Liked: 0

Default Smallest Enclosed Trailer for FV?

Alright FV guys, got a question for everyone: What is the smallest enclosed trailer a FV or FST will fit in? 6x12, 7x14, 8x16?

I'm karting right now and considering moving to FV or FST in a year or two. I need my own trailer now because my "teammate" with the trailer isn't traveling this year to race. I'd like to buy once, something that I could potentially use for a FV or FST further down the road. I don't plan on working on the kart/car inside the trailer. It would just be used for storage and transport. The smaller the better. I know everyone always says the bigger the better but two karts in a 6x12 has worked well for a few karting seasons now.

Thanks for all the help, Morgan

Liked: 1417

I just sold my FV this weekend, and it was rolled onto a 7x14 enclosed, which was perfect. While you could probably do a 6x12, personally I wouldn't personally go smaller than a 7x14, unless you have no interest in carrying spare tires, tools, etc.

Liked: 113

With good planning it is easy to run out of a 6x12. In fact Steve Beeler runs a Lola CF out of a 6x12. You will need to use every bit of space and you will not be able to walk through the trailer.

I actuall think the smallest trailer you could use for a FV would be a 6x10 with a 3 foot V nose. I have also seen 7x10 V nose trailers being used.

I personally use a 7x16 V nose and have no issue carrying the car, two extra sets of tires, A spare engine, 3 small toolboxes and up to 3 bikes plus a large assortment of spares. You just have to pack efficiently and prioritize.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

I use a 6X14 and it works great. When I bought my car I picked it up with a 10' trailer. We had to take the nose off but it did fit. But it was tight.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Default Smallest Trailer?

Mschu,

We have a 7' X 16' enclosed trailer we use for test days and single car events or hauling the cars for various things and it is plenty big for hauling the car, spares and tires to the track. I think you should not try and shoe horn things in there though, but with careful packaging anything is possible. However, It is always nice to have a little extra space for when the weather turns bad.

If you purchase a trailer too small or too narrow it will limit your resale market if and when you go to sell. A 16' enclosed trailer will fit and haul most formula cars, any shorter and you have to start removing parts in order to fit the car in which can be a real PITA.

Just my .02.

Carl
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Liked: 16

Whatever you get, you will fill it up. I went from an open trailer to a 8.5X16 and i thought I was never going to run out of room. Now, for long trips, I am almost at weight and room capacity. If you are really going to travel to nationals, or the runoffs. Spend the couple hundred more and get a 20 footer. If you are not worried about bringing an extra engine, couple sets of tires, tools, and various parts, go for smaller. I am considering selling my 8.5X16 and upgrading.
    Stephen Saslow

I've seen a guy use a 10 foot, by taking the nose off his Lynx B. It was about as tight as you could get and not much room for anything else other than a few things on the wall.

Liked: 113

they key here is the statement "you will fill what you have". You will run out of room in a 6x12 or a 8x24. It is just a statement of what you want to carry.

I do not buy the resale value arguement. a 6x12 cargo trailer is not very expensive and thus can not lose much value. There are plenty available used if you want to go that direction. It is far more fuel efficient to tow because of the reduced frontal area. You can easily haul all of your tools and tires if you build racks across the trailer in the center. You won't be able to haul a scooter or a golf cart - but that is inconsisten with a budget trailer anyway.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

I cannot believe that no one has asked what you plan to tow with. You need a real tow vehicle if you plan to tow a 20 X 8.5. A car will pull some 5 X10s. Mini-vans, small pickups and SUVs will tow smaller trailers.
    Your smallest printfoot for a noseless FV is 5 X 10. A FST will need 66" width.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I cannot believe that no one has asked what you plan to tow with. You need a real tow vehicle if you plan to tow a 20 X 8.5. A car will pull some 5 X10s. Mini-vans, small pickups and SUVs will tow smaller trailers.
    Your smallest printfoot for a noseless FV is 5 X 10. A FST will need 66" width.
    CAREFUL FOR THE DOOR WIDTH!!!!!
    You can do a 5x10, but the ramp door is usually too narrow!
    HendricksRacing Site:
    https://www.HendricksRacing.net

I used a Uhaul 6x12 for most of last season. It worked great. but the only room you have for stuff is around and in the car, not in front or behind. The tie down points are weak though. There are two styles, a roll up door and a double swing door. The double swing door is too narrow (you may be able to dive it in crooked and then tweak it as you go). The roll up door leaves about .5" on either side of the front hub caps. You will need to supply your own ramps.

Contributing Member captaineddie1975's Avatar
    Liked: 19

I use a Haulmark DLC Hauler 6x12 for my F500. I built tire racks on both sides of the trailer. I stow my ramps and foam bumpers for the wires (ramp door) under the car I use the electric winch in front to pull the car up onto Walmart auto ramps which gives me more room in the tail area for fuel and tool box (only carry what I've seen to be needed over the years which is not as many tools as you would think) I use supersaver spares for the car wheels when in the trailer. Lawn chairs and diffuser tail go beside the car. Nose goes in the drivers compartment. EZ-up tent and gear bag go over the front sideways Sleeping bags and cots go on either side of the front up right as does the air tank. Lubes racer tape Air density and pyrometer and other small items go in bathroom bins attached to front wall of trailer (curved not V nose) the electric lift and trailer spare go in the bed of my truck. Car is 80" o/a length and 55" wide The single axle gets me lower tolls. I bought the trailer brand new in 2007 for $2700 and have had no problems with it. I originally towed with a 1998 Dodge Dakota V6 which got great fuel mileage towing but upgraded to a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L V8 which gets over the Allegheny ridges better. The truck doesnt even know that little trailer is there. Another advantage of a small trailer is parking in confined restaurant parking lots. You can get in and out easier and take up less spaces when parking.

