 at 11:04 PM.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Hey be nice.

All of us were confident when we started or we would not have started.

People like Dave W. turned out to be justified in that confidence.

Others like myself not so justified.

Liked: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Spengo View Post
    ...When he's not driving his go kart he's playing goddamn rFactor on his computer.
    Don't knock sim racing! It's the cheapest seat time on the planet!

Even Gordy tried it

Contributing Member
    Liked: 238

Yeah and got my a** handed to me !

Way tougher than it looks !
    Last edited by Gordy; 10.11.16 at 3:55 PM.

Liked: 1

[QUOTE=jimmy neutron;519246]Your very confident that youll be fast in ff just because you did 1 kart race? Tell me what your smoking because its got some strong ass chemicals in it.[/QUOTE

Oh I'm really broken up about that one. I actually haven't been smoking any pot, but hey James Hunt had all kinds of stuff in his system when he won the Canadian GP in 76'. I've decided I might give shifter karts a try next. I think the guys right about we've been on this thread too long whether they think I'm an idiot or not.

Liked: 757

I hate to carry on the negative theme but you'd be far far better off investing in a single speed TAG kart given your inexperience. Jumping into a shifter kart is not going to teach you anything. They are not for beginners.

25. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 43

There isn't much shifter kart racing on the eastern 2/3 of the country. There is a Rok cup series mostly in Florida. It isn't well attended, not much strong competition. Unless you have the budget to race SKUSA, mostly out west, shifters won't get you much competition. While seat time is VERY important, you need strong competition so you can gage where you are. My son won the 2015 USPKS leopard pro champion, so I know karting. I think you should consider racing an IAME X30 instead in either USPKS or WKA Man Cup. If you can run in the top 5 in those series you have some talent. You will need a new kart and engine, figure around $10K. Then budget around $2500 per event weekend. Trust me, you can't be competitive with an older oval chassis. Good luck!

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 99

OP testing for Ferrari yet?
    -Nick

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by f1racingchampsd11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy neutron View Post
    Your very confident that youll be fast in ff just because you did 1 kart race? Tell me what your smoking because its got some strong ass chemicals in it.[/QUOTE

Oh I'm really broken up about that one. I actually haven't been smoking any pot, but hey James Hunt had all kinds of stuff in his system when he won the Canadian GP in 76'. I've decided I might give shifter karts a try next. I think the guys right about we've been on this thread too long whether they think I'm an idiot or not.

This answer is just proof of where your at, it is 2016 not the 70's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information