Liked: 16

Default WTB Radical Halo head rest

I am looking to add halo headrest to my Radical SR3. Must be in very good condition.

Thanks,

Charley

Liked: 2

Bump back atcha:

If you find an extra let me know, I have been looking for a while now. I posted a wanted ad here also that got lots of views but no responses. Best of luck.

pcw54@yahoo.com

3. The following members LIKED this post:

FYI, the exchange rates are pretty good right now. I just ordered one of these from Radical in England for ~$475 delivered. They said that it isn't in stock, but they said they can "chase one up for me".... We will have to see how long it takes to get here.

Charley

To bad that doesn't hold true so much up here in Canada.
    I'm quoted $830 CDN includes delivery, customs and duty and sales tax.....

-Peter

Wow, I wonder why the big difference? I got a quote from my regional Radical dealer for ~$800... But when I checked the main Radical website (England) they had it listed for 299 pounds + 59.80 VAT + 29.34 pounds shipping. When I entered the order it didn't include the VAT or any other charges. Total cost was 328.34 pounds which is $473.65 US. It arrived today... I can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Charley

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

I have one still in the box, it wouldnt fit my application. Thought about putting it on my Caterham unless someone needs one. esakuma@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by quartzracer View Post
    I have one still in the box, it wouldnt fit my application. Thought about putting it on my Caterham unless someone needs one. esakuma@aol.com
    Email sent!

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Wow, I wonder why the big difference? I got a quote from my regional Radical dealer for ~$800... But when I checked the main Radical website (England) they had it listed for 299 pounds + 59.80 VAT + 29.34 pounds shipping. When I entered the order it didn't include the VAT or any other charges. Total cost was 328.34 pounds which is $473.65 US. It arrived today... I can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Charley
    Wow, that's great! You got a deal!!

Curious to hear how you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Gunner View Post
    Wow, that's great! You got a deal!!

Curious to hear how you like it?
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to get installed in time for my trip to the track this weekend... It turns out that this isn't a simple bolt in installation. The halo has a four bolt pattern and the car has a three bolt pattern. I am going to work on it tomorrow.

Charley

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get installed in time for my trip to the track this weekend... It turns out that this isn't a simple bolt in installation. The halo has a four bolt pattern and the car has a three bolt pattern. I am going to work on it tomorrow.

Charley
    Make any progress yet?

Make any progress yet?
    Some .... But, it's not right yet. I figured out the two holes vs. three holes. It turns out that two diagonal hold are use for mounting on the left side of the car and the other two are for mounting it on the right side of the car. Unfortunately the stock mounting location is about 2.5 inches too low for me, so I am working on making a bracket. The first bracket I made was out of 1/8" 6051 aluminum, but it flexes too much. I am going to have to make one out of thicker aluminum or steal.

Charley

Some .... But, it's not right yet. I figured out the two holes vs. three holes. It turns out that two diagonal hold are use for mounting on the left side of the car and the other two are for mounting it on the right side of the car. Unfortunately the stock mounting location is about 2.5 inches too low for me, so I am working on making a bracket. The first bracket I made was out of 1/8" 6051 aluminum, but it flexes too much. I am going to have to make one out of thicker aluminum or steal.

Charley
    Wow Charley, I'd have thought the Radical halo was plug and play on a Radical car.
    That's crazy having to fabricate mounting pieces to fit their part on their car, especially given the cost of the piece...

Thanks for the feedback.... I may reconsider...

Wow Charley, I'd have thought the Radical halo was plug and play on a Radical car.
    That's crazy having to fabricate mounting pieces to fit their part on their car, especially given the cost of the piece...

Thanks for the feedback.... I may reconsider...
    It turned out to not be too hard to mount up. I took a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum (5056 T6) aluminum that was about 4" wide and 6" long and fabricated a bracket. Worked great.

Here is the bracket

And here is what it looks like installed
    Last edited by CharleyH; 05.07.16 at 10:47 AM.

That's a lot of trouble to mount, but you must have needed to raise the halo because of your shoulder height in the cockpit?

I mounted mine using the holes and it seems fine. Just a little awkward getting my 6'5" frame in and out....

Noticed in your photo catalogue that you experienced the same issue I did with one of your air jacks, where the lower seal became unseated and caused problems.

I had a very good outcome dealing directly with the parent company Lister with info and parts.

That's a lot of trouble to mount, but you must have needed to raise the halo because of your shoulder height in the cockpit?

I mounted mine using the holes and it seems fine. Just a little awkward getting my 6'5" frame in and out....

Noticed in your photo catalogue that you experienced the same issue I did with one of your air jacks, where the lower seal became unseated and caused problems.

I had a very good outcome dealing directly with the parent company Lister with info and parts.
    That's great. You must be "leg tall", I am 6' tall but I am "body tall". In the stock location the I could fit under it but the Halo was too low to do the job right. The halo should be at the height of your cheek bone. In the stock location it was near the bottom of my helmet so I was concerned that in a crash my helmet could rise over the halo.

How did you get three holes to line up?

Yes the seal in one of my jacks rolled. I got a seal kit from the manufactures US importer. The fix was easy, except taking off the side pod was a bit of a pain.

Charley

That's great. You must be "leg tall", I am 6' tall but I am "body tall". In the stock location the I could fit under it but the Halo was too low to do the job right. The halo should be at the height of your cheek bone. In the stock location it was near the bottom of my helmet so I was concerned that in a crash my helmet could rise over the halo.

How did you get three holes to line up?

Yes the seal in one of my jacks rolled. I got a seal kit from the manufactures US importer. The fix was easy, except taking off the side pod was a bit of a pain.

Charley
    Yep, 36" inseam.... leg tall!
    Halo seems to be in the correct position on my helmet, by my ears.

The threaded holes are all there and capable of mounting LHD or RHD. Just had to locate by feel.

The US supplier wasn't very keen to help, while the British parent company couldn't have been more obliging. Sent me a new barrel and two gasket kits...... N/C! The US co, when they finally did reply, had no barrels and only one kit in stock... for ~$16 + ship..

Yep, 36" inseam.... leg tall!
    Halo seems to be in the correct position on my helmet, by my ears.

The threaded holes are all there and capable of mounting LHD or RHD. Just had to locate by feel.

The US supplier wasn't very keen to help, while the British parent company couldn't have been more obliging. Sent me a new barrel and two gasket kits...... N/C! The US co, when they finally did reply, had no barrels and only one kit in stock... for ~$16 + ship..
    Glad it worked out for you. For some reason the holes in yours look like they are in different locations than mine. My headrest had four holes and only two lined up to the mounting holes, and the other two lined up for mounting it for the passenger seat. It looks like you have the]red holes that line up.

Charley

Glad it worked out for you. For some reason the holes in yours look like they are in different locations than mine. My headrest had four holes and only two lined up to the mounting holes, and the other two lined up for mounting it for the passenger seat. It looks like you have the]red holes that line up.

Charley
    My halo has the same 4 threaded holes, which meant it can be mounted using three holes on either left or right side of the cockpit. I'm confident yours would have been the same, given our cars are same vintage (2012/2013) and our halos are also Radical.

Thread Information