Liked: 23

Default Tech Q on push rods

I took my new Vee for a tech inspection today. We did a thorough inspection since it has been out of the US for a few years. Overall it looked good. Had three items of note.

One thing he mentioned was the lack of "captive spherical rod ends" on the rear push rod lower joint.

Here's a picture. Link below will take you to a hi res image.

What exactly do I need to do here?

https://i.imgur.com/LziR7YB.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Liked: 67

My guess he was talking about safety washers like these

http://www.mooreparts.com/stainless-...3VrBoC4dzw_wcB

Obviously these will not fit there and are not needed since there is no where for the joint to go if the ball failed.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 304

The tab serves as the safety washer here, nothing else is needed. The main purpose of the washer is to retain the rod end should it fail, not allowing the rod end to pop out over the bolt head.

The washers are needed when the rod end is in single shear, this is double shear and safe without the washer.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    The tab serves as the safety washer here, nothing else is needed. The main purpose of the washer is to retain the rod end should it fail, not allowing the rod end to pop out over the bolt head.

The washers are needed when the rod end is in single shear, this is double shear and safe without the washer.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Thanks! I was at a loss as to how I would place a conical washer like Mike showed down in that small space. Like he said, not going to fit.

Liked: 301

The rod end IS "captured" on both sides in this particular application.

Glenn

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information