Thread: Brian McCarthy

Liked: 858

Default Brian McCarthy

It is with great sadness that I report that Brian McCarthy died last night less than a month after being diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. No info yet on any services.

Brian has long been a stalwart for FV and SCCA. He has served on the BOD as well as the CRB and the FV Ad Hoc Committee in past years. He competed at the highest levels in FV for longer than I can remember .. and that's a LONG time.

He will be sorely missed.
    RIP, Brian.
    Last edited by Steve Davis; 09.25.16 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Celebration of life was cancelled.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 113

Very sad news. I had the pleasure to meet him at Mid-Ohio during the "Pro Vee" weekend he was involved with. What a fantastic gentleman. He personally checked in on our team at least twice a day to make sure we were were informed of all of the goings on and having a good time. Brian made me feel as if I was a lifelong friend after meeting him for only the first time

Our thoughts and prayer go out to his family.
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Liked: 63

Default RIP My friend

I overlapped with Brian for several years on the National BoD. He was a stickler for numbers (accuracy in reporting), wanted to dive into the details of the SCCA budgets and spending and his number 1 hot button was costs for competitors. He had his ideas and opinions and could be a PITA but when presented with actual data was willing to change. He actively contributed to making the SCCA better.

I spoke with him less than 2 weeks ago, and he was focused on finding a suitable replacement for the remainder of his BoD term and of course the next round of medical tests. I will miss our discussions. If there’s a Heaven for Racers, I’m sure he’ll still be building FV engines!

Todd Butler
    BoD 2010-2015

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 63

Default God Speed Brian

Two years aga I started restoring a Lynx FV. Someone gave me Brian's number and said he will help you.
    I called Brian and we spoke many times. We knew some of the same people in sprint car racing.
    I then picked up a Super Vee and Brian was very excited for me.
    Although I never got to meet Brian face to face. He was still a friend to me.
    I know he helped a lot of people will be sorely missed by his family and friends

God Speed Brian

Jeff Terry

Liked: 306

I was never fortunate enough to meet Brian in person, but through the FV website and Apex, he felt like a friend. When I started looking at FV again after more than 30 years, Brian was one of those that took time to answer my considerable number of questions. When I had questions about his car design he took the time to email me with the answers.

He will be missed.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 302

I met Brian in the 90's through Bob Lybarger and crewed for him two years in a row at the June Sprints, when he would hitch up the motorhome and do a Midwest race tour in the summers.
    We also met up at the first couple of F1 G.P.s @ Indy.
    He introduced me to Capt. Morgan...whew...those were some long nights at Siebkens followed by longer nights back at the motorhome.
    So sad to lose another friend.
    It's the hardest part of living life.
    Salut, my friend.
    Glenn Lange

Liked: 45

6-7 years ago, Brian came over to one of out (Reno SCCA) Time Trials events at the Reno track.
    I offered to take him out for some laps in my Corvette to show him what it's like when I take my student drivers on track.

He was a bit hesitant on the first lap as a passenger but then kept telling me to go faster each time we crossed the start/finish.

Great Guy, he will be missed.

Liked: 21

Default Remembering Brian

I first met Brian at a race at Reno when a connecting rod came through the block of my engine. He came over and helped me with the engine swap.
    I raced with a few times and found him a competitor and a friend. The Vee community has lost another person that made this group so welcoming.
    Will miss you Brian.
    Matt

Liked: 2

Default Remembering Brian

I met Brian on the track back in the mid 90's at a MidOhio National. We had a great battle in the closing laps, wheel to wheel and side by side through a number of corners.

I was so completely impressed when he hunted me down after the race to share in the fun and commend the room we gave each other. I will remember him always as a fantastic person and a great competitor. Yes, he did pip me at the end too!

Fos

Liked: 1432

I've never met Brian, but I always thought it was a nice move on his part to share some of the BoD decision with forum members, and try to explain the reasoning behind the decisions. He added a lot of transparency and understanding to club members.

Best to his family and all who knew him - from all I have seen here an on Facebook, he seemed like a guy I would have liked to have known.

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Brian was a good friend as well as a valued colleague on the BoD. I have had many conversations with him about the issues of the day and racing in general during our time on the Board together. He will truly be missed by racers and members everywhere.

RIP

Terry

Thread Information