Liked: 26

Default Swift DB4 4AG TRD ECU Question

First post on Apexspeed but I was wondering if any of you nice folk would be willing to open your ECU to find out something out for me, ideally taking a picture like I have below.

I recently purchased a 1990 Swift DB4 that had been known to have a miss in the past so I took the ECU apart and found the culprit. The problem is I can't tell the rating of what burned out so I need some assistance.

The ECU is a TRD unit with "Players LTD/Toyota Atlantic Championship" Engraved on the front, I may be foolish in thinking it will be a common unit that was used during the 90's on Toyota powered Swift DB4's

Funnily enough the car runs fine at the moment, it was only my curiosity that made me open the ECU up.

Liked: 27

I have a spare ECU if interested ?
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 141

There should be a lot of those ECU around not being used. I'm at track today and will ask around. Engine builders Loyning or Hasselgren should have some if they haven't just thrown them away. And check my add for my Reynards and tell a friend to buy them.
    Last edited by J Leonard; 05.30.16 at 10:48 AM. Reason: none

Mine is brand new still in the package and I am NOT going to throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    Mine is brand new still in the package and I am NOT going to throw it away !
    Since your throwing it away what's it worth?

Also I see there are two connectors on the ECU, one I am guessing for the running of the car and the other for a computer to plug in. Are the PC cables and software readily available? Is there a plain text serial output on the ECU for all the sensors etc? I am asking as according to the history of the car a new motor from Loyning was installed in 2011 and it came with a dyno tuned ECU, so I am guessing the maps have been tweaked and if installing a new ECU I would like to have a look.

Software is in the package too ! I wonder if Arnie still has the maps for your engine ? Or are you capable of doing it? I'll send you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    Software is in the package too ! I wonder if Arnie still has the maps for your engine ? Or are you capable of doing it? I'll send you a pm.
    Replied to your email but it bounced

Sorry, I changed my addy. Fixed now.

So thanks to Pop Chevy I now have a new ECU, cables and software. It turns out my old ECU was working but reports a lot of problems like the water being below freezing when in fact it isn't, but my next question comes as a result of me decomiling the DOS exe software and finding references to a logger.

I don't get the menu in the software, but its there in the code:

F1 - Engine Page
    F2 - Diagnostics
    F3 - Logger Page
    F4 - Setup Logger
    F5 - Download Logger
    ESC - Exit

The regular menu which I do get when in the ECU communcations section is:

F1 - Data
    F2 - Diags
    F4 - Prgm
    F5 - Read
    H - Help
    ESC - Exit

I am guessing it's either lazy coding copied across from another Efi technology inc ECU (seems they were making Race 1.0-3.0 ECU at the time) or you need a Logger module that will activate the string of code to enable the menu. Anyone have any experience with it?

Edit - Found the routine for when the logger isn't connected, so I am guessing its a extra piece of kit that was probably an extra in the day it was raced. I have emailed EFI to see if they know anything about it.
    Last edited by Jamez; 06.15.16 at 7:52 AM. Reason: added information

Another question, can anyone confirm what years the fuel injected 4AG we used, I am guessing this ECU was used from 1992-1996 while the series was called the "Player's Toyota Atlantic Championship" where Swift DB4 and Ralt RT40/41 ran them?

Liked: 5

First season the TRD fuel injection/ignition system was used in the Pro Series was 1994. Pretty sure it remained the same through 1996. There were some changes made in the years that followed but I don't have details.
    Loyning or Hasslegren would be the best sources of info.
    Steve O'Hara

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Hara View Post
    First season the TRD fuel injection/ignition system was used in the Pro Series was 1994. Pretty sure it remained the same through 1996. There were some changes made in the years that followed but I don't have details.
    Loyning or Hasslegren would be the best sources of info.
    Steve O'Hara
    Steve is correct. Injection was optional in 94 and I think required in 95 and on.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Thread Information