Liked: 0

Default Best steering wheel quick release?

I am going to be replacing a steering wheel quick release that has too much backlash and would appreciate recommendations for the best available unit. My criteria is least amoint of backlash in the steering once installed. Ease of installation (such as aligning splines) is a distant secondary issue. Spa Design seems to be quite popular. Is there something better? Thanks for sharing your experiences and recommendations. Earl Zwickey

Liked: 324

Default Spa

I was recently in the same spot you are now. I spent quite a bit of time searching for a 'SPA alternative'. I am using a Momo open top wheel and the two viable alternatives had mount hubs that were simply to big in diameter to go on the back of the Momo wheel.

Having an alignment spline was a major consideration for me. On another track car I had actually taken track without noticing that I had the steering wheel 1 notch off of where it was supposed to be. That actually proved to be a bigger issue than anticipated and I had to finish session early because of steering wheel alignment!

The alignment spline severely cuts down on the number of alternatives on the market. I don't like the price of the SPA. But that is what I ended up buying.

Contributing Member jemartin144's Avatar
    Liked: 11

I replaced my cheap hex quick release with an affordable release from Hyper racing (http://www.hyperracing.com/pages/pro...product=16-646). I really like it and it doesn't break the bank. It is the small form factor with the pull lip which is the style i like. It has almost no backlash that i can tell, in fact its so much better it makes me want to replace my rack because that's where all my slop is now. The only thing i dont like, and this is very small, is that the machining on the steel splined piece is a little bumpy which you can feel when you insert or remove the steering wheel part, but again this is very minor and doesn't effect performance.

It isn't indexed like the SPA, which i didn't even realize the SPA was and is a cool feature. It would be interesting to try to modify the non-indexed release to be indexed.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 162

Splined, indexed, good size and great quality for formula cars.

Mark Williams Enterprises, $105.00

http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=41

which includes splined fitting http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=29

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

I'll second that on Mark Williams Enterprises!
    Small , light and exquisitely exact!!

Liked: 141

14" x 24 threads ???

Liked: 304

1/4 20 or 28 I would guess.

Liked: 162

Default Everythings's a bit different in Boulder...

Might be imported from Ork?? Mine is 1/4"-28, I'll let them know.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

Anybody have a line on a QR with an electrical connection for a horn button?

I'd like to put a QR on my motorhome wheel so I can easily spin the front seat around to accommodate more people inside.

I've seen a bunch of stuff for drift cars, etc, but hoping to find someone who has actual experience with one.

Thread Information