Thanks for all the replies! I was leaning towards a 14x7 which is perfect for karting now. I agree, you will fill whatever size trailer you have. I've got a 2500 GMC gasser, so I'm covered for just about any size. I just wanted to avoid buying a trailer that a FV physically wouldn't fit into.

If you're still looking for a trailer I've decided that I need something bigger now that I converted to FST (wider actually) so my 14 X 6 is available. If interested in dicsussing, drop me a note.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

I run a 14x7 enclosed. Lots of racks all over the walls. 8 tires fit on a custom rack on the forward wall. Electric winch, a small fold-down desk, etc. It's also short enough to fit into a conventional garage, so headroom is not so good. I use rollbar pads over the doors to prevent excessive brain damage. I tow with a '07 4Runner which has 5000 pound towing capacity; we're probably in the 4000 pound range fully loaded. I'll occasionally tow shorter distances with my '08 Tacoma, but it really is not happy with the full load. I aspire to a 18' or 20' long trailer, but not possible without a tow vehicle upgrade.

Liked: 3

I rented a 6×12 trailer to possibly pick up a vee. The door opening is 55 3/4". Will a vee fit through the door? What are some measurements of the front track, outside edge to outside edge of the front wheel?

Liked: 3

Default Do-able

OK, I failed to read the previous post close enough. Nonetheless, lessons learned are as follows. A 6x12 swing door enclosed trailer is too narrow to just roll the car in, as previously stated. You can put it in on an angle, for example rolling in the LF until the RF hits the side. Then using a floor jack or engine hoist swing the car into a straighter line and it will roll in. With the nose off the car we had room to put tires and other spares behind the car. Save yourself the trouble and get a roll-up door if you are going to use a 6x12. Otherwise go with a 7x14.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Default Won't fit?

My Vee is 57 - 58 wide in the front inches with the tires on.

Liked: 300

What an interesting question. Depending on your tow vehicle this is a million dollar question. I just want to let you know that you can tow quite a lot with a non conventional tow vehicle. I inherited a single axle open FV trailer from someone who bought a car from me when he upgraded to an enclosed trailer which I think was a 6-7'x12'.

I have used that trailer to move nearly everything I own when I moved back to PA from MD. Believe it or not my tow vehicle was a 2002 Saturn 4 door and now a 2014 Chevy Cruze. I have loaded the trailer until the axle is 1" from the frame and made the 130 mile trip probably 200 or more times.

I averaged 30-34mpg with the Saturn and similar with the Cruze when towing. The big thing to remember is to always load the trailer so you keep the tongue weight under 200-300lbs but never less than 100lbs. Also both cars are manuals since I have never owned a car with an automatic. When traveling the 95-83 interstate between the two locations there are some pretty good hills north of Baltimore that would slow me down when heavily loaded but planning ahead makes a big difference in keeping up your momentum, which you should have learned from racing a vee!

I have never weighted any of my loads but the most I have carried is 30 sheets of 1/2" OSB which weight around 50lbs each and the trailer is probably 500lbs. The trailer does have the 12" wheels and I have worn out one set so far.

So with careful thought you can think outside the box when it comes to towing and vehicles that you can use. So with good planning you can use most mid sized cars to tow with and as an added bonus you have a daily driver that gets in the upper 30's for fuel millage with the best with the Saturn being almost 40 and the Cruze the best at 42. Plus with the Saturn as well as the Cruze if you fold down the rear seats you can carry up to 10' 6" long things like 2x4 and tubing which I would do quit a bit.

Ed

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 58

My plan eventually is to get a small (6' or 7' x 12'-14') single axle enclosed trailer and tow it with our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. The towing capacity with trailer brakes is 3500 lbs. Total weight loaded with car & spares should be in the 2600lb - 2700lb range. Probably not the most desireble choice, but it should work.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

I have seen people with Vees in 5'X 10" enclosed trailers. Nose needs to be off and I expect creativity required.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Do a search for Jon Staudacher. He home builds his plywood enclosed trailers. The last one I saw was a single axle and had a DSR inside, a spare DSR on the roof and room for spares and tools. His tow vehicle was a Mazda 3.
    Good luck.

Liked: 51

Default 10 ft V-nose trailer

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I have seen people with Vees in 5'X 10" enclosed trailers. Nose needs to be off and I expect creativity required.
    My 10ft V-nose trailer works gr8. I drive the Mysterian into the trailer with two inches clearance in the front and one inch in the back. I carry a lot of spares and equipment on racking including compressor and generator. With the Falken tyres we don't need to haul extra tyres....but there's space for that too.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

i have a 10' x 5' that i use for storage. the car fits with the nose off and a ramp to lift the nose up about 2'. this is an absolute minimum and it can be done. should it be done? from personal experience i say get a 12' if you can

Thread Information