Liked: 3787

Looking over the spec cars at Atlanta there was a lot there that I liked. And 2300 cc scoots. But... One thing I think they should do.

The rear of the trany has many, many expensive machined parts exposed. The SCCA should mandate some sort of IRL type "cushion" back there to shield all those pieces. Else a minor shunt that would normally just take out a wing and/or wing mounts is going to wipe out one's wallet when it comes to all those shifter parts and pieces.

Just my 2 cents.

Liked: 553

I agree and others have commented about the vulnerabilty of those pieces, too. It almost sounded like that was something that would need to be addressed pretty soon.

I heard that the red one did a 1:30.0 on Friday.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Don't think the rain light provides enough protection?
    I made my FC diffusers (and belly pan)out of .125 T-6 Aluminum to stop repairing the composite ones. Found it held up much better than the fiberglass noses and got the wieght (needed ballast anyway) real low.

Some sort of cushioning device sounds like an excellent idea.

Scott Brickey

Liked: 1

that is the one thing i hate about spec classes, if you made your own acuator (never could spell) bumper in back. would they say you could not race since it is not a spec part?
    If they don't make one the only reason they wont is so you have to buy lots of parts from them.
    Chris

Here's another thought.

How many drivers were injured in IRL by backing into the wall before they moved the gearbox and added the bumper?

The impact went straight from the gearbox to the drivers spine.

Racing isn't safe but it doesn't have to be stupid.

[size="1"][ June 23, 2003, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: MJM ][/size]

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

uh, none.

Correction: paralyzed, spines broken. Not killed, but not good.

http://www.canadianracing.com/articl...2-rolex24.html

Unfortunately, the race brought the total to three the number of drivers suffering serious injuries at Walt Disney World Speedway in recent months. Besides Sam Schmidt's paralysis (he is starting therapy this week), both Jaques Lazier and Davey Hamilton saw their innocent-looking accidents result in back injuries. Both are now out of the hospital, but it is believed that Lazier will be wearing a back brace for some time.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...22082537.shtml

In the first year of the Indy Racing League Series, numerous cars hit the wall backwards, causing back injuries to the drivers. The IRL engineers suggested the installation of a rear attenuator behind the gearbox. These are crushable structures that absorb a large quantity of energy during a rearward crash, making it less damaging for the driver,” Gray explains

http://home.hiwaay.net/~cornutt/irlfaq.html#4.8

In 1997, there were problems with head injuries being suffered in back-in accidents due to insufficient energy absorbtion capability at the rear of the car, but that problem has been rectified

http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/0329/1531191.html

Gil de Ferran is hurting from last Sunday's nasty accident in the closing stages of the Indy Racing League show at Phoenix International Raceway, but the two-time CART champion is also thankful he was in good HANS.
    The 35-year-old open wheel star suffered a fracture in his neck and lower back, plus a concussion, after tangling with Michael Andretti and smashing backwards into the first turn wall on an impact that registered 75 Gs.

The IRL's new gearbox also helped dissipate the energy

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

from untold number killed to one case of paralysis. quite a correction!!

md

Liked: 0

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Liked: 3787

Talk about going off course...

I wasn't worried about the driver. I was concerned about all those itty-bitty exposed shifter parts on the rear.

Thread Information