Liked: 10

Default Who all is in Wisconsin?

Hi all, I'm wondering who here is from Wisconsin. I'm considering buying a FM or something similar for occasional trackdays at BHF and Road America.

I'd really like to poke around one and get some measurements of an engine cradle, diff mounts, ect. I'm in Madison and can travel a bit and of course work with your schedule If I could come look at some ones car sometime.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Travis

I know that I was vague but what I'm looking to do it bring back the open wheel turbo era for myself..
    I am an Audi enthusiast, so for me an inline 5 is a cheap, logical answer to power a chassis of this type. the 016 trans that was used on front wheel drive audis is commonly used for kit car builds (GT40 and such) and is capable of holding 250whp (about a 3B or AAN on 20 pounds of boost and still very reliable. There are still plenty of other gearboxes that do better for more power i.e the boxter (016 variant I believe), 01e fwd from Europe, 01X, ect.

Judging from what I've seen of a FM with a 13bt doing hill climbs the chassis is still ok in the 300-375whp range.

Measurement wise it seems feasible, what I've found so far is the 13b is about 19" long and my 3B or AAN motor is 21" long. I would imagine there is still a little room in the FM chassis and if not there is the 07K 2.5l 5 cyl that's 3" shorter than the 3B/AAN motors which makes it almost identical. Trans length is another concern and I thing I'd need an older FM that doesn't mount the rear shocks inbound.

I know it may sound like pipe dreams to some but I do this kind of stuff to everything I own, to me its all about the drive.. or ride in some cases.

Hope this helps to get a little attention.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 22

I'm in Milwaukee and actually have a fm up on stands with all body work removed, soon to be pulling engine, trans, etc to do a frame up restoration. Let me know, would be happy to let you come take some measurements.

That would be awesome!

I was starting to think that no one was going to reply.

What kind of times work for you? I still have some pto time so if days work better for ya I can make that work. Aside from what I hope to be a fun project I wouldn't mind chit chatting about the Cars, series and drivers, even if my ideas don't work it may still be feasible to get into some lite competition.

Thanks for getting back to me, it helped brighten an already perfect day.

Travis.

Thread Information