Liked: 18

Default Need a wind-screen for PC10

So this 82 we've been chatting about has a little wrap-around wind screen that is blue, matching the livery, and looks sexy as hell to me. Anyway, the one that came with the car is 90% there but has 3 or 4 inches of the right side rear part missing. I assume I would never find one somewhere? And that I'll have to have it made? I think someone that specializes in plastics should be able to replicate easy as I have an original and it really only has two bends in it.

Thoughts on this guys? Any vendors that specialize in this?
    Last edited by the Wizard; 04.20.15 at 9:43 PM.

Liked: 324

many types of plastics used in windscreens can be 'spliced/joined' into another piece with the right solvent. If the pieces missing are simple flat sections, I would take the screen to a GOOD plastic fabricator and see what they say. If they can get the same material/color, it could save a lot of money and time.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Aircraft Windshield in Los Alamitos. Talk to Judy, she can make whatever you need.
    http://www.aircraftwindshield.com
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

doesn't the captain have this stuff available?

Scorp....I wish the broken off piece would have made it along with the car.....might be able to do a really quick acrylic repair. I'll keep in mind your idea.

Team.....good contact info....funny thing is Los Alamitos is just a few miles from where I bought the car. I'll check with them, looks like they can make anything.

Provamo....I assume you're kidding, but if you aren't please say so. I never assumed Penske would have anything at all to help in my effort? Am I wrong? Sure would be cool to just order parts from a Penske catalog...lol......

Liked: 8

Default replacement wind screen

HI
    We just went throught the drill with the windscreen for my club ford.
    I took off the wind screen and made a paper pattern by just wrapping it around and marking.
    I found the .125 or 1/8" light gray polycabonate on line from e plastics.
    We used polycarbonate because it is thermo formable and able to take an impact.
    We layed the pattern on the plastic, marked it and cut with a compressed air sheet metal sheer.
    It cut cleanly and then we finished the edges with sandpaper.
    We got the material to flex with moderate pressure applied at both ends and then heated with a gun to get the final radius formed.
    We started at the center point with the first plastic screw and went out from there drilling as we went to attach to the bodywork.
    We found that there was about 1/4" material left on the ends which we took off with the sheer.
    I found that Sheffield plastics in MA has the blue polycarbonate that you may need.
    Not sure if it will be the right color.
    Regards,

Greg Kokolus
    PRS #30

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1403

Try these guys: Sales@SoltisPlastics.com.

They did wind screens for my cars and a lot of Indy cars when the PC 10 was built. You might get lucky and they will have a from for the PC 10.

My screens had compound curves and I supplied them with a from for the wind screen.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1880

If you haven't found one already, look up Bernie King at Penske Restoration Shop at IMS in Auburn Hillls, MI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5jsVL64TA

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks, a great resource for the whole project. I did talk to Judy at Aircraft Windshield, and she even has the form, but I'll call Bernie first...just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    If you haven't found one already, look up Bernie King at Penske Restoration Shop at IMS in Auburn Hillls, MI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc5jsVL64TA
    I couldn't find any contact info on Google.....anyone have a phone number?

Thanks.....

BUMP

How would I get ahold of Bernie King? Seems their number is unlisted and they don't look like they really wanna be found....lol.....

You can always call information for Auburn Hills, or call the city hall.

Or just try harder with Google:

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...n.517-592-1205

Ahhh, there you go.....I did go deep, but that didn't pop up....thanks. Is it ok to contact him about parts and stuff? Or is he some private type organization that doesn't wanna be bothered by the public.

Liked: 0

Default I'd go ith Aircraft Windshield in Los Alamitos

Personally if you're close to Los Alamitos, I'd go with the Aircraft Windshield option. They have a ton of molds for all manner of race cars from Indy & F1 to FF. I needed one for my Theodore T83/Ensign N183B and they were able to use the form from a Lola T340 and modify it. I took the body section of my car to their premises plus a couple of photos from '83 when the car was being raced so they were able to make sure it was an exact fit. Great people too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	53612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	53613  

Yes, I am working with Judy. They have the molds for a PC10, but I'm gonna give them what's left of the old windshield just to be sure. She seems nice.

My understanding from someone who did a lot of PC-10 tub repair work over the years is that the PC-10 had a lot of different windscreen shapes, so you might want to research a bit more about what the correct one (if there were options) would be for that tub.

I would call the Penske Restoration shop before committing to anything.

That's why I'm sending them the old windshield, which is 95% complete.....just missing a section on one side, which I recreated in cardboard.

I'd love to call the contact you gave me at Penske Restoration, but, someone very knowledgable in another thread said they certainly wouldn't have a windshield and really have no interest in talking to you as they really don't sell parts to the public. I don't wanna be a bother. Do you have a different impression of how they relate to the public?

No knowledge about them at all, other than what they do and that another local restorer recommended contacting them.

Ok sounds reasonable....so I tried. That number has been disconnected. Would the local restorer you mention have a current number?

Try the Penske Museum in Scottsdale, AZ - apparently everything got moved there when Roger sold the MIS track.

I have talked to them....no help...just a museum. Someone also said something about LONGO TOYOTA having some Penske cars so I could see the wing adjusters, which are missing on mine.....not there anymore.....moved all the cars out to make room for Lexus I think it was.

But Aircraft Windshields has my center body section right now....we'll get that done. But I do wish I could get some detail on those adjusters, I only have a photo, no dimensions.

So I thought I'd close out this thread with a photo. This is one of the two windshields Aircraft Windshields made for me.....Judy or Jesica. This was the wide-body that had never had a windshield before so we had to make a mold. Came out very well. The narrow-body windshield looks about the same. Mark in the shop is the man. Thanks for your help finding this resource.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	55498  

28. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

I may bea bit late but try this:

Bernie King
    Penske Restoration
    2555 Telegraph Road
    Bloomfield Hills MI 48302

Bernie (dot) king@penskecorp.com

The address was good as of a year ago.

Bernie is very helpful and is the source of Penske Cars knowledge. If you have a Penske, he's your savior.

I have reached out to him but never got a response. Friends have told me the dynamic here is he works for Roger and that's it. Would love to have him as a resource though, there is one tiny part missing that I need info on.

Thread Information