Liked: 530

Default how to strap OMP arm restraints??

does anybody have a picture or diagram how to strap / use OMP arm restraints? they came with the loop strap already through the d-rings on one end of the arm pad and the other end of the arm pad has d-rings and just a flat strap. I assume the loop strap will go down to the cam lock and put the shoulder buckle end through it. But I can't figure out how to get the flat strap to hold the pad around my arm with the loop strap already using the d-rings on the other end.

I think they're the same style as Sparco if that helps anyone answer my question.

thanks,
    mike

Liked: 1119

Wrap the pad around your arm (where on the arm is a matter of debate) and double the strap back through the single D-ring on the far side, then cinch it into place through the double-D like you do your helmet strap. The loop at the end of the strap is to be captured in the hardware for fastening your shoulder strap into the buckle.

Not my favorite system, so I went cheap with G-Force so I can easily clip and unclip to reach my camera controls.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

hmmmm - I can't quite seem to do that. Mine have double d-rings on both ends, unlike the web pictures of OMP arm restraints which show double on one end and single on the other. there is a flat strap sewn in, which I'll call the arm cinch strap, since it seems it is to close the arm pad around the arm, similar to how you described.
    However, the loop strap, which is flat on one end and looped on the other, was pre-inserted (and tightened) through the double d-rings opposite where the flat cinch strap begins. In this way, it is not obvious how I can bring the cinch strap through the opposite rings and back to secure.
    So I am now thinking the loop strap was incorrectly inserted at the wrong end from the factory and should instead begin at the same end as the cinch strap. This would free up the opposite end d-rings to hook the cinch strap through and tighten. It would not double back to the origin end.

these sparcos are almost the same

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Let the Tie-Dyed prophet be you guide?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
    Nice demonstration of why I like G-Force.

Sorry, but I'm now at least as confused as Mikey about how to work the OMP, Sparco, or Simpson sets pictured. It must be a decent design to be so common...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I don't use that type, but it sound like they were shipped attached to the wrong D-rings. You only want 1 strap per pair of D-rings, so as mentioned: strap the pad to your arm with the "far side" D-rings, attach the loose strap to the D-rings at the sewn end, they are not being used otherwise. Omp may be able to send you some instructions.

Liked: 3

I have this type.

Reference the top arm restraint. The strap on the restraint wraps around and fastens like your helmet. Then you pull to set the tightness on your arm. I wear it just below my elbow.

The long stand alone strap in the picture goes in the other set of D-Rings again like your helmet. Your shoulder harness goes through the looped ends and you pull the other end of the strap by the restraint to set the length.

I found this pic that is a little bit better.

Nick Sullivan
    F5 #92
    '97 Red Devil T-27
    facebook.com/SullySpeedShop twitter.com/SullysSpeedShop

Thanks all - Nick's response clarifies as we thought, mine were shipped with the loop strap hooked into the wrong d-rings.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Once you have them in place while strapped in the car, mark the location and sew them onto your driving suit with Nomex thread. Very convenient. They don't get lost.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 928

I also ty rap the excess strap around my arm to itself so it doesn't flop around.

And do likewise for the strap that attaches to the buckle hardware.

the less loose stuff in there the less difficult it is to get everything done up.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
    I have those too, except I attach them to the lapbelts, not the should straps.

Not sure it really matters....

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    I have those too, except I attach them to the lapbelts, not the should straps.
    Not sure it really matters....
    And I run the crotch straps through the arm restrain rings so everything comes free when I hit the cam release and jerk my arms up. I gather that's not the recommended way to do things but I like it.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    And I run the crotch straps through the arm restrain rings so everything comes free when I hit the cam release and jerk my arms up. I gather that's not the recommended way to do things but I like it.
    On my harness the lap belts do go through the crotch straps.
    I suppose it depends on where the camloc lives. Mines on a shoulder.

Thread Information