Liked: 43

Default AIM to non-AIM wideband - wiring question

Hi Folks,

I am installing an aftermarket (non AIM) wideband sensor in my car and have a quick question about the wiring.

Aside from the switched power to the sensor module, do I just hook up the 0-5v output from the wideband sensor module to the "Analog Input" (Pin 1) on the AIM system? No other pins required (e.g. ground, V ref, +V)? It seems a little easy...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Alex
    1972 Mallock MK12 F3 (ex-Ray Mallock / Alf Zeller)

https://www.facebook.com/ZellerRacing

Classifieds Super License dsmithwc04's Avatar
    Liked: 177

Is the wideband sensor you have Analog or CAN. That would make a big difference. If it's analog, then you would just wire it to a 4 pin AIM connector. You can see the pin out of the analog channel connectors through AIM-Sportline website
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

TO make it easier, here is a link to the way the AIM analog wideband connects. Should be the same for any other analog wideband. around pg 5 or 6 is where you will fine what you need.

http://aim-sportline.com/download/do...pinout_eng.pdf

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help Dan!

I the wideband I chose to purchase was the PLX unit. And yes, it has a Analog Output.

I have reviewed the AIM pinout in the XG-Log data sheet and it shows Pin 1 as being the "Analog Input". Pin 4 is the "V reference".

Why would I use Pin 4 vs Pin 1? --- or perhaps it doesn't matter?

V ref is a 5v signal that is compared to the voltage received from the lambda sensor. Did that answer your question?

Default Feeling stupid...

I got the conceptual intent behind the V Ref. It made sense to me as it related to a Pot when I installed a TPS.

It however doesn't make sense to me in this context. So no, I guess I'm still not clear.

The PLX wiring manual is located HERE

In the AIM XG-Log manual, under "Technical Characteristics", it has a Voltage Output (V Ref) = 4.5 V (for potentiometers). This suggests to me that the V ref isn't needed in my application. Is that a correct assumption?

From that PDF which you provided a link to, I used PDF Page 6 "LAMBDA CONTROLLER CABLE "ANALOG METALLIC BINDER" version".

That diagram has the "Pin 1 = Lambda Out" and "Pin 2 = GND" -- Based on that V Ref isn't required. And a GND maybe not be required based on the PLX manual.

Thanks again for your time. I do appreciate it!!

I just hope my public admission of ignorance helps someone in the future!!

Cheers

On the LCU AIM lambda sensor only Gnd and lambda out is used. However, I'm not sure if your particular unit will send out the voltage that the logger is expecting. I would definitely use the analog signal and ground going to your AiM logger. the Vref is something I'm not completely sure but I'm leading towards your not needing it. Matter a fact, the AIM pinout shows the LCU ONE lambda unit sending out lambda out, ground, rs232RX and rs232TX. The TX and RX are used for sending data to/from an ECU IIRC so those aren't used in our case. I think you will be fine with only Ground and Lambda signal.

Since your unit uses the LSU 4.2 sensor, make sure you calibrate it in free air (disconnected from the bung) at least before every event. I use the LCU ONE because it uses the LSU 4.9 which is auto calibrating. You can get them used off of ebay for $200 btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post

I just hope my public admission of ignorance helps someone in the future!!

Cheers

If you look at my posts, you'll fine that is my sentiment exactly. I have no problem showing any ignorance towards a particular subject by asking a question. At least from that point on I know a little bit more than I did before.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks again for all your assistance

The V4 of the PLX actually does use the LSU 4.9 sensor and it's auto calibrating. It also measures it's own health, etc.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O...7346002726.htm

The manual doesn't seem to have been updated from V2 which did use the LSU 4.2 sensor.

That's the reason I went the PLX route -- Ok, the second reason... the first was the price.

Just to close the loop, I will be making the connections as follows:
    • PLX 0-5V Analog Wideband Output ---> AIM Pin 1 - "Analog input"

I just noticed a diagram on the back of the box on the website photos doesn't have a Ground output... So I'll presume it's not needed if the controller itself is grounded. I will just make sure both AIM and the Wideband controller are both grounded at the same location.

Thanks again!

Thread Information